any downside to Wippermann Connex link?

Old May 17th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

Default any downside to Wippermann Connex link?

On May 16, 7:56*am, Bob Ross wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
there any downside to these gizmos?

I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
be viewed as a negative.

Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

Not in my opinion. We have sold hundreds with no problems whatsoever.
We use the 6mm one on just about every 10s chain we sell(Campagnolo
and shimano),
Old May 17th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

On May 16, 6:56 am, Bob Ross wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
there any downside to these gizmos?

I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone
at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine
that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more
concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain
or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might
be viewed as a negative.

Any reason I shouldn't consider one?

I'm guessing the SRAM link can cause excessive wear on the two
adjacent links.

I've used the SRAM links on my 9-speed chains for 7 - 8 years now.
Never had one break.

I check for "chain stretch" with one of those Park tools when a chain
starts to approach 3,500 miles of use and typically reach the .75 wear
point just shy of 4,000 miles but *only* if I span the tool across the
SRAM link. Every other part of the chain measures as being under this
wear limit. I sometimes get a few hundred more miles out the the
chain by replacing the old SRAM link with a new one, which brings the
chain back into spec across the SRAM link, but it pretty quickly goes
back to the .75 wear limit.

Since this out of spec condition exhibits itself only when the tool
spans the SRAM link it seems like the adjacent links have accelerated
wear.

Tom Young
Old May 18th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul

Not a racer, myself...but I have commuted over 5000 miles without a
problem using a Connex links using wipperman and Record chains

Old May 19th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wayne[_3_]

I use the connex link on all our bikes including our tandem. No
problems since I began using them about 12,000 miles ago.

Wayne
Old May 19th 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin

TomYoung wrote:
[...]

I noticed that the 10 speed superlinks I received approx 2 years ago
seemed to have pins that were a little undersized. I reckon if you put
your chain wear tool across a new quick-link on a new chain you would
see some apparent wear. I haven't measured the pin diameters with a
micrometer, but my impression is that the pins on the Wipperman Connex
links are a closer fit in the inner links and therefore would show less
apparent wear when new and also probably cause a little less wear to
chainrings & sprockets.

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.