What Motorist Advocacy Does For Cycling

Old March 9th 11, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

Default What Motorist Advocacy Does For Cycling

On 3/9/2011 7:36 AM, Peter Cole wrote:

I don't doubt that if Boston shoe-horns in a few door-zone bike lanes,
and a few more bike lanes to the right of right-turn-only-lanes,
they'll get a few more bicyclists riding in those lanes. A few might
even give their lives for the cause, like the one famous Cambridge
cyclist did in that door zone. But I don't think it's the right
approach, and I don't think it's ever going to make Boston into
Copenhagen.

Nice, use some poor girl's death to support your inflammatory rhetoric
-- without proof, of course.

It's called evidence.

There is no evidence that the bike lane was causal in that incident.

Examples of the danger of bad facilities abound.
Maybe you'd take more notice if he'd cited a case of someone having to
swerve to avoid being hit, instead of someone who actually was.

I don't see your point.

Why is it that when a cyclist is killed or injured using a facility that
it's the fault of the facility but if a cyclist is killed or injured
"taking the lane" then the cyclist or the driver are at fault but it's
not possible that "controlling the lane didn't work? "

If someone parks their car where there's a bike lane to the left of them
then they should expect bikes on their left. When I lived in Boston
there were not many bike lanes at all and people still got doored.

Old March 9th 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 9, 8:58*am, Duane Hebert wrote:

If someone parks their car where there's a bike lane to the left of them
then they should expect bikes on their left. *When I lived in Boston
there were not many bike lanes at all and people still got doored.

Would you support signage and publicity that said "Bicyclists: Never
ride more than three feet from a parked car!" ?

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 9th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 3/9/2011 12:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 9, 8:58 am, Duane wrote:

If someone parks their car where there's a bike lane to the left of them
then they should expect bikes on their left. When I lived in Boston
there were not many bike lanes at all and people still got doored.

Would you support signage and publicity that said "Bicyclists: Never
ride more than three feet from a parked car!" ?

I would support warning that riding within 3 feet of a parked car can be
dangerous. I would also support warning motorists to take care when
opening a door on the street side.

The word "never" would bother me. I would prefer to let the cyclist
weigh the dangers.
Old March 9th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 9, 8:58 am, Duane *wrote:

If someone parks their car where there's a bike lane to the left of them
then they should expect bikes on their left. *When I lived in Boston
there were not many bike lanes at all and people still got doored.

Would you support signage and publicity that said "Bicyclists: *Never
ride more than three feet from a parked car!" ?

I would support warning that riding within 3 feet of a parked car can be
dangerous. *I would also support warning motorists to take care when
opening a door on the street side.

The word "never" would bother me. *I would prefer to let the cyclist
weigh the dangers.

Do you understand that you're talking about the opposite of those
signs I proposed? And, of course, the opposite of what most door-zone
bike lanes tell cyclists?

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 9th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On Mar 9, 8:58 am, Duane wrote:

If someone parks their car where there's a bike lane to the left of them
then they should expect bikes on their left. When I lived in Boston
there were not many bike lanes at all and people still got doored.

Would you support signage and publicity that said "Bicyclists: Never
ride more than three feet from a parked car!" ?

I would support warning that riding within 3 feet of a parked car can be
dangerous. I would also support warning motorists to take care when
opening a door on the street side.

The word "never" would bother me. I would prefer to let the cyclist
weigh the dangers.

Do you understand that you're talking about the opposite of those
signs I proposed? And, of course, the opposite of what most door-zone
bike lanes tell cyclists?

I am opposed to the word "never."

WRT door zone bike lanes, if you don't like door zone bike lanes,
campaign against them. That's what I would do if I found one around
here. I'd leave out the "white stripe" hyperbole though.