Clear Channel hosts suggest swerving autos into cyclists.

Old March 2nd 05, 09:42 PM
Bartow W. Riggs

Default Clear Channel hosts suggest swerving autos into cyclists.

Posted with permission of the Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates...
Bartow

I've received a report that hosts Mark Williams and Jay Alan usually on
KFBK, filling in for regulars Armstrong and Getty this morning on Sacramento
radio station KSTE, made light of driving at cyclists with a motor vehicle.

During a 6:34 A.M. news segment by Jamie Coffee on new video lane following
features in Nissan and other vehicles, Williams asked (and this is not an
exact quote), "How can I swerve at bicyclists?" When Coffee responded that
using a turn signal would override the system, Williams said that wasn't any
good because he didn't want to alert cyclists he was going to swerve.

If you object to the notion that it funny to scare cyclists by threatening
their lives, please contact KSTE at

If you can corroborate this report, please contact me.

Clear Channel stations have a history of bad behavior on this point. In
2003, a number of Clear Channel radio personalities made comments that
suggested endangering or harming cyclists. In a settlement with the League
of American Bicyclists, John Hogan, President and CEO of Clear Channel
Radio, said, "the comments made by Clear Channel Radio stations in
Cleveland, Houston, and Raleigh were inappropriate and intolerable . As CEO
of Clear Channel Radio, I do not support or condone the anti-cyclists
messages and have taken steps to insure they do not occur again." The
comments were in a letter written following a November 5, 2003 meeting
between LAB Executive Director Elisaa Margolin and Hogan at the company's
headquarters in San Antonio, TX.

President and CEO of Clear Channel is now Mark Mays who can be reached at

Walt Seifert
Executive Director
Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates (SABA)
(916) 444-6600

www.sacbike.org
"SABA represents bicyclists. Our aim is more and safer trips by bike."

Old March 2nd 05, 11:13 PM
Mike

"Bartow W. Riggs" wrote:

Posted with permission of the Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates...

snippage

During a 6:34 A.M. news segment by Jamie Coffee on new video lane following
features in Nissan and other vehicles, Williams asked (and this is not an
exact quote), "How can I swerve at bicyclists?" When Coffee responded that
using a turn signal would override the system, Williams said that wasn't any
good because he didn't want to alert cyclists he was going to swerve.

.. . .

I think I know what we have to do here. It is obvious that the "slap on
the wrist" method won't work.

I say we get these DJs, kit them out with lycra, get them on a road
bike, and take them on some group rides!

It's obvious that they don't know how much fun cycling is. If we showed
them, they might change their attitudes.

The cycling community cannot rest until this happens.
Old March 3rd 05, 08:32 PM
pctech

I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=59054

Thanks in advance.

Old March 4th 05, 01:09 AM
Bartow W. Riggs