Abandoned Royal Mail Cvcle.

Old October 11th 05, 11:47 PM
g.harman

Default Abandoned Royal Mail Cvcle.

A commercial premises I call on occasionally has had a Royal Mail
Pashley cycle leant up against a wall within its yard for approx 3 to
4 months now.
The manager of the place has notified them a couple of times about it
and also mentions it to his Postman/Woman.
Nobody has taken any notice and the thing is now looking quite sad
with a rusty chain and a disintegrating saddle.
Next week it goes in the skip.
According to the chap this is the 2nd one to have been abandoned there
so maybe a local postie has need for some transport home and then
dumps them.
Said manager said I could take it away. I was tempted as it would be
useful for nipping up the shop with its plastic carrier.The fact that
it appears to have no street cred to the extent that nobody has
already ridden it off would save worrying about theft.
The yard while private is publicly accessible.
However these things are a bit distinctive and I have no wish to get a
criminal record by being found on Royal Mails bike even if they do not
seem to want it.
Seems a waste though,and a lot of stamps to pay for one.
G.Harman
Old October 12th 05, 08:35 AM
m-gineering

"g.harman" wrote:

[...]

Over here i'd report it to the police as a found object. Police will be
happy not to have to store it, and if the mail hasn't collected it after
a year it's yours
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old October 12th 05, 09:02 AM
Ben Blaukopf

g.harman wrote:
[...]

Umpteen years ago someone abandoned a bike on my parents wall. They took
it to the police station and were told that if it wasn't claimed in a
month, then they had the right to claim it. So you could try that approach.

Ben
Old October 12th 05, 09:49 AM
Sandy Morton

In article , m-gineering
wrote:
Police will be happy not to have to store it, and if the mail
hasn't collected it after a year it's yours

In Millport found bikes are stored outside the police station door in
the hope that somebody will help themselves!

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old October 12th 05, 10:06 AM
sothach

Rob it, get it sandblasted and powder coated, it'd be a brilliant
transport hack, and when crude goes over $100 per barrel, you'd have
the start of a lucrative transport business...

Old October 12th 05, 10:15 AM
Call me Bob

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:27:57 +0100, "elyob"
wrote:

They've been notified several times that it's there and abandoned,
they've been asked to collect it and not bothered. In taking it on
you're simply saving it from the skip, not stealing it. If they ever
make the effort to come get it the yard manager can point them in your
direction. You can then invoice them for collection and storage
charges and, once they've settled up, cheerfully return it.

The OP mentions "a lot of stamps" and is therefore concerned about the
wastage levels of the PO. You suggest him charge them for storing it etc,
when it's been perfectly happy resting against a wall for 4 months.

I wasn't terribly serious about raising an invoice you know. Merely
making a point that if, at some point in the future, the RM were to
get all huffy about OP taking the bike on then it can be argued they
brought it on themselves. That if he hadn't acted to collect and
safely store it the bike would, because of their apathy, have gone in
a skip. That action wouldn't have been without a little effort and
worry on his part and so any tantrums or indignation from the RM would
have a counter.

The OP was concerned about any trouble with police should he give this
abandoned bike a home, but it seems to me that the real crime would be
to allow a perfectly functional bike go in a skip and possibly to
landfill when it could instead be doing shopping duty.

"Bob"

Old October 12th 05, 10:53 AM
Colin Blackburn

m-gineering wrote:

Over here i'd report it to the police as a found object. Police will be
happy not to have to store it, and if the mail hasn't collected it after
a year it's yours

In Co Durham it's less than a month before "it's yours" [1]. I now have
a Peugeot racing bike frame hanging in the workshop thanks to the police.

Colin
1. Though as mentioned previously the actual ownership is still contentious.
Old October 12th 05, 11:17 AM
Mark Thompson

Rob it, get it sandblasted and powder coated, it'd be a brilliant
transport hack, and when crude goes over $100 per barrel, you'd have
the start of a lucrative transport business...

Wot, by posting people to their destination?

addys Tony B UK 5 May 10th 05 01:27 PM
Royal Mail - Bikes2Work Michael MacClancy UK 3 May 1st 05 05:18 PM
" Royal Mail swaps bikes for guns" Call me Bob UK 3 January 4th 05 11:18 AM
Royal Riders one wheeled stallion Unicycling 18 March 15th 04 07:28 AM
Royal Mail Strike Again iarocu UK 40 December 17th 03 04:27 PM