4x4 choices for bikes and surf fishing... and family

Old August 16th 03, 04:55 PM
James Y. Yang

Default 4x4 choices for bikes and surf fishing... and family

we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can
go onto the beaches here in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier
fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is* necessary to
get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are
good parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

we also need the car to be decent or good on the road, for normal use.
we have a new baby... also, my s.o. is only 5'1" tall, while i'm 6' so
i don't want her to feel the truck is too high (getting in) or too big
(reaching the trunk, etc).

we're looking at the MAZDA TRIBUTE. We know it drives well on the
road... is the 4 wheel drive V6 reasonable for the beach?? Enough
power? Won't get stuck? I've heard compact suv's like the CRV are not
good that way..

any real differences on the FORD ESCAPE?
how is the Jeep liberty?
Toyota 4runner tops the charts but $$... would have to get a *more*
used one.

What do you all drive on the beach for fishing/camping/biking? i guess
ideally you want a truck truck for the beach, which probably doesn't
ride that well on the road, and a car car for everyday.... but what's
the best of both worlds, or the best compromise?... we have a budget
too to consider and we'd like to stay in the 15-22K range for a new,
or 1-2 year old, 20-30K miles type of bracket.

also, anyone know if a slim thule or other cargo box plus a couple
mountain bike trays would fit on top of the Mazda tribute?

can you email replies to me, if you also post?
thx in advance
james

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/

Old August 16th 03, 10:45 PM
Clay-in-Ky

"James Y. Yang" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You might want to look at the Suzuki XL-7 (4 wheel drive version). You
could get the third row seat version and still stay close to the upper limit
of your price range. Even an '02 model would be good, and most (those sold
after August last year) have a transferable 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain
warranty. It might be worth looking at.

Old August 17th 03, 12:15 AM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On 16 Aug 2003 21:45:01 GMT, "Clay-in-Ky" wrote:

"James Y. Yang" wrote in message
. com...
we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can
go onto the beaches here in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier
fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is* necessary to
get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are
good parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

Check out the Subaru Outback. Way more interior space than many
averaged sized SUV's. It's also much easier to get bikes up on the
roof.

Barry

Old August 18th 03, 04:10 PM
Phil

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote in message . ..

Check out the Subaru Outback. Way more interior space than many
averaged sized SUV's. It's also much easier to get bikes up on the
roof.

I like Outbacks, but at 6'3" (not overly tall) I found they have a
serious lack of legroom. I don't see how you can say they have way
more interior space than an average SUV, as my smallish 2-door
Explorer is roomier. Maybe more cargo space than a CRV or RAV 4, but
those are quite a bit smaller than average size and still have more
legroom.

Nice vehicles though if you can fit in them.

Old August 19th 03, 03:05 AM
Dan J.S.

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...
On 16 Aug 2003 21:45:01 GMT, "Clay-in-Ky" wrote:

"James Y. Yang" wrote in message
. com...
we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can
go onto the beaches here in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier
fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is* necessary to
get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are
good parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

Check out the Subaru Outback. Way more interior space than many
averaged sized SUV's. It's also much easier to get bikes up on the
roof.

Outback simply SUCK for beach riding. I almost lost mine in Kauai. Yes, I
took the air down to 20psi and all that funky stuff. It doesn't have a real
4x4 and only the wheel with least resistance spins. I know, I have a lot of
scars to prove it - trying to get it out.

A 4 runner towed me out - for a case of beer.

Old August 19th 03, 12:35 PM
Rob Munach

Outback simply SUCK for beach riding. I almost lost mine in Kauai. Yes, I
took the air down to 20psi and all that funky stuff. It doesn't have a real
4x4 and only the wheel with least resistance spins. I know, I have a lot of
scars to prove it - trying to get it out.

A 4 runner towed me out - for a case of beer.

20 PSI is generally too high. Try 15 or even 10 PSI next time and you
can probably go anywhere.

Old August 20th 03, 03:35 AM
Rick Onanian

On 19 Aug 2003 02:05:01 GMT, Dan J.S. wrote:
Outback simply SUCK for beach riding. I almost lost mine in Kauai. Yes, I
took the air down to 20psi and all that funky stuff. It doesn't have a
real
4x4 and only the wheel with least resistance spins. I know, I have a lot

I thought those fancy modern "All Wheel Drive" systems
are supposed to power the wheels that DO get traction.

I guess I'll stick with my old assumption, that AWD is
good for cars on less-than-perfect roads / weather, and
not much else. Maybe different AWD systems from different
manufacturers are better or worse.

--
Rick Onanian

Old August 17th 03, 02:25 AM
Rick Onanian

Is it necessary to post again?

Well, I'll reply to a couple other points...

On 16 Aug 2003 15:55:31 GMT, James Y. Yang wrote:
we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can
go onto the beaches here in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier
fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is* necessary to
get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are

Only if you want one.

good parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

I've never seen a campground or park that requires a
real 4x4 to get to the site. The worst I've seen is
the Winterhawk bluegrass festival, which requires you
to get up a big, steep hill; if it's muddy, 2-wheel
drive vehicles have a tough time.

