like to upgrade, need advice

Old August 5th 03, 03:26 AM
Pete

Default like to upgrade, need advice

"Craig Suslosky" wrote
Hello,
Im not a real hard core biker but would like to upgrade from
my "wal mart Mongoose " bike. It has front and rear susp. 21 speeds
but it isnt built very well. It is quickly falling apart and alot of
the adj. do not seem to stay put. It is about 2 years old with not
alot of time on it. Im looking for something better built, but not pro
grade. I also need advice on a girls 24" mountain bike. My daughter
seen one at Wal Mart, but after my experience Im a little gun shy.
Hers was a wal mart bike (front susp, 5 speed ) and it seems to be
holding up better than mine. I would still like to do a little looking
at other brands. Where do I start? I dont want to spend a fortune on a
pro bike for the little we use them. She rides hers a lot (not mtn
biking, riding around the block and on smooth trails) Thanks for the
help,
Craig

Standard advice.

Do NOT worry about brands. Anything at a real bike shop will be far more
suitable than the offerings at *Mart or a sporting goods store.
Raleigh/GT/Specialized/Trek/etc...etc. All make good bikes. There are very
few truly bad bikes on the market.

Get thee to your LBS, and tell them exactly what you told us. Look at and
test ride many, many bikes.
Then, go to another LBS. Do the same
If possible, go to a third and fourth.

Ride them again.

Bring home the ones you like the best, from the store that treats you the
best.

Pete
Then ride lots and lots.

Old August 5th 03, 07:00 AM
Jon Bond

"Pete" wrote in message

[...]

PS: LBS equals local bike shop.

To give you an idea, basic bikes for adults start around $200, give or take,
but they're well worth every penny. "pro level" bikes are around $3000 or
more! Yowch. Basic kid's bikes (with gears), 24" wheels, front suspension,
figure around 140, maybe a bit less.

Jon Bond