Stupid bicyclist killed in North Carolina

Old September 16th 04, 09:12 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Stupid bicyclist killed in North Carolina

Anonymous Sender wrote:

Riding at night with dark clothing and no helmet

We have a rule here in our highway code: "always drive so you can stop well
within the distance you can see to be clear." What if the cyclist had been
an animal? Would it have been the animal's fault for wearing dark clothing
and no helmet?

No mention of lights. Was the cyclist using lights? My RealLite can be
seen form a mile away, provided the driver actually looks. Which is where
the whole thing usually falls down, of course...

Do you think helmets are proof against SUVs moving at highway speeds? The
story as posted doesn't even say he died of head injuries - and one study
found that a majority of cyclist who were recorded as dying of head
injuries, had other mortal injuries as well. Where the largest vehicles are
concerned, the most common cause of death is crushing injuries to the chest
and abdomen.

The really stupid bicyclist was the teen who rode out into the road and was
hit. That /is/ stupid.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Old September 16th 04, 12:03 PM
Fx199

Do you think helmets are proof against SUVs moving at highway speeds?

Do you think a SUV "kills you deader" than an automobile or pickup?

What if the cyclist had been
an animal? Would it have been the animal's fault for wearing dark clothing
and no helmet?

Of course, dumbest question I've heard for awhile.

Old September 16th 04, 12:19 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Fx199 wrote:

Do you think helmets are proof against SUVs moving at highway speeds?

Do you think a SUV "kills you deader" than an automobile or pickup?

Deader than a passenger car, quite likely. Deader than a pickup, clearly
not. But in this case it was an SUV, hence the comment. Had it been a
semi, I'd have said "proof against semis".

What if the cyclist had been
an animal? Would it have been the animal's fault for wearing dark
clothing and no helmet?

Of course, dumbest question I've heard for awhile.

I'm assuming you missed the smiley there :-)

Old September 16th 04, 05:02 PM
Frank Krygowski

Anonymous Sender wrote:

Riding at night with dark clothing and no helmet

Perhaps, like you, he wanted to remain hidden and anonymous?

Anonymous people tend to do dumb things. Like trolling bike discussion
groups with death notices.

Go to rec.autos.driving. You can feed them 40,000 death posts per year.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

Old September 17th 04, 01:26 AM
Fx199

What if the cyclist had been
an animal? Would it have been the animal's fault for wearing dark
clothing and no helmet?

Of course, dumbest question I've heard for awhile.

I'm assuming you missed the smiley there :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

That remark wasn't mine. SUV's are just hot topic scapegoats right now.
Old September 17th 04, 01:43 AM
Fx199

Do you think a SUV "kills you deader" than an automobile or pickup?

According to statistics, yes, in that the latter two may not kill you in
circumstances where a Stupid Useful Vehicle, would.

You must really hate Semi-trucks
Old September 18th 04, 02:38 PM
Fx199

You must really hate Semi-trucks

If people started using them as methods of personal transportation I sure
would.

They do transport themselves, not a thinker are you?
Old September 20th 04, 02:24 AM
AustinMN

Fx199 wrote:
You must really hate Semi-trucks

If people started using them as methods of personal transportation I sure
would.

They do transport themselves, not a thinker are you?

He's more of a thinker than you are a reader. How many people do you know
that drive to church in a semi-truck? Or am I totally misunderstanding the
meaning of "personal transportation?"

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address