GITAP Ride Illinois still has openings

Old January 13th 04, 02:27 AM
Mike

Default GITAP Ride Illinois still has openings

Greetings,
The Grand Illinois Trail And Parks ride is ready and raring to go for 2004.

We had a grand time on the first GITAP in 2003, and we hope to have an even
better time next year.

We've made changes and improvements after hearing feedback on the ride and
from the helpful suggestions last year's riders sent us. But GITAP will
still retain the basic qualities that sets it apart as a high quality
week-long bicycle touring experience.

The basics:

A mid-June week-long supported bicycle tour using much of the Grand Illinois
Trail and many of the state parks along the trail.
Sponsored by the League of Illinois Bicyclists with support from the
Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
Tent camping in five state parks and at one school, although nearby motels
(and a motel package) are available. Showers and luggage transportation will
be provided.
Breakfasts and dinners included - and, of course, a T-shirt.
Nightly meeting featuring ride info, occasional entertainment, and door
prizes.
Alternative on-road routes when soft trails are used.
What's new:

This year's ride will begin on Sunday, June 13, 2004, and end on Saturday,
June 19.
We'll begin and end in the DeKalb area - close to major transportation
arteries.
Western Illinois gets the spotlight this year - including Galena and its
scenic hills.
Here's the tentative route:
Sunday, 6/13 - Starved Rock State Park - 60 miles
Monday, 6/14 - Johnson/Sauk State Park - 70 miles
Tuesday, 6/15 - Morrison/Rockwood State Park - either 50 or 80 miles
Wednesday, 6/16 - Galena Middle School - 60 mile
Thursday, 6/17 - Lake Le-Aqua-Na State Park - 50 miles
Friday, 6/18 - White Pines State Park - 60 miles
Saturday 6/19 - DeKalb - 50 miles
Total - 400 to 430 miles
Two of the day's routes (Wednesday and Thursday) include fairly healthy
hills. You have three days of flat riding before them,
but do realize that both Blackjack Ridge leading into Galena and the ride
east from Galena are challenging.
The base price for the ride will be $310. Members of LIB will get a $20
discount; paying $290
(if you're unsure about your status, e-mail ). It's more than
last year, but it's still a bargain. Any profit from GITAP goes to support
LIB, which really means supporting bicycling.
The ride will be limited to 140 camping riders - 20 more than last year.
It will be first come, first serve, starting when you receive this. We're
asking for the full amount up front, but this year we will allow refunds
according to this schedule: full refund before March 12; half refund before
April 12; no refunds after April 12.
(Remember, last year we were basically filled by Feb. 1.)
Check out:
http://www.bikelib.org/gitap for additional photos and commentary
about the first GITAP.

Questions: email Chuck Oestreich or 309-788-1845

Old January 23rd 04, 10:48 PM
Larry Varney

Mike wrote:
[...]

I rode GITAP last year. Did I like it? Well, let's put it this way:
I've signed up to ride it again this year!
GITAP looks like it may turn out to be one of my must-do, favorite tours.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY