Toronto Cyclists Form Union

Old June 8th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jorg Lueke

Default Toronto Cyclists Form Union

Or a AAA for bicycles...

http://features.csmonitor.com/enviro...ts-kind-union/

Believed to be a global first, the union already has enrolled hundreds
of card-carrying members since it formed in May. Modeled on auto
programs like AAA, the union plans to offer members insurance,
roadside assistance, and advocacy on their behalf – all for a $24
annual fee.

“Our primary goal is give a voice to urban cyclists who use their
bikes in their daily lives as a mode of transportation,” explains
David Meslin, founder of the Toronto Cyclists Union. “Cyclists don’t
feel safe on the streets, and if they know there is a group fighting
for safer conditions, I believe a lot more will join.”

With 130 miles of dedicated bike lanes, Toronto is out in front of
other major Canadian cities such as Montreal (110 miles) and Vancouver
(64 miles). But its bike lanes are less connected than in Vancouver,
which many of Toronto’s 400,000 utilitarian cyclists – those who cycle
to work, school, or on their errands each day – say has made better
progress.

“Toronto was way ahead 10 to 15 years ago and it fell way behind
Vancouver,” says bike-union coordinator Rick Conroy. “Vancouver has
put a lot more thought, care, and money into their bike lanes in
recent years.”

To get up to speed, one of the union’s first tasks will be to lobby
the City of Toronto to implement a “visionary” plan for cyclists
commissioned in 2001 but never fully implemented.
Old June 8th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Jorg Lueke writes:

=93Toronto was way ahead 10 to 15 years ago and it fell way behind
Vancouver,=94 says bike-union coordinator Rick Conroy. =93Vancouver has
put a lot more thought, care, and money into their bike lanes in
recent years.=94

We really don't have that many bike /lanes/ per se here
in Vancouver. What we do have is a network of bike /routes/,
which are shared streets, enhanced with cyclist-friendly
amenities. There are, of course, some true bike lanes, as
well as a couple of bike boxes w/ advanced stop lines.
Lots of "No Left Turn (Except Bicycles)" signs.

A few previous civic governments deserve all the credit
for that. Unfortunately, our current City Hall is not
so progressive, and appears to be prepared to undermine
all the work that has already been accomplished.

As for cycling-friendly North American cities, look to
Victoria, BC. That's practically the Amsterdam of North
America. But so many USA'ans don't even know it exists.
Neither do a lot of inlander Canadians.

I like it like that. It keeps the riff-raff out.

And y'know what? Toronto was never ahead of Vancouver
in terms of anything.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old June 8th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luke

In article
,
Jorg Lueke wrote:

Or a AAA for bicycles...

http://features.csmonitor.com/enviro...cyclists-form-
a-first-of-its-kind-union/

Believed to be a global first, the union already has enrolled hundreds
of card-carrying members since it formed in May. Modeled on auto
programs like AAA, the union plans to offer members insurance,
roadside assistance, and advocacy on their behalf – all for a $24
annual fee.

“Our primary goal is give a voice to urban cyclists who use their
bikes in their daily lives as a mode of transportation,” explains
David Meslin, founder of the Toronto Cyclists Union. “Cyclists don’t
feel safe on the streets, and if they know there is a group fighting
for safer conditions, I believe a lot more will join.”

snip

The TCU's inclusion of the term 'union' in its title is somewhat of a
misnomer. As for it being a 'global first', well it openly admits that
its at least partially patterned after such collectives as the
Chicagoland Bicycle Federation, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition,
and, perhaps surprisingly, the CAA (Canadian Automobile Association).

The Union is in its infancy, just learning to crawl. It's still
largely, if not exclusively, staffed by volunteers and operating out of
donated digs. But already it's garnered quite a presence in the media
landscape: from her ubiquitous quotes and interviews, Yvonne Bambrick,
a coordinator at TCU, seems to been designated by media organs as the
'go to gal' for all matters velo in Toronto.

So be it. Presenting a unified stance and speaking with one voice will
serve to simplify and amplify advocacy. Cyclists can be a fractious lot
-- I see no evidence of that here! -- and too often this has undermined
efforts aimed at winning converts at City Hall and ultimately making
the city less hostile to cyclists.

Here's hoping that the TCU makes for a more enjoyable ride for years
and thousands -- millions! -- to come. Yup, I'm a member.

http://bikeunion.to/
Old June 9th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mathias Körber

Jorg Lueke wrote:
Or a AAA for bicycles...

http://features.csmonitor.com/enviro...ts-kind-union/

Believed to be a global first, the union already has enrolled hundreds
of card-carrying members since it formed in May. Modeled on auto
programs like AAA, the union plans to offer members insurance,

Ahem. In germany there is the ADFC, www.adfc.de
which gives German cyclists a voice, offers insurance etc.
Roadside assistance does not seem to be a service offered though.

There are however those cyclists who believe the ADFC to not represent
certain segments of cyclists and to advocate the wrong policies (ie,
demand for more bike-lanes besides inner-city roads [ mostly raised like
sidewalks and not part of the main roadway], which other vocal cyclists
(mostly on the de.rec.fahrrad newsgroup) consider dangerous as they
remove the cyclists from the car-drivers' sight and thus provoke accidents).

So no, I don't think this is world first. But nonetheless welcome

WTB: Co-Union Bar Tape Tom Kunich Marketplace 0 September 4th 07 02:20 AM
Toronto councillor: dead cyclists have themselves to blame! [email protected] Australia 3 March 10th 07 01:49 PM
DVD: Union bailingmarne Unicycling 29 March 5th 07 06:53 AM
Royce Union? [email protected] Mountain Biking 6 May 26th 06 10:28 AM
Booze and Biking a Union handleme Mountain Biking 1 January 5th 06 07:00 PM