BSO!

Old February 17th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

Default BSO!

I want to use the term "Bike Shaped Object" for an OU essay I have to
write on marketing. Anyone know who coined it first and when?
Old February 17th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"marc" wrote in message
I want to use the term "Bike Shaped Object" for an OU essay I have to write
on marketing. Anyone know who coined it first and when?

Try here.

http://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/Art...article=NO_BSO

Old February 17th 08, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to marc

I want to use the term "Bike Shaped Object" for an OU essay I have to
write on marketing. Anyone know who coined it first and when?

A quick displacement-activity google shows the first mention of
"bike-shaped object" meaning a BSO in Google Groups dates from January
2004:

There may well be all sorts of earlier references to BSOs, but I can
only displace tasks to a certain extent at the moment. ;-)

There'll be variants in other fields: for instance, Steinway engineers
refer to non-Steinways as piano-shaped objects. [I heard that one from
the horse's mouth around 1982, and it first turns up on GG in 1996.]

--
Mark, UK
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"
Old February 17th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox[_2_]

Mark McNeill wrote:
There'll be variants in other fields: for instance, Steinway engineers
refer to non-Steinways as piano-shaped objects. [I heard that one from
the horse's mouth around 1982, and it first turns up on GG in 1996.]

Bloody BSOs - Steinways! Absolutely totally bloody useless. It tried one
once but no matter how fast I pedalled it wouldn't move. And the saddle
kept going round. What a load of overweight junk - must have weighed a
ton! Parents today just swan into Boosey and Hawkes, see the name and get
out their credit card - Don't they know it's at least TEN YEARS since
Steinway made a decent bike and everyone knows that Artur Rubenstein was on
drugs.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Old February 17th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to Peter Fox
Don't they know it's at least TEN YEARS since
Steinway made a decent bike and everyone knows that Artur Rubenstein was on
drugs.

Ho yuss! BTW, it is not generally known that Glenn Gould's cameo near
the beginning of "Belleville Rendezvous" was intended to commemorate his
attempt at the hour record [21.31 fugues] of 1973.

Controversially, the UCI disqualified him for using a non-standard
playing position.

--
Mark, UK
"Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am master of my fate and
Old February 17th 08, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 17/02/2008 18:04, Mark McNeill wrote:
A quick displacement-activity google shows the first mention of
"bike-shaped object" meaning a BSO in Google Groups dates from January
2004:

A search for "bicycle shaped object" takes it back further, with an
explanation of the term BSO posted to alt.mountain-bike on 14/08/03 and
with "bicycle shaped object" being used in seemingly the right context
in rec.bicycles.tech on 24/09/01.

It was also used in rec.arts.tv on 29/12/96, where it looks as though
the poster might have been aware of the context that we use it in, but
it's entirely clear that that *is* the case.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Old February 18th 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Budstaff

"Mark McNeill" wrote in message
Response to Peter Fox
Don't they know it's at least TEN YEARS since
Steinway made a decent bike and everyone knows that Artur Rubenstein was
on
drugs.

Ho yuss! BTW, it is not generally known that Glenn Gould's cameo near
the beginning of "Belleville Rendezvous" was intended to commemorate his
attempt at the hour record [21.31 fugues] of 1973.

Controversially, the UCI disqualified him for using a non-standard
playing position.

Oh, I thought he was caught using something from the proscribed Liszt.

Old February 18th 08, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Feb 17, 7:05*pm, Mark McNeill wrote:

Ho yuss! *BTW, it is not generally known that Glenn Gould's cameo near
the beginning of "Belleville Rendezvous" was intended to commemorate his
attempt at the hour record [21.31 fugues] of 1973. *

Controversially, the UCI disqualified him for using a non-standard
playing position.

He was really humming along at the time though.

--
Dave...