Tactics

Old April 21st 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Tactics

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:40:14 +0200, Susan Walker
wrote:

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2009/4/20/...-does-theo-bos

It looks much worse there than in the earlier video -- seems offensive
to me, but dopey that Bos got himself caught up in it. Or at least
"offensive" in that he wasn't just trying to push Impey away, he might
have been trying to pull himself past Impey. So he wasn't
intentionally crashing the guy, but was yanking on him, not trying to
just fend him off.

Not good. At a *minimum* he should have been DQ'd.

Old April 21st 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 00:30:26 +0200, Susan Walker
wrote:

Carl Sundquist wrote:
A lot of what happened needs further
clarification by Bos.

He writes in Dutch:
http://www.rabosport.nl/heldenprofie...%20Bos/107#107

My translation:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/2009/4/20/...ally-making-me

Everytime I watch that that think about it I get more confused. The
whole thing was so weird.

Old April 21st 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

He writes in Dutch:
http://www.rabosport.nl/heldenprofie...%20Bos/107#107

My translation:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/2009/4/20/...ally-making-me

Thanks. Did he swear on the grave of his dog?

Old April 21st 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Apr 20, 9:45*pm, "Robert Chung"
wrote:

Thanks. Did he swear on the grave of his dog?

dumbass,

i can accept that bos is a nice guy and didn't get up in the morning
and think "i'm going to throw the yellow jersey into the barriers",
but nice guys can still be dumbasses that can cause a lot of damage
and that shouldn't go unpunished.

Old April 21st 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

RonSonic wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:43:48 -0700 (PDT), Carl Sundquist
wrote:

On Apr 20, 3:27 pm, RonSonic wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:30:52 -0700 (PDT), DirtRoadie wrote:
From pro wrestling
Jump to about 3:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyL-85X5Oh8
He should never have taken his hands off the bars.

It looks like he tried to push Impey away, as claimed and then hit that barrier
foot and reflexively grabbed on and pulled the guy down in front of himself.
Again, pretty much as claimed.

What a dumb**** maneuver.

Wow. After dissecting it over and over, frame by frame, then looking
at it in real time it's hard to feel like this was unintentional. It
looks completely fluid. A lot of what happened needs further
clarification by Bos. But it's just so utterly illogical.

I can't imagine it was intentional. Intentional means putting the other guy into
the fence, not pulling him down in front of yourself. Or would to anyone with
any brains or instinct for self-preservation.

Then again, whenever I say "inconceivable" something happens ... Then that
smartass Spaniard ....

Regardless, the whole "keep your hands on the bars" is a gray area,
not a hard and fast rule. And don't forget, they weren't even
sprinting. They still had a 600 meters to go before the sprint would
start.

Not saying it as a rule or anything, just generally something that makes sense.
Generally, and pretty much here too.

This situation is not like most (or any other that we have seen for that
matter). Usually you prohibit/penalize one rider from touching another
to keep the rider with his hand off the bar from pulling on another
rider to advance himself. Abdujaparov was well known for that. Clearly
not the case here.

The other reason is for safety/stability, but in this case if Bos hit
one of the barrier feet with his front wheel it is unlikely to make much
difference whether he had one or both hands on the bars.

People are forgetting that up until 18-19 years ago, virtually everyone
used downtube shifters, requiring them to take their hands off the bars
leading up to the sprint. Brifters were not invented to prevent crashes
in the last km of a race and it's doubtful that there has been a
significant change in the prevalence of crashes between the two eras.
Old April 21st 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Apr 20, 6:35 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

What the hell difference does it make what actually happened if the jerkoffs
here can make something out of it that it never was.

Let's make it clear that the man he took down was one that boxed him into
the fence in the first place.

dumbass,

bos wasn't boxed in. in is a loser who can't deal with the fact he is
a poser who can't win at the pro road level.

How do you define boxed in?
Old April 21st 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article , Carl Sundquist
wrote:

This situation is not like most (or any other that we have seen for that
matter). Usually you prohibit/penalize one rider from touching another
to keep the rider with his hand off the bar from pulling on another
rider to advance himself. Abdujaparov was well known for that. Clearly
not the case here.

McEwen got relegated for getting a handsling in the '04 Giro. I wonder how
differently they view that from pulling on other riders.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ay04/may17news

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old April 21st 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Apr 20, 11:24*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article , Carl Sundquist

* *McEwen got relegated for getting a handsling in the '04 Giro. I wonder how
differently they view that from pulling on other riders.

dumbass,

what do you think ?

do you think riders think having other riders tug at their ersey is
the same as getting a handsling from a teammate ?

impey was pushed across the line by a teammate. that is contrary to
the rules, but do you think officials view that in the same light as
bos putting his hands on impey ?

Old April 21st 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

wrote:

On Apr 20, 3:27 pm, RonSonic wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:30:52 -0700 (PDT), DirtRoadie wrote:
From pro wrestling
[...]

Dumbass -

The risk/reward ratio that racers will accept for any given action/
crash/purse is probably somewhat constant.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

CSC tactics Bounty Bob Racing 26 July 26th 08 08:54 AM
team tactics Bounty Bob Racing 21 September 6th 06 04:01 AM
Landis tactics Tsarkon Racing 1 July 21st 06 08:41 AM
Race Tactics mogulhead Australia 5 July 30th 05 07:19 PM
"Tactics...what do you mean?" Jet Racing 5 July 27th 05 09:19 AM