Goodness...

Old July 31st 20, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

Default Goodness...

Cycling DOES seem to be a very dangerous activity all of a sudden,
doesn't it?
Old August 1st 20, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 01/08/2020 05:33, JNugent wrote:
Cycling DOES seem to be a very dangerous activity all of a sudden,
doesn't it?

If your only source of information is u.r.c, yes.
What happened to stories about the delights of biking, tips for safe
riding, technical tips, recounting delightful experiences, ideas for
bike routes and tours, and so forth?
Old August 1st 20, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 01/08/2020 10:28, Peter Keller wrote:

On 01/08/2020 05:33, JNugent wrote:

Cycling DOES seem to be a very dangerous activity all of a sudden,
doesn't it?

If your only source of information is u.r.c, yes.

To be fair, you aren't going to encounter these stories elsewhere unless
you are obsessed with finding them (no names, no pack-drill).

What happened to stories about the delights of biking, tips for safe
riding, technical tips, recounting delightful experiences, ideas for
bike routes and tours, and so forth?

Exactly.

Not all cycling is, and not all cyclists are, about conflict.

Still less does that apply to the rest of the population.
Old August 1st 20, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_3_]

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 13:15:53 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 01/08/2020 10:28, Peter Keller wrote:

On 01/08/2020 05:33, JNugent wrote:

Cycling DOES seem to be a very dangerous activity all of a sudden,
doesn't it?

If your only source of information is u.r.c, yes.

To be fair, you aren't going to encounter these stories elsewhere

unless
you are obsessed with finding them (no names, no pack-drill).

What happened to stories about the delights of biking, tips for safe
riding, technical tips, recounting delightful experiences, ideas for
bike routes and tours, and so forth?

Exactly.

Really? when did you ever make a post detailing a pleasant cycling
experience?

Not all cycling is, and not all cyclists are, about conflict.

But those are of significant concern to vulnerable road users.

Still less does that apply to the rest of the population.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old August 1st 20, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

wrote:

On 01/08/2020 10:28, Peter Keller wrote:

On 01/08/2020 05:33, JNugent wrote:

Cycling DOES seem to be a very dangerous activity all of a sudden,
doesn't it?

If your only source of information is u.r.c, yes.

To be fair, you aren't going to encounter these stories elsewhere

unless you are obsessed with finding them (no names, no pack-drill).

What happened to stories about the delights of biking, tips for safe
riding, technical tips, recounting delightful experiences, ideas for
bike routes and tours, and so forth?

Exactly.

Really? when did you ever make a post detailing a pleasant cycling
experience?

Where is the logic in that question?

Is it compulsory to own or ride a bicycle to post here?

If so, where is that provided?

I could make such posts, by the way. It was on a bicycle that my own
horizons were first widened beyond the sixpenny bus ride.

Not all cycling is, and not all cyclists are, about conflict.

But those are of significant concern to vulnerable road users.

That's completely self-defined "vulnerability".

Vulnerability depends on one's own behaviour as well as that of others.
Hence the stories (once more common here) of cyclists being killed when
they ran into stone walls, etc.

Unless it was the walls' fault(s) of course.

Still less does that apply to the rest of the population.

Old August 2nd 20, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 02/08/2020 01:15, JNugent wrote:
On 01/08/2020 10:28, Peter Keller wrote:

On 01/08/2020 05:33, JNugent wrote:

Cycling DOES seem to be a very dangerous activity all of a sudden,
doesn't it?

If your only source of information is u.r.c, yes.

To be fair, you aren't going to encounter these stories elsewhere unless
you are obsessed with finding them (no names, no pack-drill).

What happened to stories about the delights of biking, tips for safe
riding, technical tips, recounting delightful experiences, ideas for
bike routes and tours, and so forth?

Exactly.

Not all cycling is, and not all cyclists are, about conflict.

Absolutely agreed!
I still use a bike for most of my trips around town, getting places,
carrying small loads, etc. It is most delightful and convenient, as well
as keeping me vaguely fit. I cannot say that I meet a lot of conflict
and/or hostility from other road/footpath users.
But then I do utterly strange things such as stopping at red lights.
signalling all intentions, acknowledging courteous behaviour by others,
giving way when required or desirable, having a bike in good mechanical
condition, being visible and predictable, and always being able to stop
without hitting something.

Still less does that apply to the rest of the population.

Old August 1st 20, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Friday, 31 July 2020 18:32:36 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
Cycling DOES seem to be a very dangerous activity all of a sudden,
doesn't it?

And all the danger comes from the operators of motor vehicles. Glad you agree there should be severe restrictions on motor vehicle access to roads.

OT. Thank goodness for Tom K. Sir Ridesalot Techniques 18 April 13th 20 02:33 PM
Thank goodness for that. Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 18 May 1st 12 02:09 AM
Thank goodness it had a serial # DirtRoadie Racing 11 February 20th 09 04:54 PM
Goodness Me Nuxx Bar UK 10 April 12th 08 02:31 PM
RR: Bergen Peak Goodness Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 8 June 9th 07 09:06 PM