Installing a headset

Old March 6th 05, 08:39 PM
Pat

Default Installing a headset

I want to eventually get a new 1 1/8" threadless headset for my project
mountain bike. When I asked about doing it myself at the LBS, the guy told
me I had to have a special tool to get the old one out and to press the new
one in. Is this right or can I manage to do it myself somehow?

thanks,

Pat in TX

Old March 6th 05, 11:02 PM
tcmedara

Pat wrote:
I want to eventually get a new 1 1/8" threadless headset for my
project mountain bike. When I asked about doing it myself at the LBS,
the guy told me I had to have a special tool to get the old one out
and to press the new one in. Is this right or can I manage to do it
myself somehow?

thanks,

Pat in TX

You can do it yourself with homegrown tools if you really want, but this is
one that's worth going to the LBS for IMO. If you feel compelled to do it
yourself, then google a bit and you'll see various contraptions you can rig
to help install headsets. That said, headsets can be tricky even with the
right tools. It's probably not cost effective to buy the tools since you
only install headsets once every few years ( I've got one on my hardtail
going on 10 years). This is the one bit of maintenance that I don't do at
home.

Tom

Old March 7th 05, 05:24 AM
Steve Knight

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:39:33 -0600, "Pat" wrote:

I want to eventually get a new 1 1/8" threadless headset for my project
mountain bike. When I asked about doing it myself at the LBS, the guy told
me I had to have a special tool to get the old one out and to press the new
one in. Is this right or can I manage to do it myself somehow?

it's not hard. use a big flat bladed screwdriver to knock out the old one. if
you do it from inside the head tube you won't do any damage. work your way
around while tapping the screwdriver with a wooden block. install the new ones
with a bit of great and a wooden block you can use a hammer to hit the bock.
just make sure it is fully seated. it works great and it is dirt easy. I just
put a Chris king on my bent that way.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old March 7th 05, 01:21 PM
Peter Cole

Pat wrote:
I want to eventually get a new 1 1/8" threadless headset for my

project
mountain bike. When I asked about doing it myself at the LBS, the guy

told
me I had to have a special tool to get the old one out and to press

the new
one in. Is this right or can I manage to do it myself somehow?

The "right" way to install is with a press, either home made or
commercial, but you can tap them on pretty easily if you go slow. I use
a piece of hardwood and a hammer. If it was a really nice frame, I'd
have the LBS do it, but since it's a project bike give it a whack
yourself.