Didn't this NG used to be about mountain biking?

Old December 5th 06, 04:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Gman

Default Didn't this NG used to be about mountain biking?

I'm not posting to discuss how Ride-A-Lot rides only on
sidewalks and how so many others go slow thru 'beginner'
sections of trails.

Nor am I posting to talk about how mountain bikes are
inexorably destroying the environment and/or all mountain
bikers are liars. LIARS! :-)

I actually wanted to talk about a bike...my Surly 1x1. After
much contemplation, I have decided it's too big. Yes, I
know it's hard to believe, but at 6'5", I actually _do_ want
a smaller frame on the SS. The XL just doesn't give me the
ability to get around on the bike as much as I desire with a
rigid SS.

However, I don't think I'll buy a new Surly frame retail for
~$400, because, well...I'm cheap, and it's Winter. I got
plenty of snowboarding time to reload SS's. I'm keeping my
eye out for a bargain, and that includes even swapping back
to an SS conversion (maybe an old steel Specialized again).

So if anyone knows of any options (especially you AMB-ID
crowd), drop me a line... Will likely be dealing the XL
Surly 1x1 frame too...

G out

Old December 5th 06, 05:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

Smaller = more rigid. What do you think about a Klein Adept Race frame
for $500.00? I'm cheap, too. Tom

Old December 5th 06, 01:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Vee

I actually wanted to talk about a bike...my Surly 1x1. After
much contemplation, I have decided it's too big. Yes, I
know it's hard to believe, but at 6'5", I actually _do_ want
a smaller frame on the SS. The XL just doesn't give me the
ability to get around on the bike as much as I desire with a
rigid SS.

I'm 6'3" and I never found my XL Surly 1x1 any too big. What kind of
riding are you doing that think you want a smaller bike - are you
hucking the thing or what? I think you'd be miserable on a shorter
frame if you ride XC trails of any distance. Not to mention you'd look
like a goob.

-Vee

Old December 5th 06, 02:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

Gman wrote:
[...]

I'd consider trading with someone riding a large. Craigslist.com is
pretty big in NYC. Maybe try putting up a sign in your LBS?

/s

Old December 5th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Gman wrote:
[...]

Hey! My Man! Good to see you drop in. I figgerd you for first up to
Bogus last week. I'm still riding, but waiting for it to get really
cold for the good rides. The ng has been hijacked from some idiot
that's allowed to post from his state hospital activity room. That's
what you get when the liberals get control of congress... heheheh
But let's hook up. I know you still drink beer..

CDB

CDB

Old December 5th 06, 05:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

Paladin wrote:

snip

The ng has been hijacked from some idiot
that's allowed to post from his state hospital activity room.

Dude, it's just my living room. Really!

;-)

Shawn
Old December 5th 06, 05:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Gman

On 5 Dec 2006 09:33:10 -0800, Paladin wrote:

Hey! My Man! Good to see you drop in. I figgerd you for first up to
Bogus last week.

....and you'd be right. Even tho coverage was a bit thin,
nice powder from that storm. Waiting for the next dump and
the rest of the terrain to open.

I'm still riding, but waiting for it to get really
cold for the good rides.

Missed my opportunity for my last ride up Shaw 3 weeks ago,
maybe on the frozen ground with the SS sometime...

But let's hook up. I know you still drink beer..

U know it brutha. U got my #. Whenever you're ready.
Might even talk me into a cold ride sometime too...

Old December 5th 06, 05:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Gman

I'm 6'3" and I never found my XL Surly 1x1 any too big. What kind of
riding are you doing that think you want a smaller bike - are you
hucking the thing or what? I think you'd be miserable on a shorter
frame if you ride XC trails of any distance. Not to mention you'd look
like a goob.

I ride XC and on the greenbelt with my daughter. The Surly
XL is 22", and a big 22 at that. My last SS was the size of
the L (20") Surly and it fit me better. Basically the
Surly's are sized big w/ not a lot of standover...just don't
like that. My seat is only up like 6" and I wouldn't mind
lowering it a bit.

Old December 5th 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Gman wrote:

But let's hook up. I know you still drink beer..

U know it brutha. U got my #. Whenever you're ready.
Might even talk me into a cold ride sometime too...

Well, since you mentioned it, I'll be taking my barney class up to
Tablerock tonight, via Shaw mtn, TR rd, and onto dirt from there... I
think after 7 mos they oughta be able to handle it. We'll see who
shows, and who can make it to the top without 3 or 4 breathers.

Leaving MR parking lot across from the archery range at 430 if there's
any chance you drop by. Considering what I expect to be a fairly slow
pace, we could load your backpack up with rocks and you'd probably get
a decent workout.

CDB

Old December 5th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Vee wrote:
I actually wanted to talk about a bike...my Surly 1x1. After
much contemplation, I have decided it's too big. Yes, I
know it's hard to believe, but at 6'5", I actually _do_ want
a smaller frame on the SS. The XL just doesn't give me the
ability to get around on the bike as much as I desire with a
rigid SS.

I'm 6'3" and I never found my XL Surly 1x1 any too big. What kind of
riding are you doing that think you want a smaller bike - are you
hucking the thing or what? I think you'd be miserable on a shorter
frame if you ride XC trails of any distance. Not to mention you'd look
like a goob.

-Vee

He's a clueless newb and needs a smaller frame....

CDB