windy everywhere this year?

Old June 6th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default windy everywhere this year?

[ This is a repost of the following article: ]
[ From: ]
[ Subject: windy everywhere this year? ]
[ Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.rides ]

Pat who? wrote:

Is it just here in north Texas, or is it windy all across the U.S.?
Today, we had wind gusts to 51 mph. Just to get out of a car you
have to fight to get the door open. Ride a bicycle? Hah! I did on
Tuesday, when the wind gusts were "just" up to 35 mph, but this
today is ridiculous.....

For more than a month we have had unusually high winds from unusual
directions. That along with stinking hot weather for a day or two
followed by cold weather requiring long sleeves and pants.

http://tinyurl.com/5egnjn

Europe has been suffering from similar conditions with more than
average rain and snow, while snowing only at high elevation such as
twelve feet deep at the top of the Stelvio and Matterhorn-Gornergrat
where skiing has been a flop because there is only gravel below on the
ski run that looks so great above. It's snowing like mad now.

http://www.topin.ch/scripts/big_img.php?bild=zer.jpg (Gornergrat)
http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOALTO2 (Stelvio)

These must be viewed at daylight hours in Central European Time.

Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt
Old June 6th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On 06 Jun 2008 02:17:39 GMT, wrote:

[ This is a repost of the following article: ]
[ From:
]
[ Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.rides ]

Pat who? wrote:

[...]

I've been complaining about the wind for months. I've been commuting
by bike for around 7 years and I don't remember it being as much of a
factor as it has for the last two. It just seems like it's stronger
each spring. Maybe I'm just getting weaker.
Old June 6th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
D'ohBoy

On Jun 6, 7:11 am, dgk wrote:
On 06 Jun 2008 02:17:39 GMT, wrote:

[ This is a repost of the following article: ]
[ From: ]
[ Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.rides ]

Pat who? wrote:

[...]

Yup. Here too (WI). Cold as well. 'Til now. Now it's in the mid to
upper 80's (hot for this time of year) and threatening thunderstorms
for the next ten days (currently 60% chance). Nights aren't dipping
much below 70.

Been a less than perfect year for training for a fair weather cyclist
like myself. Now I get ta go grind out 200k in the hills west of
Madison (www.horriblyhilly.com).

Gah. Ugh.

D'ohBoy

Old June 6th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I can't afford a better bike nor a membership at some fancy-schmantzy
gym, but I'm trying as hard as I can to get more fit. So when the
wind blows, instead of cursing it, I've decided that it is my friend,
providing a more rigorous workout for me at no extra cost.
ABS
Old June 6th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article
,
"D'ohBoy" wrote:

On Jun 6, 7:11 am, dgk wrote:
On 06 Jun 2008 02:17:39 GMT, wrote:

[ This is a repost of the following article:
]
[ From:
]
]
[ Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.rides
]

Pat who? wrote:

[...]

Today, in beautiful Fox Valley Illinois, the weather has been very
cloudy, moderately humid, 81F and winds from the south at 25~30 mph.
So, I didn't ride my bike today.

I rode the unicycle instead. :-)

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
Old June 6th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

I can't afford a better bike nor a membership at some fancy-schmantzy
gym, but I'm trying as hard as I can to get more fit. So when the
wind blows, instead of cursing it, I've decided that it is my friend,
providing a more rigorous workout for me at no extra cost.
ABS

I agree--with limits. Crosswinds are dangerous when they're gusting.

Also, the YMCA and "my" gym, 24 Hour Fitness, only cost $45 a month
including taxes. If a gym doesn't cost more than the YMCA, I don't consider
it "fancy-schmantzy" (is that a word?)....but, yeah, I try to hike, bike,
and swim. Since I don't have a pool, I have to "borrow" one....

And, I demand! Yes, Demand! "wind credit".

I just haven't figured out how to tabulate it, yet.

Pat in TX

Old June 7th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mark Pirus wrote:

I call the wind my secondary training partner. My new motto: What
doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I see you don't ride bicycle for the fun and adventure of going places
others don't. Riding in the flats against the wind is masochism. If
your bicycling isn't purely for exercise, you could pick a mountainous
course that goes to interesting places.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/6.1.html

Jobst Brandt
Old June 7th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

someone wrote:

I can't afford a better bike nor a membership at some
fancy-schmantzy gym, but I'm trying as hard as I can to get more
fit. So when the wind blows, instead of cursing it, I've decided
that it is my friend, providing a more rigorous workout for me at
no extra cost.

I try to ride out into the wind and ride back with it. I am not
always able to pull this off, but it is a sweet ride when I can do
it. Living in Texas, I get a lot of practice riding in the wind.

In that respect, what effect winds have on riding is not obvious:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html

Jobst Brandt
Old June 7th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 6, 6:17 pm, "Pat" wrote:

And, I demand! Yes, Demand! "wind credit".

I just haven't figured out how to tabulate it, yet.

I think I see a commercial possibility.

IIRC, one can buy cyclometers that measure the total amount of
climbing one has done during a ride. But since the wind is the main
resistance to most people's cycling, we need a cyclometer that
measures the total distance we ride through the air, in addition to
the total distance we cover on the ground. IOW, we need to measure
the length of the airstream passing the cyclometer.

Sounds like a job for Avocet! (Are they still in business?)

- Frank Krygowski