High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget?

Old March 22nd 04, 04:36 PM
Lobo Tommy

Default High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget?

I am looking to be a bit more frugal and understand some compromises
will have to be made; but I am looking for the highest quality Single
Speed Mountain/Hybrid bicycle that I can afford for under $500. $500
is really my absolute ceiling.

First, a little about me. I am 30 years old, 5'11, and weight 280
lbs. I am looking to get some additional exercise (I already do
aerobics and weight training with dumb bells). I also enjoy single
speed bicycles more than multi geared bikes for simplicity sake. I
also know jack about Bicycles so I want one that is going to be as
durable as possible and won't require much maintenance at all.

I will be using this bicycle around the neighborhood and on bike
trails and parks. The longest distance I will probably ride on this
bike is 40 miles. Even that is a stretch.

I understand the bicycle will be heavier than something that will run
$1,000 and I will just have to deal with it because I don't have a
$1,000. Again my ceiling is $500.

If anyone can recommend the absolute best off the shelf single speed
bicycle for under $500 it would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Please don't email my yahoo account. It's currently getting
blasted with junk mail. Thanks so much )

Old March 23rd 04, 07:42 AM
Kenny Lee

James Calivar wrote:
Take a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/redline-monocog.html

Have fun

James

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...

I am looking to be a bit more frugal and understand some compromises
will have to be made; but I am looking for the highest quality Single
Speed Mountain/Hybrid bicycle that I can afford for under $500. $500
is really my absolute ceiling.

You can get really nice bikes for $500 and below. I don't know what you
have for "single speed", but if you must why not get a multi speed bike
and never change gears? I suggest having a look at KHS or Giant brand
bikes which have a pretty good line of "value" bikes. Consider an MTB
with good fat tires.

Kenny Lee
Old March 23rd 04, 08:37 AM
bomba

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:42:48 +0800, Kenny Lee wrote:

You can get really nice bikes for $500 and below. I don't know what you
have for "single speed", but if you must why not get a multi speed bike
and never change gears? I suggest having a look at KHS or Giant brand
bikes which have a pretty good line of "value" bikes. Consider an MTB
with good fat tires.

Have you ever considered charging money for your advice?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old March 24th 04, 12:40 AM
Kenny Lee

bomba wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:42:48 +0800, Kenny Lee wrote:

You can get really nice bikes for $500 and below. I don't know what you
have for "single speed", but if you must why not get a multi speed bike
and never change gears? I suggest having a look at KHS or Giant brand
bikes which have a pretty good line of "value" bikes. Consider an MTB
with good fat tires.

Have you ever considered charging money for your advice?

No. Just trying to contribute as I've benefited a lot from other more
knowledgeable people here and eslewhere.

Kenny Lee
Old March 24th 04, 01:02 AM
MPD Blue

Lobo Tommy wrote:

I am looking to be a bit more frugal and understand some compromises
will have to be made; but I am looking for the highest quality Single
Speed Mountain/Hybrid bicycle that I can afford for under $500. $500
is really my absolute ceiling.

Redline MonoCog

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Old March 24th 04, 01:07 AM
MPD Blue

sittingduck wrote:

Single speed is nice because you have no chainslap, no derailers flopping
around, not extra crap on your bars, your bike is quiet and simple.

Ohh Sheeze, here we go.... again....

Old March 24th 04, 03:44 AM
Chris

"James Calivar" wrote in message
Take a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/redline-monocog.html

Have fun

James

Haven't the Monocogs had a ton of quality control issues? Lots of off-sized
seat tubes leading to post slipping and such? I seem to remember hearing
about a lot of half-assed Monocog frames ending up in the hands of a lot of
****ed off riders. Isn't that what you get with a $500 bike?

Chris

Old March 24th 04, 12:34 PM
James Calivar

"Chris" wrote in message

"James Calivar" wrote in message
Take a look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/redline-monocog.html

Have fun

James

Haven't the Monocogs had a ton of quality control issues? Lots of

off-sized
seat tubes leading to post slipping and such? I seem to remember hearing
about a lot of half-assed Monocog frames ending up in the hands of a lot

of
****ed off riders. Isn't that what you get with a $500 bike?

Chris

The guy asked for a sub-$500.00 bike, and that's what I pointed him to. I'm
not defending or pushing any particular brand here - it
s just the one I remember seeing.