Tail light that does not use fixed internal batteries

Old December 31st 18, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Tail light that does not use fixed internal batteries

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 00:23:18 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I had a cygolite tail light, but the poorly constructed light went out
in less than a year. I am looking for a replacement that does NOT use
a non-user replaceable battery. One that uses a 16350 would be nice.

The 16350 isn't very common. If you want a rechargeable CR123A
replacement, a 16340 is a closer substitute:
https://lygte-info.dk/info/CR123A%20and%20rechargeable%20substitutes%20UK.htm l
A 17335 or 17345 may also fit. I assume that you want to be able to
replace or charge the cell externally.

I couldn't find anything that meets your criteria. Most of the larger
tail lights are powered by build in LiPo cells. If desperate, you
could possibly modify a common LED flashlight to use a red LED or a
red filter. Or, you could install a motorcycle, moped, or e-Bike tail
light, and power it from three LiIon cells for about 11.1VDC.

You could also buy just the red LED light bar, LED tape, or array and
add a flasher circuit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOOSV_I9U4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172266555492

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 1st 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/31/2018 1:30 PM, wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 2:23:20 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
I had a cygolite tail light, but the poorly constructed light went out in less than a year. I am looking for a replacement that does NOT use a non-user replaceable battery. One that uses a 16350 would be nice.
Thanks

I just order red flashing taillights from Nashbar or any mail order shop. The ones similar to the Planet Bike Super Flash light. Its a popular one. Two AAA batteries that last a couple years. I hang two of them from my seatbag. And another one hanging from a zip tie through the back of my helmet. More lights is better.

The only note of caution I'd add: If taillights are literally hanging,
they're often not pointing in the proper direction. Many LED taillights
are pretty directional, especially regarding pitch (that is, pointing
up-and-down). I've seen many people with their taillights hanging or
clipped to soft bags, whose lights pointed uselessly at the ground or
the sky.

On most of my bikes the taillight is hard-mounted so it stays properly
oriented. Occasionally I use a taillight clipped onto the manufacturer's
leather taillight tab on my Karrimor saddlebag. That light points
differently when the bag is empty vs. full, so I've added a stiffening
wire that I can flex to compensate for the shape of the bag at any moment.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 1st 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 12/31/2018 12:23 AM, Andy wrote:
I had a cygolite tail light, but the poorly constructed light went out in less than a year. I am looking for a replacement that does NOT use a non-user replaceable battery. One that uses a 16350 would be nice.
Thanks

I'm fond of the Portland Design Works "Danger Zone" light:
https://ridepdw.com/collections/tail...t=24756532545#

It has a slow-flash mode that's very bright and I'll use on gray days.

It does use two AAA batteries, which you say in a later post isn't
sufficient for you, so I'll just note that this thing runs a LONG time
on those AAAs.

Mark J.
Old January 1st 19, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/31/2018 12:39 PM, Andy wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 9:57:23 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/31/2018 3:23 AM, Andy wrote:
I had a cygolite tail light, but the poorly constructed light went out in less than a year. I am looking for a replacement that does NOT use a non-user replaceable battery. One that uses a 16350 would be nice.
Thanks

I got one of these for Christmas:
https://www.niterider.com/product/tl-5-0-sl/

It uses two AAA batteries. I haven't mounted it yet, but it seems fine.

I've never felt a need for eye-scorching taillights. I know that's an
unfashionable position.

--
- Frank Krygowski

AAA batteries do not have enuf capacity for my use.

If the light uses two AA batteries, in series, then you could likely
replace them with one 14500 Li-Ion battery and one dummy cell. 3.7V is
probably close enough to work in a 3V device
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010NDAITG. A lithium AA cell has a peak
voltage of 1.8V.

I do recall one Duracell flashlight that depended on the internal
resistance of the alkaline batteries to limit current, and when I tried
NiMH C cells in the flashlight it was quickly destroyed and went back to
Costco.

Old January 1st 19, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 6:19:53 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/31/2018 1:30 PM, wrote:
[...]

My saddlebag is fairly rigid. Its medium size Jandd bag. And has the same exact contents at all time. So it stays in the same position. There are a couple straps on the back of the bag. The LED flashers stay in pretty much the exact same position. The zip tie through the back of the helmet is also pretty solid. Depends I guess on how tilted my helmet is I suppose. But its still visible.
Old January 3rd 19, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On 12/31/2018 1:30 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the responses.

Andy