"City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

Old September 29th 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Keats

Default "City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

In article ,
"BobT" writes:

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
news
Wired has a nice article about how non-sport bikes are hot sellers again:

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels...ke_urbanbikers

"City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

Oh no!
My commuter/touring bike and I might become hip!

Not if you're over a certain age and your bike is
under a certain age.

Actually, I doubt touring bikes will ever become hip.
But then, ya never know.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 29th 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Keats

In article ,
Matt O'Toole writes:
Wired has a nice article about how non-sport bikes are hot sellers again:

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels...ke_urbanbikers

I've empirically observed a growing trend in
more practical uses of bicycles than sports
equipment, myself.

I like it.

But I also like that bicycles /can/ be sports
equipment. Or recreational equipment. Or
work vehicles.

Bicycles are so versatile, it blows my mind.

It's all too easy to get locked into a mindset
about one's own style of cycling, and dismiss
all the others. But I must admit I enjoy a
certain pleasure in seeing sprouts of acceptance
of cycling as a serious, true mode of transportation.
I hope it thrives.

Some people have taken issue with the nomenclatu
"city bike", and I kinda feel the same way. I'm rather
taken with the description of bicycling as "Folk
Transportation". I suppose if one wants to be fancily
Euro about it, they can get on their VolksFahrrad.

cheers,
Tom

Old September 29th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Chalo

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

are no lights supplied until you get all the way up to their top-of-the-line
model, the World Adventure-http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=954.

They put vertical dropouts and a chain tensioner on a bike that comes
*from the factory* with a gearhub?!?!! Are they on crack? (I mean,
this is Pacific Cycle we're talking about, so it's probably a
combination of betel nut and counterfeit Valium, but still... WTF?)

Chalo

Old September 29th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Keats

In article . com,
Chalo writes:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

are no lights supplied until you get all the way up to their top-of-the-line
model, the World Adventure-http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=954.

They put vertical dropouts and a chain tensioner on a bike that comes
*from the factory* with a gearhub?!?!!

People like to screw around with stuff.
That's why there are so many twisty-turny
knobs on sound system equipment.

Are they on crack? (I mean,
this is Pacific Cycle we're talking about, so it's probably a
combination of betel nut and counterfeit Valium, but still... WTF?)

I think it's /customers/ of whom are being spoken.
Whatever they're (we're) on is anybody's guess.

Anyways, throw some features in, and up the price, and
yer off 'n runnin'.

At least it doesn't have slidy-outy coffee cup holders.

cheers,
Tom

Old September 29th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace

On Sep 28, 7:05 am, SMS wrote:

"Good" is such a relative term.

Let's just say it's extremely rare (like never), to see one of these
commute bikes out at night using only the dynamo lights. Of course the
integrated dynamo lights are the only dynamos you're going to see around
for commuters in most parts of the U.S., for technical and demographic
reasons.

I wouldn't say they're good. They're adequate "being seen lights" though
the lack a standlight. They're probably good enough for riding slowly on
familiar streets.

I'm amazed that professionals like Joe Breeze, the people at
Specialized, the people at Shimano, etc. (not to mention hundreds of
European manufacturers) don't bow to your authoritative knowledge!
Somehow, they don't seem to recognize that you're the World's Greatest
Authority on bike lighting. They think generator lights are a good
idea, and they don't repeat all your dire warnings!

If some large company would make the effort to build a Cree based dynamo
light in large quantities then the cost of the components of that light
would come way down.

This will happen. Patience.

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 29th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
A Muzi

Tom Keats wrote:
Not if you're over a certain age and your bike is
under a certain age.
Actually, I doubt touring bikes will ever become hip.
But then, ya never know.

You missed it! That was so 1978.
Another bike shop manager marvelled at the 'touring' fad at the time and
commented to me "We could sell dog turds in plastic bags if they were
marked 'touring'".
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old September 29th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
A Muzi

Chalo wrote:
They put vertical dropouts and a chain tensioner on a bike that comes
*from the factory* with a gearhub?!?!! Are they on crack? (I mean,
this is Pacific Cycle we're talking about, so it's probably a
combination of betel nut and counterfeit Valium, but still... WTF?)

Or just PCP and toluene? Sky Yaeger isn't at Bianchi any longer.
Bianchi also has an internal gear bike with the wrong ends and a
tensioner for 2008. Whatever for? Why, 'urban bike' with disc brake of
course.
O tempora, O mores.
Old September 29th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Mike Jacoubowsky

At least it doesn't have slidy-outy coffee cup holders.

You can make fun of cup holders all you want, but people sometimes decide
with $23k car to buy based on how many cupholders it has. The bike industry
could do far worse than incorporate the means to easily carry your Starbucks
or Peets coffee back home.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 29th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Andreas Oehler

Fri, 28 Sep 2007 04:05:00 -0700, SMS:

Gooserider wrote:

Cheaper is better for a dedicated commuter, I think. Of course, that depends
on the type of commute. But for something that may be locked to a rack all
day, or will be used for stops at the grocery store on the way home from
work---yes. They're making a big deal about the dynohub lights, but I don't
know how bright these lights will be. I know that there are good generator
lights(Lumotec, etc), but are these cheap ones good?

They are good enough to do the job - ride around the city or on smaller
streets in the suburbs. Brighter than much of the slamp-on headlights with
integrated battery-compartment.

Let's just say it's extremely rare (like never), to see one of these
commute bikes out at night using only the dynamo lights.

Ridiculous. have you been to central europe: Netherlands, germany,
switzerland? Towns are full of bikes at night - most with dynamo lights!

I wouldn't say they're good. They're adequate "being seen lights" though
the lack a standlight.

You don't know what you are talking about. The most standard Lumotec found
on european commuter bikes today is the "Lumotec Oval Senso Plus" - of
course with LED-standlight powered by a capacitor. On the back nearly all
commuter bikes (at least in germany) today are equipped with
dynamo-powered LED-lights with similar capacitor-standlight.

If some large company would make the effort to build a Cree based dynamo
light in large quantities then the cost of the components of that light
would come way down.

They will be available in 2-3 weeks: Busch&Müller Lumotec Fly IQ. Much
brighter and more efficient shaped beam like the Solidlights 1203D you
always praise (much dimmer than a standard Lumotec halogen light - but a
little wider). Or the Inoled 20+ Model 2008. Or the Supernova E3 Model
2008...

Andreas
Old September 29th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Andreas Oehler

Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:38:43 -0400, Gooserider:

$1900 Breezer Finesse. You're welcome.

$1900 and no chain guard? Fail.

. Crappy light

You don't know, what you are talking about. The Lumtec Fly IQ used here is
the brightest and best-shaped light for hub dynamos you can find. Will
beat most 20 W halogen lights!

Andreas