"Cycling is not a sport"

Old July 24th 03, 08:09 PM
Daniel S. Lieb

Default "Cycling is not a sport"

I don't want to start the NASCAR debate again. I will say that it must take a
lot of physical effort to control a 1200 pound thoroughbred racing at near-full
to full speed.

Hiding in the woods like a militia member and shooting at a duck with a
high-powered scope requires no physical effort and barely any skills. Bring
back rocks and spears to hunting. I say that if your hands are good enough for
bears, that are good enough for human fishermen.

Dan

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article , says...

Personally I am offended when hunters and fisherman are referred to as
"sportsman". And what kind of athletic ability is required in auto-racing,
horse racing, or chopping through a log with a chain saw?

Auto racing requires a lot of physical effort as well as excellent hand eye
coordination. Hunters and fisherman require a different set of skills.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\,_
(_)/ (_)

Old July 24th 03, 08:13 PM
Michael

"Daniel S. Lieb" wrote in message ...
I don't want to start the NASCAR debate again. I will say that it must

take a
lot of physical effort to control a 1200 pound thoroughbred racing at

near-full
to full speed.

Yeah, they must have some awesome workouts during the winter to keep the
foot in shape to press down on the accelerator.

M.

Old July 24th 03, 09:08 PM
enoch

(Mike Krueger) wrote in message ...
And what kind of athletic ability is required in auto-racing,
horse racing, or chopping through a log with a chain saw?
I think we just need separate words to describe people who actually expend
energy when they compete and those who just sit on their asses.

I am no fan of auto racing, but I do think that maintaining utter concentration
while encased in a hot Nomex suit and full face helmet while steering a race
car at 200mph for 3 hrs straight requires some athletic skill and endurance. I
wouldn't describe it as just sitting on one's ass.

I'd say that since above average "fitness" is relativly easy to gain,
compared to other efforts one has to invest to compete in *anything*
on a professional level, and since it's probably an advantage in any
of these competions, "fitness" automatically becomes a factor which
can decide between winning and loosing.
Even a chess player like Kramnik talks about how he became a better
tournament player after doing some sport (erm, and drinking less
vodka).

Formula 1, as an example for racing, is an extremly demanding sport.
Back in the 70s (I think), rules had to be changed because the
acceleration in fast corners caused drivers to pass out. If you see
old videos of Nigel Mansell being totally shot, unable to stand after
a two hours race, you see that racing demands a lot. Compare that to
todays drivers, seemingly unaffected after a race, one can conclude
that they have to be quite fit.

Here's some (somewhat dumbed down) article about fitness & f1
http://www.health24.co.za/fitness/Sp...-491,13779.asp

They claim Coulthard to have a resting HR of 40.
Old July 25th 03, 03:46 AM
Cycling Potato e

Isn't this guy just pulling what the Mercury News columnist did last
year? It generated a TON of email to the editor, which I think is the
whole point of the article.

Pretty cheap trick if you ask me. I'd write to the advertising
entities with your complaints, as publishers pay attention to issues
affecting revenue.

Maureen

"Marty" wrote in message ...
"TbosS" wrote in message

So says SF Gate columnist:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...22/fool227.DTL

I sure hope this isn't the "all-American" opinion. Else all hope is lost
(for Americans that is ;-)).

Certainly not an "all-American" opinion, but definitely a "many-American
male sports enthusiast" opinion. Before Lance Armstrong, I'd say it was a
"90%-American male sports enthusiast" opinion. LA has done a lot of good
for the sport in America. There will always be guys like this no-talent
ass-clown "Betting Fool" that we'll have to deal with. Do other countries
have to deal with guys like this? I would imagine so, but do they get to
write and publish garbage like this in a what appears to be a reputable
newspaper? Man, I'd love to see someone slam Tiger Woods and golf like this
guy has slammed LA and bicycle racing.

Old July 25th 03, 04:27 PM
Didier A. Depireux

Daniel S. Lieb wrote:
Well, mowing the lawn (except for a riding mower) in a hot summer's day is a
*workout* but when competetive grass cutting comes on espn 16, i'm getting rid

Well, lawnmower racing _is_ a sport,
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/d...7/group980.jpg

And how about the Monster Garage mower thing, where they modified a Mustang
into a mower that could mow at 60 mph?

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux
685 W.Baltimore Str

Runner's Knee and Cycling Running Bear General 13 July 27th 04 04:07 AM
More Paris Cycling - Along Southern Rim Elisa Francesca Roselli General 3 May 26th 04 02:01 AM
waterproof cycling jacket bpr General 19 April 24th 04 03:34 PM
LAB? David L. Johnson General 171 April 3rd 04 09:13 PM
Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 05:56 AM