Campagnolo components and the Tour...

Old July 5th 05, 12:01 AM

Default Campagnolo components and the Tour...

I noticed in the Velo News Tour supplement that 12 of the 21 teams are
using Campy components. Seems like I remember hearing that the ratio of
bikes sold through bike shops with Shimano or Campy components is
something like 80/20 or so. Has that been changing recently, or do pro
racers just prefer Campagnolo?

Old July 5th 05, 01:01 AM

Of course, it couldn't have anything to do with Campagnolo simply
outbidding Shimano for sponsorships of the teams... :-)

Old July 5th 05, 02:46 AM
Wannagofast

Campy been sponsoring procycling in Europe for seemingly forever.

Shimano has significantly encroached on Campy's domain.

You could say Shimano outbid Campy on 9 of those teams..

ps.com...

Old July 5th 05, 06:44 AM

I have both Campy Record 10 and Shimano Dura Ace 8 speed. I find that the
Shimano shifts the front better than the campy. Campy having a longer throw
than the Shimano. The Campy has some play on the front upshift lever before
the cable starts to move. There is not any stack in the cable, just the
ergo lever has some slop. I like the hoods on the Shimano better. I cannot
speak for the Shimano 10 speed, never tried it.

I went for the Campy on my new bike to try something different. I liked the
~100 grams savings on the levers and the hidden shift cable.

Both work close enough to be competitive. Note 6 maybe 7 years in a row
Shimano has won the Tour de France. But I don't think it is the equipment.
Remember it is the motor not the bicycle. I think the pro team use whatever
they get paid more to use as long as using the equipment wouldn't put them
at a disadvantage.

cel

"Wannagofast" wrote in message
m...
Campy been sponsoring procycling in Europe for seemingly forever.

Shimano has significantly encroached on Campy's domain.

You could say Shimano outbid Campy on 9 of those teams..

ps.com...

Old July 5th 05, 06:49 AM
mark

wrote :
I noticed in the Velo News Tour supplement that 12 of the 21 teams are
using Campy components. Seems like I remember hearing that the ratio of
bikes sold through bike shops with Shimano or Campy components is
something like 80/20 or so. Has that been changing recently, or do pro
racers just prefer Campagnolo?

There was a time when Campagnolo was used by almost every pro racer, it
wasn't until a few years ago that a Shimano-equipped rider won the Tour de
France. Superior marketing, deep pockets, a willingness to innovate and some
good products have enabled Shimano to become a dominant player in the
high-end road bike market, which was once dominated by Campagnolo.
--
mark

Old July 5th 05, 02:48 PM

I noticed in the Velo News Tour supplement that 12 of the 21 teams are
using Campy components. Seems like I remember hearing that the ratio of
bikes sold through bike shops with Shimano or Campy components is
something like 80/20 or so. Has that been changing recently, or do pro
racers just prefer Campagnolo?

In the US the 80/20 Shimano/Campagnolo split for new bikes is more
likely 95/5. But in Europe, where almost all professional bike racing
occurs, it is likely very different. Someone from Europe would have to
give an estimate of the split. By reading the various British cycling
magazines I get the perception Campagnolo is very common in Europe,
unlike the US.

As for judging what sells in the consumer market based on what the pros
ride, most of the pros seem to be using tubulars on deep dish carbon
wheels. I don't see those too often.

Old July 5th 05, 05:56 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Most bicycles in the US that start as frames in bike shops are
equipped with Campagnolo in the US. Campagnolo, on the other hand,
can't seem to get their arms around OEM. Of the bicycles we sell,
about 95% are Campagnolo.

I really am wondering when I ask this of you... I'm not trying to insult you
at all. But how many of the bikes do you sell with square-taper (probably
quite a few with Campy) bottom brackets or threaded stems?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training