Nokon Cable Housings

Old August 19th 04, 11:05 PM
Biff Stephens

Default Nokon Cable Housings

I just ordered some Nokon cable housings for my bike. Campy stuff,
everything else is pretty standard..Anyone have any thoughts about the
housings? I would like to here both good and bad stories if you got um...

Biff Stephens

--
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. (Sheryl Crow)

Old August 20th 04, 01:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

biff- I just ordered some Nokon cable housings for my bike. Campy stuff,
everything else is pretty standard..Anyone have any thoughts about the
housings? I would like to here both good and bad stories if you got um..
BRBR

Expensive, hard to install, doesn't change the performance of the shifters.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 20th 04, 03:09 PM
Lou Holtman

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " schreef in bericht
biff- I just ordered some Nokon cable housings for my bike. Campy stuff,
everything else is pretty standard..Anyone have any thoughts about the
housings? I would like to here both good and bad stories if you got um..
BRBR

Expensive, hard to install, doesn't change the performance of the

shifters.

And ugly on a Campy equipped bike

Lou

Old August 20th 04, 03:35 PM
Weisse Luft

No change for Campy? They made my Shimano operate much better. Braking
performance is greatly improved. Shifting is crisper on drops and
easier on increases.

The only weakness is the plating which soon wears off. Its best to
cover the segments that will be under the bar tape with clear
heatshrink. Use 3/16" clear all the way to the shifter/levers. If you
cover the entire length of the housings with heatshrink, you will extend
the life and keep them clean. It adds a tiny bit of weight but its
worth it.

If you have any segments touching carbon fiber (bars, stem etc), using
the heatshrink is a must otherwise the aluminum will eventally
dissolve.

--
Weisse Luft

Old August 20th 04, 07:45 PM
Gary Young

Weisse Luft wrote in message ...
No change for Campy? They made my Shimano operate much better. Braking
performance is greatly improved. Shifting is crisper on drops and
easier on increases.

The only weakness is the plating which soon wears off. Its best to
cover the segments that will be under the bar tape with clear
heatshrink. Use 3/16" clear all the way to the shifter/levers. If you
cover the entire length of the housings with heatshrink, you will extend
the life and keep them clean. It adds a tiny bit of weight but its
worth it.

If you have any segments touching carbon fiber (bars, stem etc), using
the heatshrink is a must otherwise the aluminum will eventally
dissolve.

It looks like Aztec has a similar product that addresses that concern:

www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=19332859792&d=single&c=Repair%20Parts &sc=Cable%20and%20Housing&tc=Brake%20Sets&item_id= AC-5900
Old August 20th 04, 11:25 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:17:44 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
wrote:

In article ,
says...

No change for Campy? They made my Shimano operate much better. Braking
performance is greatly improved. Shifting is crisper on drops and
easier on increases.

I think he meant no performance gain over decent cables and casings.
If your casing was of poor quality to begin with, then you might get a
gain in performance.

Also I suspect many people do not cut their housings as well as they
could, whereas the Nokon ends are (I think) very square from the
start.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 20th 04, 11:47 PM
Weisse Luft

Even the latest Shimano brake housing is spiral wound. The Noko
housing is much stiffer in compression, leading to a firmer feel.

Nokon also has full-length cable coverage with a PTFE liner. Thi
keeps the cable friction minimal, preventing road dirt, spilled sport
drink and the like from affecting the cable friction.

The advantage in the shifting is the bend radius of the cable force
the housing to conform. In other systems, the housing has much mor
stiffness which changes bend radius of the internal cable depending o
tension. This causes variable friction with the housing. Nokon ha
constant friction over the range of cable tension and its very low

--
Weisse Luft

Old August 21st 04, 01:08 AM

Biff Stephens writes:

I just ordered some Nokon cable housings for my bike. Campy stuff,
everything else is pretty standard..Anyone have any thoughts about
the housings? I would like to here both good and bad stories if you
got um...

Although I looked at the cable housing as it is shown on various web
sited, I haven't had it in hand but think I can see what their method
is. From appearances the housing is made of 10mm straight aluminum
tubes with (ideally) spherical countersinks on both ends. These are
alternately threaded onto a control cable together with a ball having
a similar diameter bore. The bore must be slightly larger diameter
than the cable so that the cable can pass through when curved. The
concept appears to be that the housing requires no force to bend and
that it has full circular contact at its spherical joints.

In function, the housing approximates a constant length housing but is
not entirely unchanging in length depending on cable diameter and
where that cable rides on the inside of the housing. I don't know
what the design is inside so it is not apparent whether the spheres or
the tubes furnish a bearing surface in cable curves.

As has been discussed here before, spiral wound steel cable housing is
essentially incompressible and by its springy stiffness assures smooth
curves when bent. It is not constant length but then that has never
been a problem until 30-speed MTB's began shifting from the handlebars
while moving slowly, a condition where fairly large cable bending
(length change) can occur. For this purpose Shimano developed
constant length cable housing (that should not be used for brakes).

I don't see any benefits of Nokon housing and find curious that no
enlarged cross section view or diagram is offered, something that
would quickly answer many questions. The housing does not have less
friction, nor does it serve any useful function for brakes. STI
constant length shift cable is not heavier and is truly constant
length. Where are the benefits other than claiming to save weight for
weight watchers?

Jobst Brandt

Old August 21st 04, 01:36 AM

Biff Stephens writes:

[...]

would quickly answer many questions. The closest is at:

http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/main...article_ID=127

The housing does not have less friction, nor does it serve any useful
function for brakes. Teflon liners can be used with spiral steel
housings as well. STI constant length shift cable is not heavier and