Nice old Durace pedals with misbegotten, obsolete cleat system

Old February 6th 15, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Nice old Durace pedals with misbegotten, obsolete cleat system

Pardon my poor memory, but can any of you peoples remind me what the name of this old Shimano cleat system from the 1980s was?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3fj8vp57s...edals.jpg?dl=0

I think this system was only manufactured for a fairly short period of time, and of course I bought a pair.

Insofar as using these pedals with Look cleats is concerned, do I correctly surmise that I am screwed?

Thank you.

retro
Old February 6th 15, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 9:45:16 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Pardon my poor memory, but can any of you peoples remind me what the name of this old Shimano cleat system from the 1980s was?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3fj8vp57s...edals.jpg?dl=0

I think this system was only manufactured for a fairly short period of time, and of course I bought a pair.

Insofar as using these pedals with Look cleats is concerned, do I correctly surmise that I am screwed?

Thank you.

retro

Those pedals take a standard slotted cleat -- just like pedals of yore. Shimano's first step-in system was some years later and was licensed from Look.. It used the same original (pre-Keo) Look cleat. You need to be a grouch and get some retro cleats. I know this great bike shop that sells just what you need (scroll down): http://www.yellowjersey.org/cleats.html

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 6th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/6/2015 11:45 AM, wrote:
Pardon my poor memory, but can any of you peoples remind me what the name of this old Shimano cleat system from the 1980s was?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3fj8vp57s...edals.jpg?dl=0

I think this system was only manufactured for a fairly short period of time, and of course I bought a pair.

Insofar as using these pedals with Look cleats is concerned, do I correctly surmise that I am screwed?

Thank you.

retro

The toeclip is compatible with the Shimano nylon 3-bolt
toeclip, still available.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/SHIM2CLP.JPG

Steel 3-bolt toeclips are long gone.

Shimano produced a cleat for Look drill shoes with toeclip
pedals, also discontinued. We produce a modern version:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html

Actual Look cleats don't have a slot for your pedal plate.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 6th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks for the information, Jay and Andrew!

So should I bag that V-shaped alloy piece in the middle of the pedal (circled):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tjzmaas0r...dals1.jpg?dl=0

and just use these pedals with old-fashioned cleats?

WTH is that V-shaped thingie for, anyway?

Old February 6th 15, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/6/2015 12:54 PM, wrote:
Thanks for the information, Jay and Andrew!

So should I bag that V-shaped alloy piece in the middle of the pedal (circled):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tjzmaas0r...dals1.jpg?dl=0

and just use these pedals with old-fashioned cleats?

WTH is that V-shaped thingie for, anyway?

That plate holds your toeclip to the pedal. In cycling shoes
you'd hardly know it's there. For the nylon toeclips, it
helps to prevent the thing from tearing off, not absolutely
necessary for steel toeclips. If it interferes with sneakers
or treaded shoes you could probably use flat washers under
the bolt heads I suppose.

Old February 7th 15, 08:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Pardon my poor memory, but can any of you peoples remind me what the name of this old Shimano cleat system from the 1980s was?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3fj8vp57s...edals.jpg?dl=0

I think this system was only manufactured for a fairly short period of time, and of course I bought a pair.

Insofar as using these pedals with Look cleats is concerned, do I correctly surmise that I am screwed?

Thank you.

retro

If you get really lucky like I was last year you too might find some New Old Stock Shimano PD-64 cleats that were originally used on those pedals. I scored 3 pairs (6 cleats in total) for $5.00 (five dollars a pair.

A couple of years ago someone on this newsgroup had tthem for @$60.00 a pair.

Ah, you can buy them here for only $64.95 a pair.

http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm

Cheers
Old February 7th 15, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 12:44:44 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Pardon my poor memory, but can any of you peoples remind me what the name of this old Shimano cleat system from the 1980s was?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3fj8vp57s...edals.jpg?dl=0

I think this system was only manufactured for a fairly short period of time, and of course I bought a pair.

Insofar as using these pedals with Look cleats is concerned, do I correctly surmise that I am screwed?

Thank you.

retro

If you get really lucky like I was last year you too might find some New Old Stock Shimano PD-64 cleats that were originally used on those pedals. I scored 3 pairs (6 cleats in total) for $5.00 (five dollars a pair.

A couple of years ago someone on this newsgroup had tthem for @$60.00 a pair.

Ah, you can buy them here for only $64.95 a pair.

http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm

The link is interesting because I didn't know that the original cleat had that shape and a 3-bolt pattern. The pedal design pre-dated the Look PP65, so was the three bolt pattern being used prior? I went straight from a pair of Duegi shoes and Campy NR track pedals to Dura Ace 7401 Look-licensed pedals and Look shoes. I never saw a conventional slotted cleat with a 3-bolt pattern before that pattern became popular for clipless systems.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 7th 15, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yes, that 3 hole pattern was before the Look clipless system. It was used with the metal toe clips on Dura Ace and New 600 triangular pedals.

Cheers
Old February 7th 15, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/7/2015 10:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I think that chronology's not quite right.

Shimano (New 600EX and DA SIS) and Look (PP60? 65?) both
published dramatic innovations in late 1983 for the 1984
model year. Shimano's 3-bolt Look pattern shoe cleat was not
offered then.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/sh83.html

It was added a few years later as a retrofit to the DD and
7400/6207 pedals. Until Look, there was no standard for
cleat to shoe interface and every maker had an unique bolt
pattern. Look not only swept the upper end of the market,
they smartly licensed the sole curvature and bolt pattern
design patents to various shoe manufacturers. There was an
interval between "Look exists" and "Look is dominant". Until
1985 Look was in short supply and small demand.

In 1988, Shimano came to some licensing arrangement with
Look, who actually produced the first Shimano (PD7401)
clipless pedal bodies in France (Shimano spindles/bearings).

If I recall, the grey cleat for Look pattern shoes with
Shimano toeclip pedals is even later, when Shimano actually
produced their own shoes in 1990.