Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL Report

Old March 5th 17, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL Report

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 17:00:44 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 3/4/2017 1:53 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 11:18:13 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2017 10:09 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 12:36:54 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
snipped a lot about lowhanging branches
I believe everyone outside this discussion group considers this a
negligible issue. Why is this group different??

--
- Frank Krygowski

Maybe it's because in OUR areas it is a thing we encounter frequently. The problem with you Frank is if you don't personally see something then in your mind it simply can not exist.

That's been going on in r.b.t. for as long as anyone can remember. "Well
I have never encountered X therefore no one else has ever encountered X
either." "I use X piece of equipment so it's the best choice for
everyone else no matter what."

I'm amazed that a simple post about my experience with a battery powered
light has digressed into a very long rehash of the old dynamo versus
battery debate. Like Jay, and others, I use both kinds of lights at the
appropriate times. Each has their pros and cons. Most of us can discuss
the equipment we choose to use without insisting that everyone else
should be using what we use, without making up silly stories about panel
trucks knocking down tree branches.

My hardy recommendation for steel bikes over carbon fiber is from long experience and near death experiences.

And everyone agrees that carbon fiber frames have much higher risk of
catastrophic failure and should not be used for more than a few years
before being replaced.

Strange that.

After all polyester resin and glass cloth are commonly used in boat
building, and have been for 60 years or more. And they just simply
last and last and last. In 1972 the U.S. Coastguard tested fiberglass
panels cut from a patrol boat that had been in service for 20 years
with an accumulated 11,564 hours of use and could find no loss in
strength.

Why is it that carbon-epoxy, usually considered as the ultimate in FRP
construction, is considered as less durable?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 5th 17, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/4/2017 8:04 PM, James wrote:

snip

Google street view images may not be representative of precisely how the
shrubbery was when I was using that road.

Google street view is definitely not representative. They don't drive
down each street continuously. A few years ago I posted some links to
photos of low hanging branches and pointed out that the Google street
view was very different. Some people might not be aware that trees tend
to grow, then they are trimmed. Then they grow. It's a process that
requires periodic pruning. Unfortunately, on streets with bicycle lanes
or shoulders, you don't get tall trucks knocking down these low hanging
branches since the trucks don't drive in those areas.

Old March 5th 17, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 12:43:56 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
With all the rain, last week was the first time we were out at night and
I got to see the Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL
http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-perf-deca1500xxl.php in action on my
wife's commute bike.

Every time I looked in the mirror I thought that there was a car behind
me. This is because she still had her 1300 lumen 4C light on her
handlebars as well, even though I told her to leave it at home. The two
lights looked about equally bright (The Lezyne light was measured my a
reviewer at 1390 lumens, there is no independent measurement of the
Duracell light, but they probably don't lie as much as some of the
lights coming in from China).

This is really an incredible light for the price (now about $92). There
are very few lights with this level of output, that don't have fake
lumen claims, and that are all-in-one (no separate battery pack), that
are not plastic, and that are less than $100. We were off of the unlit
MUP before it got completely dark, but I have no doubt that it would
been sufficient. I think that I have finally convinced my wife to give
up her 4C 1300 lumen light. C cells were getting to be more than our
electric bill.

On the negative side, the Lezyne light doesn't come on and off as easily
as the 4C 1300 lumen light with my custom mount, and it does not have an
adjustable spot/flood beam. The mount is also not able to be adjusted
for slightly curved handlebars, like the custom mounts I have made for C
and AA diameter flashlights.

https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-a.../11170762.html
10% discount for first order.

Beam Lumens and Field Lumens would be measured with a goniometer.

The approach of grafting multiple round beams can construct a large light field, but consuming much more power, generating much more heat and glare, and needing a larger, heavier housing. My optics are unique, in that I create an even beam with less power consumption, glare, and wasted rays, in a smaller volume than other approaches.
No one else is working on my basic premise of creating a variable focal line, instead of the traditional optical approach of having a focal point, that the optics are designed to. Read my patent if you want to try to get some concept of my intersecting, not necessarily concentric or parallel, light source and reflective cylinder approach. Take the word "cylinder" in its broadest mathematical definition here. I didn't start out trying to think about how to do it, only spent obsessive amounts of time bouncing light rays around in my mind trying to inductively figure out how to go backwards from the kind of beam I wanted to create, inductively to a weird optical layout that could create it. I would have rejected my approach as ridiculous, dumb, and no possible practical use, had I had a conventional education in optics.
10 years ago I was making multiple overlapping aimed round beams that made great light, for its time, but drank battery power and challenged any heatsink light enough to mount to a handlebar.
Some people waste time with simulations first, before getting out there and seeing what a light is good for in real life. I didn't have a model in Zemax til my beam already converged nearly exactly as it does now. Modeling and simulation added another ~15% overall efficiency, mostly around the edges where the different reflected and refracted rays join up into a coherent transition instead of discrete blobs of light. The difference between a hobbyist's advanced prototype sufficient to prove a concept is physically practical and patentable, but still crude looking to the eye, versus a viable commercial product limited only by my ability to get this damn thing marketed better.
Old March 5th 17, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Light weight is the raison here so layups are more fragile. The shuttle services manager for the Rio trip I did commented with humor on CF on the Rio while we talked about the Royalex hull I have .
.. I occasionally slam into bridge abutments.

