Assembling Torker LX

Old August 17th 05, 02:13 AM
nxixcxk

Default Assembling Torker LX

I can't seem to attach the bearing caps to the unicycle fork on my
Torker LX...it seems as though the bolts they gave me are almost too
short. Any suggestions? Also, if I don't have a tork wrench is it
possible to guestimate when I am around 45 pounds of tork using an allen
wrench?

--
nxixcxk
nxixcxk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10250

Old August 17th 05, 02:22 AM
tholub

The bolts have little tabs on them, which go into little slots on the
frame to keep them from rotating. Make sure the tabs have dropped down
into the slots. Also, the washer goes on the end with the nut, not the
bolt; on the nut end it would keep the nut from dropping down into where
it should go.

45 ft-pounds is pretty tight if you're hand-tightening. Just crank down
on it.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old August 17th 05, 02:27 AM
nxixcxk

Ok thanks, I think I may hav emessed up on the positioning of the
washer, so I'm gonna go try that out.

Old August 17th 05, 02:32 AM
nxixcxk

Any ideas on how to remove the washer from the bolt? It's stuck way up
at the top right underneath the bolt head and I cannot seem to get it to
go down the spirally part of the bolt....argh so frustrating

Old August 17th 05, 06:08 AM
ColDawG

you have to put the nut in the fork part of the bearing holder, then the
bolts go up (so they're upside-down) into the bearing cap and thru the
nuts

--
ColDawG - I go both ways:

Your friendly, neighborhood Muniman
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

Old August 17th 05, 06:55 AM
john_childs

'Torker USA' (http://www.torkerusa.com/) has a unicycle assembly manual
at their site. It's a PDF file.

Torker recommends 45 inch-pounds of torque on the bearing clamps. 45
inch-pounds is on the high side. Most people don't have a little torque
wrench that can measure that little torque.

My rule of thumb is to use just fingertip pressure on the allen key when
tightening the bearing clamp bolts. If you make a fist around the allen
key you will get it too tight. Just hold it by your finger tips. The
bearing clamps just need to be snug. It's going to be much less than 45
inch-pounds.

It is very very common to overtighten the bearing clamp bolts. It is
very easy to do. Screws and bolts can generate a lot of clamping force
with just a little bit of a turn. Just turning the bolts an additional
half turn could way overtighten them.

If you have problems with the bearing clamp bolts vibraring loose you
can use a little bit of light strength or medium strength Loctite.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 17th 05, 06:59 AM
tholub

Oh, sorry, 45 inch-pounds isn't very much. 45 foot-pounds is quite a
bit more, in the "whale on it with a long-handled wrench" category;
that's what you'll need for the crank bolts, not for the bearing
holders. For the bearing holders, it's pretty light; usually I'll
finger-tighten them and then just give maybe one more full turn on each
of the four bolts. Basically you should tighten them until you start to
feel a bit of resistance, and not a lot more than that. Make sure the
wheel still spins freely after you tigthen them.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old August 17th 05, 09:35 AM
jagur

this isnt rocket science fella's. ..tighten the bolts so they dont come
loose. a properly tightened unicycle Bearing cap isnt going to spin like
a freaking swiss precision bearing...

for unicycle sake, stop with the Torque wrench crap. maybe its just me
but i got more torque meter in my forearm than any mechanical device
when it comes to bearing holders.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Once upon a Torker caw89 Unicycling 21 August 12th 05 07:04 PM
easy change torker cx? habbywall Unicycling 2 July 29th 05 11:24 PM
Torker Airsaddle on KH fluffinator007 Unicycling 7 January 16th 04 12:46 AM
i now hate my torker kiddie seat ubersquish Unicycling 6 October 27th 03 05:56 PM
torker upgradability duaner Unicycling 3 September 6th 03 08:01 PM