Waterproof Luggage/Duffel Bag - Recommendations?

Old August 23rd 10, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Sr.

Default Waterproof Luggage/Duffel Bag - Recommendations?

Hello,

I occasionally do some organized tours that involve camping in which
the tour organizers transport luggage from stop to stop. The luggage
usually gets transported in a truck and gets deliverd to a grassy
field or parking lot which is open to the elements including passing
showers and rain.

I am currently looking for some relatively waterproof luggage or
duffel bags to use instead of my good airline travel luggage.

I am aware of the "keg" shaped roll top dry bags but would like to
find something that is a little easier to load and unload and be able
to get at stuff on the bottom without taking everything out. Roll top
would probably be o.k. if it were along the long dimension of the bag.
I haven't found any of these if they exist at all. Shoulder straps
would be a plus.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
Old August 23rd 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-62.htm

Old August 23rd 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Steve Sr. wrote:
[...]

Ortlieb has a series of nice waterproof gear bags in all
sizes. My employee's XL model will fit his 7 year old son!

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-63.htm

140 liters really. They also have smaller ones and they come
in colors for quick sort on site.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 24th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 23 Aug, 01:48, Steve Sr. wrote:
[...]

pack stuff in bin bags then pack thaem in an army kit bag. The bag
will only be big if it's filled and if it's not filled you don'r have
to dig everything out to get at something at the bottom. With
blankets and bed roll and sleeping bag they make a good seat before
retiring.
Old August 25th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Sr.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:00:34 -0700 (PDT), Dan O
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like they have some that open in a
way that is more user friendly than the regular dry bags. These are
rather pricey! Does anyone know of clones or a place to get these at
a discount?

- Steve
Old August 25th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Sr.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:39:47 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Steve Sr. wrote:
[...]

I don't think I need one quite that big! I After all I do need the
ability to carry them!

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-63.htm

140 liters really. They also have smaller ones and they come
in colors for quick sort on site.

I am also looking at these two:

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-62.htm
http://www.ortlieb.com/_pdf_en/duffle.pdf

The duffle has internal pockets whoich would be nice although pricey.

The rack pack is less expensive but has no internal pockes and a roll
top closure.

I really need something that will hold tent preferably in stuff sack,
sleeping bag in stuff sack, ground cloth, air mattress, and pump. The
issue is the long thin roll for the tent and the fat short shape of
the sleeping bag. I may have to rethink packing.

- Steve
Old August 25th 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

try Campmor.com in kayak and canoeing. Top of the line bags are
straped and intended for open canoeing in Canada and Alaska.
sew a second insert for the factory bag in light nylon and urine.
Old August 26th 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

try NRS
NRS caters to the big river crew

Duffel for backpack and cycling use? [email protected] Techniques 7 August 17th 10 07:13 PM
Looking for waterproof recommendations Helen UK 6 November 29th 07 09:12 PM
Another luggage question. Julesh UK 5 September 14th 06 06:33 PM
Bike Luggage Doctor J. Frink UK 20 June 18th 04 12:18 PM
Luggage Rack Richard Bates UK 7 March 31st 04 09:33 AM