Some campgrounds do have rather rough paths, but all
that's required is a little extra ground clearance.

we also need the car to be decent or good on the road, for normal use.

This is when you'll use it most, on the road. You
should probably make that a priority.

road... is the 4 wheel drive V6 reasonable for the beach?? Enough
power? Won't get stuck? I've heard compact suv's like the CRV are not
good that way..

Compact SUVs, as well as larger ones built on a
car platform, are not off-road vehicles, no matter
what the manufacturer claims. They can handle grass,
the path to the campground, etc; but tough stuff
like deep in the woods or in deep sand, you need
quite the ballsy off-road pickup (or SUV built on a
pickup truck platform).

Do you expect to drive on the beach? I've only ever
seen vehicles allowed on the beach on TV shows like
Baywatch; nowhere I've been, have I seen vehicles
permitted to drive onto the sand, or anywhere out of
the parking lot.

any real differences on the FORD ESCAPE?

The Ford Escape is a car-based SUV. It will do
anything spectacular. It probably gives a pretty
good ride on the road.

how is the Jeep liberty?

Reportedly, the Liberty is okay. Never driven one.

What do you all drive on the beach for fishing/camping/biking? i guess

I don't drive anything on the beach.

For fishing/camping/biking, I drove a 1997 Pontiac
Grand Am for 5 years; a 1987 Cadillac Sedan Deville
for a couple years before that; and now I drive a
full size pickup, specifically, a 2002 GMC Sierra
4x4, extended cab, etc.

The Caddy and the Pontiac did fine for all sorts of
off-road situations, although I did bend a wheel by
going too fast in the Caddy on a very rough trail.

People who think a low-slung, 2wd car can't go off
road, either have never done it, or are unskilled
off-road drivers. They can't do really gnarly off
road stuff; but car-based SUVs can't either, except
that they can deal with a little bit slipperier
conditions and a little bit higher clearance issues.

ideally you want a truck truck for the beach, which probably doesn't
ride that well on the road, and a car car for everyday.... but what's
the best of both worlds, or the best compromise?... we have a budget

My GMC Sierra, which does NOT have any sort of
off-road package, and has lame-looking road tires,
is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven.
The tires, which look lame, provide ample grip in
all sorts of snow, mud, etc.

also, anyone know if a slim thule or other cargo box plus a couple
mountain bike trays would fit on top of the Mazda tribute?

I can't imagine why not.

Old August 17th 03, 05:35 AM
Dave Wissenbach

James,

If I had the money to blow on a new car, I'd probably buy a Honda
Element. This seems to meet all of your criteria, and is available in
four wheel drive. We (wife and I) have considered buying one but
have decided to wait a couple of years for a Hybrid gasoline/
electric vehicle. (Toyota Highlander, Ford Escape, and
Saturn VUE hybrids will all available within the next couple of years,
as will a Toyota Sienna Hybrid AWD (a real wallet-buster, no doubt.)

Until then, we're still cramming all of our stuff into our Saturn Wagon!
The bikes go on a receiver hitch rack in the back.

Dave Wissenbach

Old August 18th 03, 08:55 PM
Phil

(James Y. Yang) wrote in message . com...
we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can
go onto the beaches here in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier
fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is* necessary to
get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are
good parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

Be wary of the Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape twins (they are mechanically
identical, built by Ford). They are good vehicles on paper, but have
fairly poor reliability and resale value.

The Jeep Liberty also has shown poor reliability and resale. It is
more capable off road than the Tribute/Escape but rides rougher,
doesn't drive as nice, is less roomy and gets poorer fuel economy.

A well used Toyota 4-runner would be a better vehicle than either the
Escape/Tribute or the Liberty are new. But it is probably more than
what you need.

Take a long look at a Subaru Outback or Forester. Also a Honda CRV
and Toyota RAV4 would probably meet your needs. The CRV is especially
nice for kids as it has a minivan-like passthough to the back seats.
The Hyundai Santa Fe is also a nice vehicle and comes with a great
warranty. Do your research and be sure to look at total cost of
ownership, including resale value and maintenence costs. You will
find Ford, GM, and Chrysler products really struggle there, while
Honda is typically the best.

Check out this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...carcosts_x.htm

The "cute-utes" are not real off road vehicles only if you plan to
rock hop with the Jeeps. They should do fine for what you described.
If you had any heavy towing to do I would say differently. It would
be silly to get a more capable 4x4 you would rarely if ever need, and
you may get annoyed with the "truckyness" that comes with the bigger
4x4s. I sure do. Then again, I really don't know how serious your
off-road plans are. But I'm guessing not as serious as you think.
When I was in high school, my dad had a 2-wheel drive 4-cylinder
Ranger. You may be surprised where I took that thing. It made a fine
hunting vehicle.

I can tell you with absolute certainty to stay away from Ford
Explorers. I have one and it is the biggest piece of junk I have ever
owned. And it doesn't even have 60,000 miles on it yet. The initial
price made it seem like a good value. But it's been anything but.