Looking For A Combination Handlebar, Need Help for Hybrid

Old March 2nd 05, 11:11 PM

Default Looking For A Combination Handlebar, Need Help for Hybrid

Hello, I have a hybrid Mongoose bike, orginally had the straight
handlebar for aggressive riding, but I prefer to sit as straight as
possible so I switched to the curved handlebar and adjusted it so it
was as upright as possible, it is an adjustable stem

Now I stick to street riding, but I do get aggressive attacking hills,
I like to stand up at different portions of the ride, eventually I
noticed the handlebar moving slightly back and forth, a little loose,
me being the novice rider I thought it was no big deal until one day it
collapsed forward, if I wasn't going slow I would have flipped over

So I brought it back to the bike shop and they tightened it up, I'm
sure this problem will happen again, I'm scared it will just collapse
forward without any warning next time, so what are my solutions

Do I have to go back to the agressive straight handlebar and put it at
a neutral position and not so high up forcing me to lean over more on
the ride, or do they sell a straight handlebar with some sort of an
added attachment that allows you to sit up straight or stand up and
ride aggressive if you want to switch during the ride

basically do they make a combination handlebar, sorry for the rambling
message, thanks for your help

Old March 3rd 05, 01:03 AM
araby

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Why not just check that your handlebar bolt is tightened? Any bar will
move/rotate if it's not securely fastened.

Old March 3rd 05, 02:20 AM

Araby, my question is will the handlebar ever go from being tight to
falling forward without warning, or will you notice it jiggling and a
little loose,

What do I need to check it, an allan key?

thanks again

Old March 3rd 05, 04:10 AM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) What do I need to check it, an allan
key?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whatever it takes. But do check it occasionally. There is probably a state
where the bolt (Allen or whatever) can be tightened, but the bar still seems
tight. After that, it will reach a state where the Allen can be tightened,
and the bar can be moved with slight effort. Beyond that, you reach the
condition where you are in danger of scraping your nose.

I have a similar situation, where my handlebar starts to make a creaking
noise as I pedal. I tighten it and the noise goes away.

Old March 3rd 05, 06:21 AM

Thanks for all of the great advice, I do remember that my bike attacked
hills a lot more efficiently with a straight bar not as high up and
never had a problem with it loosening, I will follow your advice

but does anyone know of a handlebar that can fit both styles, allow you
to sit upright with some sort of an attachment, yet also allow for
agressive riding, thanks again

Old March 3rd 05, 12:48 PM
Earl Bollinger

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all of the great advice, I do remember that my bike attacked
hills a lot more efficiently with a straight bar not as high up and
never had a problem with it loosening, I will follow your advice

but does anyone know of a handlebar that can fit both styles, allow you
to sit upright with some sort of an attachment, yet also allow for
agressive riding, thanks again

I think you might be looking for "bar ends".
These are special short bar stubs that go on the ends of the handlebars.
They are handy for hill climbing.

Flashlight Handlebar Mount NLee1875 Techniques 2 October 3rd 04 11:00 AM
Handlebar extension Mark UK 18 July 15th 04 02:40 PM
Flashlight Handlebar Brackets NLee1875 Techniques 1 May 10th 04 06:05 AM
Signalling - What About Handlebar Height? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 5 July 16th 03 03:26 AM