Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

Old January 3rd 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

On 2017-01-02 17:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/2/2017 7:33 PM, John B. wrote:

Question: How much tire pressure are you running? I used gatorskins
for a while and never had any sidewall problems.

We've had Gatorskins on our tandem for a couple years now. No sidewall
problems, and (knock wood) no flats yet. But I suspect I'm quite a bit
more careful than Joerg.

The main reason is probably that you guys don't have these thorns laying
around everywhe

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te_003_lhp.jpg

Admittedly, one reason I'm more careful is that I have a stoker who can
smack me at will! The first rule for a tandem captain is "Don't upset
the stoker."

I found that stokers are on the cell phone a lot. Tandems can be
difficult to pass during commute hours and sometimes I had to stay
behind one long enough to overhear heated conversations via phone. "Now
how often do I have to tell you NOT TO DO that!?" and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

They are all over northern California but they usually reach maturity late in the season and after the first rain they thorns lose their rigidity and aren't a problem anymore. This is a typical season. They only were a pain for about a month.
Old January 3rd 17, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 3:09:24 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
My last but one Gatorskin went, side wall damage, the usual. The side
wall on the rear tire looks iffy already and if that blows I'd have no
more spare for it. So it's time to refill the basement stack.
Unfortunately the CST Correre only comes in 700c*23mm. This leaves the
Gatorskin Hardshell with supposedly better side walls but ... the
700c*25 beaded is $48, ouch, too much. To my surprise the foldable is
"only" $39. Why is that?

I don't want the normal Gatorskins anymore because the side walls are
too flimsy.

If anyone knows about another new tire that is very puncture resistant
and low cost that would be nice. Weight does not matter and heavier is
usually better.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You are so clueless

https://www.google.com/search?q=thic...ErDJIQ_AUIBygC
Old January 3rd 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-01-02 17:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/2/2017 7:33 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Hey Joerg, if you want to splurge, Gatorskin folders are on sale today at Western Bikeworks. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...d-tire-folding This is my LBS, so I don't have concerns about not buying locally.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 3rd 17, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 11:03:25 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 10:48:19 AM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thic...ErDJIQ_AUIBygC

Tell us how long you've been using Thickslicks Doug. I have a set of them and the rubber is not attached well to the casing. So when you get a cut from a piece of glass, or other road debris, it opens a wide crack in the tire that is just asking for another debilitating cut.

Unless you've used these things yourself perhaps you should keep your comments of "clueless" to yourself.

Shush Tom I'm trying to unload one

Old January 3rd 17, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-02 17:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/2/2017 7:33 PM, John B. wrote:

Question: How much tire pressure are you running? I used
gatorskins for a while and never had any sidewall problems.

We've had Gatorskins on our tandem for a couple years now. No
sidewall problems, and (knock wood) no flats yet. But I suspect
I'm quite a bit more careful than Joerg.

The main reason is probably that you guys don't have these thorns
laying around everywhe

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te_003_lhp.jpg

[...]

They are all over northern California but they usually reach maturity
late in the season and after the first rain they thorns lose their
rigidity and aren't a problem anymore. This is a typical season. They
only were a pain for about a month.

That is definitely not the case in the Sierra foothills. They are a bane
all summer long. Even now and rain doesn't seem to squash them either. I
picked two out of a tire on Sunday and it has rained a lot.

Old January 3rd 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-02 17:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/2/2017 7:33 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jay, but that's a regular Gatorskin and the price is pretty
normal for that. Those have weak side walls, they are not their new
"Hardshell" version.

The other gripe I have with them is that they run a smidgen too small. I
just mounted my last one. Getting it on took well over one hour and my
thumbs are hurting like crazy. I think I am going to try the SCT
Conquistare next. Unfortunately no wire bead but one can't have everything.

Old January 3rd 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

This _is_ a steel frame and 1982 should count as old, Gazelle Trim
Trophy. This frame:

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/234710/

I know that (probably) isn't a photo of Joerg's bike, but does it
look to anyone else like the fork has been bent backward post-impact?

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old January 3rd 17, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

This _is_ a steel frame and 1982 should count as old, Gazelle Trim
Trophy. This frame:

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/234710/

I know that (probably) isn't a photo of Joerg's bike, but does it
look to anyone else like the fork has been bent backward post-impact?

It's not mine. I think the impression of a bent fork is caused by the
photo lens.

Old January 3rd 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

I'd like 28mm but it won't fit in my frame. 23mm is too iffy because of
numerous required offroad stints and the occasional heavy load.

I am also looking at the CST Conquistare which comes in 25mm but
unfortunately only the foldable one has 3-ply all across the sidewalls.

Joerg,

Durano DD, $24 ea. when you buy 2:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../11071015.html

Michelin Pro4 Endurance, $25.5:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../11090762.html

Gatorskin, $29:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10780033.html

Gatorskin Hardshell, $32:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10780030.html

Old January 3rd 17, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-03, Joerg wrote:

I'd like 28mm but it won't fit in my frame. 23mm is too iffy because of
numerous required offroad stints and the occasional heavy load.

I am also looking at the CST Conquistare which comes in 25mm but
unfortunately only the foldable one has 3-ply all across the sidewalls.

Joerg,

Durano DD, $24 ea. when you buy 2:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../11071015.html

Michelin Pro4 Endurance, $25.5:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../11090762.html

Gatorskin, $29:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10780033.html

Gatorskin Hardshell, $32:
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ty.../10780030.html

Thanks. None of them are beaded but if I can't find anything else the
Hardshell in the last link has a very competitive price.

First I'll see if I can get the Conquistare though because they cost
less and AFAICT are also 3-ply. I have seen them under $20 with free
shipping even if you buy only one to try it.

Just mounted the last Gatorskin on a shallow Mavic rim. What a bear.
Can't feel my thumbs anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Vittoria non-folding tires Coltrane Techniques 3 September 11th 08 09:57 PM
Wire-Beaded Tires on Straight-Sided Rim? question man Techniques 5 May 7th 05 05:51 PM
27 inch folding tires? cheg Techniques 3 August 25th 04 06:31 PM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
beaded, tubeless, folding HELP! davebee UK 8 February 2nd 04 07:50 PM