CM quote list.

Old February 24th 11, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default CM quote list.

http://chicagocriticalmass.org/quotes

"[A person...] on a bicycle can go three or four times faster than the
pedestrian, but uses five times less energy in the process. He carries
one gram of his weight over a kilometer of flat road at an expense of
only 0.15 calories. Equipped with this tool, [a person...] outstrips
the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as
well." Ivan Illich

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated).
http://www.zing.icom43.net
"She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the
mastery of life."
Frances E. Willard
Old February 24th 11, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_15_]

"Doug" wrote in message
http://chicagocriticalmass.org/quotes
He carries
one gram of his weight over a kilometer of flat road at an expense of
only 0.15 calories.

1 gram over 1 kilometer = 0.15 calories
Average weight of person = 75 kg

75,000 grams over 1 kilometer = 11,250 calories

Time to throw my bicycles away and learn how to do the one handed handstand
hop.

Old February 24th 11, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

David wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message
http://chicagocriticalmass.org/quotes
He carries
one gram of his weight over a kilometer of flat road at an expense of
only 0.15 calories.

1 gram over 1 kilometer = 0.15 calories
Average weight of person = 75 kg

75,000 grams over 1 kilometer = 11,250 calories

Time to throw my bicycles away and learn how to do the one handed
handstand hop.

I calculate that the Lexus used locally uses only 1429 calories per
kilometre (carrying 4 in climate controlled leather comfort with umpteen
airbags and a nice hi-fi)

Old February 24th 11, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 24/02/2011 05:33, Doug wrote:
http://chicagocriticalmass.org/quotes

"[A person...] on a bicycle can go three or four times faster than the
pedestrian, but uses five times less energy in the process. He carries
one gram of his weight over a kilometer of flat road at an expense of
only 0.15 calories. Equipped with this tool, [a person...] outstrips
the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as
well." Ivan Illich

In that case, walking is far better exercise than cycling.
Old February 24th 11, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

Default Sensible quote list.

Mankind has invested more than four million years of evolution in the
attempt to avoid physical exertion. Now a group of backward-thinking
atavists mounted on foot-powered pairs of Hula-Hoops would have us
pumping our legs, gritting our teeth, and searing our lungs as though we
were being chased across the Pleistocene savanna by saber-toothed
tigers. Think of the hopes, the dreams, the effort, the brilliance, the
pure force of will that, over the eons, has gone into the creation of
the Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Bicycle riders would have us throw all
this on the ash heap of history. ~P.J. O'Rourke

Old February 24th 11, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Mankind has invested more than four million years of evolution in the
attempt to avoid physical exertion. Now a group of backward-thinking
atavists mounted on foot-powered pairs of Hula-Hoops would have us
pumping our legs, gritting our teeth, and searing our lungs as though we
were being chased across the Pleistocene savanna by saber-toothed
tigers. Think of the hopes, the dreams, the effort, the brilliance, the
pure force of will that, over the eons, has gone into the creation of
the Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Bicycle riders would have us throw all
this on the ash heap of history. ~P.J. O'Rourke

P J O'Rourke is a well known American SATIRIST* best know for his role
with National Lampoon and books such as "Give War a Chance". Which
makes you quoting him in supposed support of your cause rather hilarious.

Tony

* Sati A poem, or in modern use sometimes a prose composition, in
which prevailing vices or follies are held up to ridicule. (OED)
Old February 24th 11, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 24/02/2011 18:22, Tony Raven wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Do satirists *never* attempt to make a serious point?

Old February 24th 11, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 24, 6:22*pm, Tony Raven wrote:
[...]

That may be too highbrow - he usually understands this sort of
reasoning.

See Simple Simon's wife drive her car.
Simple Simon's wife pays no road tax
Simple Simon's wife pays no tax on fuel
Simple Simon's wife pays minimum wage income tax + NI.
Simple Simon's wife paid no income Tax or NI for 16 years as an adult.
Simple Simon's wife has never paid Council Tax
Simple Simon's wife has never spent a penny on tyres, brakes, MOTs,
insurance, repairs etc.

See Simple Simon on his pushbike.
Simple Simon has paid income tax and NI for 35 years, in later years
at the higher rate.
Simple Simon has paid Road Tax for 35 years.
Simple Simon has paid fuel duty and fuel tax for 35 years
Simple Simon has paid Council Tax for 28 years.
Simple Simon pays for all MOTs, fuel, brakes, tyres etc on the car
that his wife uses.

Mind you, even that might go over his head.

--
Simon Mason

Old February 24th 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

He is much more than that you ignorant ****wit.

best know for his role
with National Lampoon and books such as "Give War a Chance". Which makes
you quoting him in supposed support of your cause rather hilarious.

And your post makes you look like an idiot - again.

Tony

* Sati A poem, or in modern use sometimes a prose composition, in
which prevailing vices or follies are held up to ridicule. (OED)

* ****: A derogatory term for a person whose behaviour is considered to
be extremely or intolerably ignorant, obnoxious, offensive or moronic.

Old February 24th 11, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

Errm. I actually created that concept you ****ing idiot.

So your wife is a bigger ****ing sponger than you are then?

Then why is he so ****ing simple as to ride a push bike then?

Mind you, even that might go over his head.

--
Simon Mason

Quote of the Day Fred Fredburger Racing 3 July 21st 08 12:53 AM
Once you have completed your preparation to list the item, you willneed to choose a price. Take into consideration the original cost of the item,its current condition and items that are similar on the website. You are nowready to list your used cloth [email protected] General 0 April 20th 08 07:20 PM
Quote of the Day Steven L. Sheffield Racing 10 July 19th 07 08:51 AM
quote of the day flyingdutch Australia 8 July 20th 05 08:56 PM
quote Birchy General 2 March 23rd 05 05:23 PM