Hiding bikes around the flat

Old April 22nd 08, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Default Hiding bikes around the flat

My better half is passed tipping point having several bikes and many
more wheels in the flat. Just wondering if anyone else has had this
problem and whether there are some little steps that can help to keep
things tidier, for e.g. brackets for hanging wheels on, mounts to hang
bikes from - covers to hide them etc.

Many thanks,

Duncan
Old April 22nd 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

"Duncan Smith" wrote in message
| My better half is passed tipping point having several bikes and many
| more wheels in the flat. Just wondering if anyone else has had this
| problem and whether there are some little steps that can help to keep
| things tidier, for e.g. brackets for hanging wheels on, mounts to hang
| bikes from - covers to hide them etc.

I have a flat that makes a Barrett house look positively capacious - but in
Edinburgh, it's de rigeur - I also have 3 bikes (one recumbent), and the
usual spares, wheels, panniers, and so on...

Whilst I may be short of floor space, I'm blessed (cursed in winter when I'm
trying to heat it) with 4m ceilings - the recumbent now hangs on a pulley
device purchased from Lidl for about a fiver, mounted on a large shelf about
60cm below the ceiling, I replaced my normal roadbike with an Airnimal,
which I now fold up and put on the shelf I built - along with my spares,
wheels, panniers, and the like (I now have the problem of 4 differing tyre
and tube sizes...more clutter). I just have my day to day bike filling up
the flat, but 2 minutes with an Allen key to swivel the bars, and it is
relatively discreet, in front of the windows in the bedroom, behind the
curtains.

Unfortunately, this is not a solution that would be practical for others.

In your case - get your XYL hooked on cycling...and then wait for her to
start filling the house as well...

Cheers,

pOB

Old April 22nd 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Duncan Smith writtificated

My better half is passed tipping point having several bikes and many
more wheels in the flat. Just wondering if anyone else has had this
problem and whether there are some little steps that can help to keep
things tidier, for e.g. brackets for hanging wheels on, mounts to hang
bikes from - covers to hide them etc.

Getting rid of the other half frees up oodles of space for the bike, and
opens up previously off-limits areas to dual use - why freeze yer knackers
off in winter hosing the bike down in the garden when there's a perfectly
good bath inside?
Old April 22nd 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On 22 Apr 2008 16:11:33 GMT, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:

Duncan Smith writtificated

My better half is passed tipping point having several bikes and many
more wheels in the flat. Just wondering if anyone else has had this
problem and whether there are some little steps that can help to keep
things tidier, for e.g. brackets for hanging wheels on, mounts to hang
bikes from - covers to hide them etc.

Getting rid of the other half frees up oodles of space for the bike, and
opens up previously off-limits areas to dual use - why freeze yer knackers
off in winter hosing the bike down in the garden when there's a perfectly
good bath inside?

Because the shower does a better job.
Old April 22nd 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

In your case - get your XYL hooked on cycling...and then wait for her to
start filling the house as well...

If only! It's a nice thought, but I don't think it will ever
happen...

Old April 22nd 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adrian Godwin

Duncan Smith wrote:
My better half is passed tipping point having several bikes and many
more wheels in the flat. Just wondering if anyone else has had this
problem and whether there are some little steps that can help to keep
things tidier, for e.g. brackets for hanging wheels on, mounts to hang
bikes from - covers to hide them etc.

Not with bikes, but with tools, pinball machines and assorted bits of
test equipment. I find that the more there is, and the less tidy it's
kept, the less the new acquisitions stand out .. to the point where they
may not be noticed at all.

-adrian