Uh yeah I doahn recall a heavy CF layup
Old March 5th 17, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/4/2017 10:55 PM, Barry Beams wrote:

snip

[...]

Well personally I looked at the published beam patterns of several
all-in-onelights. If the Raveman 1200 had been available, I would
probably have purchased it. It has two LEDs and two separate lenses, and
you can turn them on independently depending on the type of riding
you're doing. This sort of arrangement was common in the days of
incandescent lamps but largely disappeared with the advent of LEDs where
the optics are more challenging. It also has an OLED display for charge
level, and a USB output port.

"The magic of this light is that it has two distinct lenses for each
LED. One LED is very wide and flat, allowing the rider to see the
periphery. This light also has a beam with a very distinct cut-off line
horizontally, much like car headlamps and bike legal lights sold in
Germany."

It's almost like an StVZO legal light catering to those that are worried
about what vehicles with extremely bright lights might think about a
cyclist with a bright light, and a light that's usable for riding where
you need some spill, and you can use both at the same time when you need
peripheral illumination and more of a StVZO type beam which is deficient
in peripheral illumination.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/307x05i.jpg
Old March 5th 17, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Like this ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=hell...obile&ie=UTF-8

Roof mount.

Zo, mount a flat beam light on the fork n one blaster on bar one helmet light n urine

No reason fooling with flat beam bar lights.

The double beam one unit ala Chevy on a small package is square peg round hole.

Market penetration n design problems

A lot of the ascent to a rational ftee market plateau is marketing...if the market cannot see caws it's busy staying upright ... enter the Germans I
Old March 5th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/2/2017 7:00 PM, James wrote:
On 03/03/17 10:58, Frank Krygowski wrote:

One technical question for the electrical engineers: It's my
understanding that low-end multimeters read AC assuming a true sine wave
output. But I've encountered some dynamos have a different waveform.
Back when I had easy access to an oscilloscope and a true RMS meter, I
used that (expensive) true RMS meter to measure dynamo output. Do the
EEs think a simple multimeter is good enough in this situation?

I would replace the LED headlight with a 12 ohm resistor or 3W globe.
Then you have very close to a sine wave and unity power factor.

Back in the olden days, true rms meters and oscilloscopes were
expensive. Now you can get a true rms meter for under $40 and a
sufficient scope for low frequency (100Mhz) for under $30. Substituting
a resistor or incandescent bulb for the LED headlight light may not tell
you much that is useful.

Old March 5th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/4/2017 7:13 PM, James wrote:
On 05/03/17 04:36, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm astonished. What's the "period" on "periodically"
whacking tree
branches? How badly have you been hurt by these "whacks"?
Where on the
road are you riding when that happens? What do the SUV
drivers and
truck drivers do when they come to these tree branches?
Do you know
cyclists who have been injured by these tree branch
whacks? Is there no
agency that keeps the streets clear of such hazards? Why
would people
not demand that?

While I was living in Brisbane, I used a section of road
where there is a painted on bike lane and young planted
trees that overhang the bike lane at times. They may have
been trimmed, but a year ago I would move just outside the
bike lane to avoid branches.

/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM4L3bVhiqbK8iGQCb9-7xg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

No injuries or other mishaps to report.

While surely not every cyclist on every ride, a tree in the
head is common enough, except in Frank's village. Much more
for offroad cyclists but not unknown in small lanes and
kiddy paths, ex-rail corridors, parks etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 5th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-03-04 17:02, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2017 2:27 PM, Joerg wrote:

As long as they remain at a healthy temperature and the thermal
protection is gradual instead of a simple cut-out. Point source isn't
required if the lens is adequate.

That is true. But lenses are often not adequate. A lot of people don't
realize the importance of proper optics in lights.

In terms of lenses the MagicShine clones had ... nothing. Zilch. Just a
clear plastic plate in front. Of course, I did not ride one mile that
way until the aftermarket lenses arrived.

The lights would have been thoroughly blinding to others. Beats me why
they sell them that way since a diffuser lens hardly cost much more than
a clear one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 5th 17, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On 2017-03-04 17:02, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2017 2:27 PM, Joerg wrote:

As long as they remain at a healthy temperature and the thermal
protection is gradual instead of a simple cut-out. Point source isn't
required if the lens is adequate.

That is true. But lenses are often not adequate. A lot of people don't
realize the importance of proper optics in lights.

In terms of lenses the MagicShine clones had ... nothing. Zilch. Just a
clear plastic plate in front. Of course, I did not ride one mile that
way until the aftermarket lenses arrived.

The lights would have been thoroughly blinding to others. Beats me why
they sell them that way since a diffuser lens hardly cost much more than
a clear one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

zoooooo what's the news on the trail vsiavee the deluge ?

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...ce-trails.html

My experience a with Lezyne pump BCDrums Techniques 2 October 19th 13 07:56 PM
Lezyne mini pumps? Ronko Techniques 2 November 2nd 09 02:34 AM
Lezyne Road Drive vs Innovations 2nd Wind Pump C.H. Luu Techniques 1 May 31st 09 04:49 PM
Skyline Drive, VA - ride report (with pics) siafirede Unicycling 6 November 20th 07 05:36 AM
Nippleclamp ride [flight] test report, catastrophic failure main drive psychic gorillas Unicycling 0 March 24th 07 09:27 AM