"City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

Old October 1st 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Michael Press

Default "City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

In article
,
Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
Don Wiss wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, (Tom Keats) wrote:

Thank you, I will. At least, the mechanised/motorized ones that
slide out like a CD player tray. I also like to make fun of
electric toothbrushes, electric backscratchers, electric card
shufflers, etc.

Actually electric toothbrushes can be useful as they generally will
do a better job then you can do by hand.

I looked this up once and found that most of the research indicated that
a standard Oral-B toothbrush worked as well or better than electric
toothbrushes, once the test subjects were taught proper brushing
technique.

Depends on the user's dedication. I am dedicated, quite good
with a manual toothbrush, better with an electric; and I have
my dentist's reports to work with. I used the Oral B with
the thick grippy grip and the longer bristles at the far end
of the brush; the best manual I could find, and I looked.
The Braun electric's characteristics makes it easier to do a
good job, and does a better job with equal effort.

--
Michael Press
Old October 1st 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
landotter

On Oct 1, 11:23 am, vey wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

I downright refuse to assault a roast turkey or
cross-rib or leg of lamb with a de-glorified
hedge-trimmer/chainsaw.

Even Alton Brown, geek extraordinare uses an electric knife for certain
things. According to his book, the first electric knife was sold by
sporting goods stores for cleaning fish.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Brown

OMG, He's a Baptist! How the heck did he get roped into that crap? He
always struck me as a pantheist. Oh, Alton, how dare you!!

Old October 1st 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Chalo

Paul O wrote:

Manual chokes are very practical - if you have a carburetor.
I'll stick with my modern, more reliable fuel-injected engine. Thank you
very much. ;-)

On a fuel injected engine, it's called a "fast idle knob" and it's
just about as useful. Many diesel trucks still have them.

Chalo

Old October 1st 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Paul O

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" writes:
At least it doesn't have slidy-outy coffee cup holders.
You can make fun of cup holders all you want,

Thank you, I will. At least, the mechanised/motorized ones
that slide out like a CD player tray. I also like to make
fun of electric toothbrushes, electric backscratchers,
electric card shufflers, etc. But Western Civilization
really hit the skids with the advent of cable TV and handheld
remote controls, so people could watch such pap as infomercials
about auto-shifting bicycles.

The right electric toothbrush is a boon. I can get
better results with less effort, the results measured
by my dentists reports. The electric toothbrush gives
me much better results, and I was doing good with the
(properly chosen) manual toothbrush.

I had always wanted an electric pencil sharpener, and
the day I got it made me very happy. To this day using
it makes me happy. Well worth it for me.

If an electric pencil sharpener makes you happy then an electric pencil
eraser will bring you to a state of ecstasy.

Back in the days when young dinosaurs (like myself) roamed the earth, I
had a job working as a mechanical technician and a machinist. I often
worked closely with the designer/draftsmen and I always found it amusing
that the people on the drawings boards used motorized pencil erasers. I
mean, how lazy do you have to be to need a electric eraser?

Later, I moved inside and became a designer/draftsman my self. I quickly
found out that a draftsman (especially one who is low on the totem pole)
spends more time changing and revising existing drawings than working on
new drawings. That is when I learned the real value of having a good
electric eraser (and an eraser shield and a rosin bag).

I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
is now?

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)
Old October 1st 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Hank Wirtz

On Oct 1, 11:56 am, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
Ryan Cousineau writes:
In article ,
Don Wiss wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, (Tom Keats) wrote:

Thank you, I will. At least, the mechanised/motorized ones
that slide out like a CD player tray. I also like to make
fun of electric toothbrushes, electric backscratchers,
electric card shufflers, etc.

Actually electric toothbrushes can be useful as they generally will do a
better job then you can do by hand.

That's a crock o' you-know-what, and you know it.

No, it is not. I am good with a manual toothbrush
and better with the electric toothbrush. This is
not about convenience, it is my health.

I work at brushing my teeth and discuss technique
with my dentist all the time.

--
Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

I gotta say, this is about the least-surprising thing I've ever heard
you say.

I don't doubt your veracity for a second; it just sounds like a very
Michael Press thing to say.

Old October 2nd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Michael Press

In article
. com,
Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:56 am, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Ryan Cousineau writes:
In article ,
Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, (Tom Keats) wrote:
Thank you, I will. At least, the mechanised/motorized ones
that slide out like a CD player tray. I also like to make
fun of electric toothbrushes, electric backscratchers,
electric card shufflers, etc.

Actually electric toothbrushes can be useful as they generally will do a
better job then you can do by hand.

That's a crock o' you-know-what, and you know it.

No, it is not. I am good with a manual toothbrush
and better with the electric toothbrush. This is
not about convenience, it is my health.

I work at brushing my teeth and discuss technique
with my dentist all the time.

I gotta say, this is about the least-surprising thing I've ever heard
you say.

It is good to hear that I keep it fresh.

I don't doubt your veracity for a second; it just sounds like a very
Michael Press thing to say.

Thanks.

--
Michael Press
Old October 2nd 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace

On Oct 1, 5:16 pm, Paul O wrote:

I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
is now?

Well, I actually have one. NOS. Not sure about the brand, though.

If you're _really_ interested, let me know.

- Frank Krygowski

Old October 2nd 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Zoot Katz

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:24:25 -0700, SMS
wrote:

The lights are an issue as the cheaper dyno lights aren't all that
great, and even the expensive ones aren't bright enough for a lot of
commute situations.

You prove how dim you are every time you denigrate the lighting
systems that have been in constant use since before you were born.

Grow up.
--
zk
Old October 2nd 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
SMS

wrote:

The lights are an issue as the cheaper dyno lights aren't all that
great, and even the expensive ones aren't bright enough for a lot of
commute situations.

You prove how dim you are every time you denigrate the lighting
systems that have been in constant use since before you were born.

Grow up.

Very creative snipping to change the context. When you have something
useful to say, without taking things completely out of context, get back
to us.

The complete statement was: "The lights are an issue as the cheaper dyno
lights aren't all that great, and even the expensive ones aren't bright
enough for a lot of commute situations. But you can always supplement
the included dynohub lights with more powerful lights if the situation
demands it."

I don't know _anyone_ that would disagree with that statement, at least
not in the U.S..
Old October 2nd 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Paul O

wrote:
On Oct 1, 5:16 pm, Paul O wrote:

I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
is now?

Well, I actually have one. NOS. Not sure about the brand, though.

If you're _really_ interested, let me know.

- Frank Krygowski

Frank,
Nostalgia can be a funny thing. I remember how well my old electric
eraser worked. It did a quick, clean, and thorough job at erasing lines
on mylar and vellum. But the overall activity for which it was designed
to do was a PITA.

A couple of years after I moved to the drawing board, my company
purchased a bunch of PC workstations and a site license for an early DOS
version of AutoCAD (AutoCAD 5?). Before long, all of my drafting tools
were gathering dust in the bottom of a desk drawer and my drafting board
became a big horizontal surface to hold print-outs, books, and catalogs.
The simple truth was that preparing drawings with a CAD program was much
easier, faster, and more accurate than doing it by hand. And I could
erase hundreds of lines with an "E" command and a few mouse clicks.

That job ended and I moved on. I still have some of my drafting tools
but I never use them. And, I still use AutoCAD a fair amount (I'm up to
release 2008 now). So I probably would never use my old Staedtler-Mars
eraser even if I still had it.

Thanks, but some things are better left in the past...