People, more amazed and amazing than I realised

Old August 16th 05, 09:18 PM
cathwood

Default People, more amazed and amazing than I realised

I was seduced out onto the prom by the loveliness of the still and warm
evening. I didn't mean to go, I am supposed to be writing a literature
review on stress & addiction.

The unicycle seemed smoother to ride now that I have inflated the tyre a
little. Not so much bouncing around.

Three different lots of people applauded. Neumerous others said "oh my
god" or "wow". Two b*cyclists stopped to talk to me. One asked whether
I had ever "made it" as he had seen me ride up & down several times. I
presumed that he meant ridden all the way without 'falling' off and it
was a bit embarrassing to explain why I get off now and again to let the
blood ciruclate. He said he was a racing cyclist and was thinking about
buliding his own uni - something about being in engineering.

The other b*cyclist said i was doing great and that he could himself
ride a 20" of his friends.

No jerks around tonight. Except one who asked why I rode one wheel. I
wanted to ask why he went around with vomit on his shirt (but was too
polite).

Even at the end of the ride, when I wanted to ride along the pavement
but was unable to because of a group of meandering youths, they suddenly
crossed the road, leaving me a clear pavement.

It was a great evening.

I still haven't done any work on my lit review, though. Never mind. It
was worth it.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old August 16th 05, 10:25 PM
cathwood

I have also discovered that using my MP3 player when I'm riding is
great. I can pretend I can't hear to my heart's content. I can also
clear a path in front of me by mouthing to the songs (never actually
committing the cardinal sin of singing out loud with earphones in,
ofcourse). Not only am I a mad woman on a unicylce, which might seem
quaint to some, I am also muttering to myself, which makes me positively
dangerous. However, I didn't need this ploy today.

Cathy

Old August 17th 05, 12:01 AM
Mikefule

cathwood wrote:
*I He said he was a racing cyclist and was thinking about buliding his
own uni - something about being in engineering.
*

The world is full of engineers who are going to build their own unicycle
one day. It's their way of saying, "I may be an engineer, but I'm
quite wacky, really."

Engineering is all about finding elegant solutions to problems.

Problem: I need a unicycle, but know little or nothing about them.
Solution: I can buy one from a unicycle shop.
Secondary problem: Too easy - might have to go through with it.
Secondary solution: I'll say I'm going to build one, when I get time,
one day.

Sounds like a good ride, though. Did the youth really have vomit on his
shirt - and did it look like his own?

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

http://www.dolphin-morris.co.uk/

Old August 17th 05, 03:42 PM
cathwood

Sounds like a good ride, though. Did the youth really have vomit on
his shirt - and did it look like his own?

He wasn't a youth, he was older than me. And it looked like vomit to me
(and I was a nurse for 15 years so have seen a good bit of vomit).
Couldn't tell who it belonged to though, not having anything else to
compare it to.

Cathy

Old August 17th 05, 05:56 PM
Mikefule

cathwood wrote:
*He wasn't a youth, he was older than me. *

Surely being a youth and older than you are not mutually exclusive.

Old August 17th 05, 06:20 PM
cathwood

Mikefule wrote:
*Surely being a youth and older than you are not mutually exclusive.
*

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, this was true. But sadly not any
more

Cathy