Gearing for flatland use

Old January 17th 11, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anton Success

Default Gearing for flatland use

For a bike with a granny wheel in front and 9 speeds out back (don't
know the cog count) and flatland use
what gearing would you suggest? I think of myself as a pedal masher.

I'm considering sora or a tiagra cassette unless you have another
suggestion.
weight is not important, durability of the drivetrain is.

tnx
Old January 17th 11, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=642403320134
Old January 17th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Anton Success wrote:
For a bike with a granny wheel in front and 9 speeds out back (don't
know the cog count) and flatland use
what gearing would you suggest? I think of myself as a pedal masher.

I'm considering sora or a tiagra cassette unless you have another
suggestion.
weight is not important, durability of the drivetrain is.

Or a SRAM cassette, see what your LBS stocks; all work fine.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 17th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

kolldata wrote:

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=642403320134

That's an eight.
OP requested nine.

Old January 17th 11, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

think spacing ! add a 32 for ineveitabley the wind shifts from into
the wind from not
260 right ?
Old January 17th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

try #3 the four middle gears are primo. 3 has it.

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=642403320134

unnnngh LS has downtube shifters for $90

get the shovel....
Old January 17th 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

what you have is-what is your course ? the 4 middle gears shift up or
down in teeth, as a group, depending on the desired course.
Old January 17th 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 17, 4:27 am, Anton Success wrote:
For a bike with a granny wheel in front and 9 speeds out back (don't
know the cog count) and flatland use
what gearing would you suggest? I think of myself as a pedal masher.

I'm considering sora or a tiagra cassette unless you have another
suggestion.
weight is not important, durability of the drivetrain is.

I guess you could call me a pedal masher, too. I mean, that's how you
make the bike go, isn't it? You have to push on the pedals,
right? :-)

I use a Shimano HG80 11-28 9-speed, stay on the big ring for all but
the most egregious climbs, and the 28-tooth is used as a pie plate to
protect the spokes (don't go there except once in a while to make sure
it's still there). Front sprockets are twenty-something small ring
(don't go there either), 36-tooth middle ring (I think it is - used
all the way down to the 24 cog for the egregious climbs), and 48-tooth
big ring. On flat ground I never shift off the big ring, except when
parking, and live most of the time on the 12-13-14 cogs. If I know
I'm going to have to stop, I will grab the 16-tooth cog. If I'm not
sure I'll have to stop, I stay in the 14. I like the one-tooth jumps.

Old January 17th 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 1/17/2011 12:17 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:27 am, Anton wrote:
For a bike with a granny wheel in front and 9 speeds out back (don't
know the cog count) and flatland use
what gearing would you suggest? I think of myself as a pedal masher.

I'm considering sora or a tiagra cassette unless you have another
suggestion.
weight is not important, durability of the drivetrain is.

I guess you could call me a pedal masher, too. I mean, that's how you
make the bike go, isn't it? You have to push on the pedals,
right? :-)

That sound was my spinning instructor having a heart attack.
Old January 17th 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 17, 4:27 am, Anton wrote:
For a bike with a granny wheel in front and 9 speeds out back (don't
know the cog count) and flatland use
what gearing would you suggest? I think of myself as a pedal masher.

I'm considering sora or a tiagra cassette unless you have another
suggestion.
weight is not important, durability of the drivetrain is.

I guess you could call me a pedal masher, too. I mean, that's how you
make the bike go, isn't it? You have to push on the pedals,
right? :-)

That sound was my spinning instructor having a heart attack.

Flatland and Koxx-one Unisykolist Unicycling 23 September 7th 08 02:37 AM
flatland trials-uni123 Unicycling 2 February 3rd 07 12:41 AM
U ppl an ur $#%$#$%# flatland maxisback Unicycling 31 August 7th 06 08:17 PM
U ppl an ur $#%$#$%# flatland Spencer Hochberg Unicycling 2 August 7th 06 01:25 AM
BMX flatland anyone?? irvinegr Unicycling 19 June 15th 06 10:09 PM