cycling terminology

Old March 27th 19, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default cycling terminology

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-BANNED.html

OK, call me 'sir' or kumquat or 'hey you'. Whatever.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 30th 19, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 14:36:28 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rts-call-word-

cyclist-BANNED.html

Yawn, talk about dumb academic.
The probems started when certain radio shock jocks started abusing them.
Then it be came trendy on TV to promote violence against them.
How they are described has SFA to do with it.

Old March 30th 19, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

It's funny to me that the professor calls for "people who ride bicycles" as a substitute term, because POB has been used as a mild pejorative in my world for quite a while.

And... howdy y'all!
Old March 30th 19, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/30/2019 10:43 AM, Chalo wrote:
It's funny to me that the professor calls for "people who ride bicycles" as a substitute term, because POB has been used as a mild pejorative in my world for quite a while.

And... howdy y'all!

Welcome back! Missed you and your comments.

Old March 30th 19, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Chalo wrote:
It's funny to me that the professor calls for "people who ride bicycles"
as a substitute term, because POB has been used as a mild pejorative in
my world for quite a while.

And... howdy y'all!

He's back. That's gotta be a good sign.

Old March 30th 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at 8:33:37 PM UTC, Radey Shouman wrote:

I'm saddened to discover that we need a euphemism.

I'm not so sure we do. Here's part of a post from me on another forum addressing the common sense objection to this entire "study". QUT is a jumped-up redbrick tech, and Monash is the second university in Melbourne.

****
I just don't believe that in the QUT and Monash catchment areas they would in a small study* find even one person who would say in public that he considers cyclists "not completely human", never mind more than half the respondents. Common sense tells us that those questions were either incompetently structured or deliberately phrased to elicit some pre-determined newsworthy response, as is far too often the case in bicycle and much other "research", or the replies were "weighted" out of all relationship to reality. (It's virtually impossible, for instance, to find an unbiased helmet study. The one report I trust isn't from a sample but a simple head count of incidents and hospital admissions of cyclists-- in short, the full universe -- in New York over a period of seven years; you can't argue with a head count!)

*They would need a very expensive study of a structured sample around 3000 respondents, and I'd want to see their questions and their instructions to the interviewers.
****

Andre Jute
Statistics are mainly common sense
Old March 30th 19, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 3:43:16 PM UTC, Chalo wrote:
It's funny to me that the professor calls for "people who ride bicycles" as a substitute term, because POB has been used as a mild pejorative in my world for quite a while.

And... howdy y'all!

Missed you, Chalo!

AJ
Old March 31st 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 8:43:16 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
It's funny to me that the professor calls for "people who ride bicycles" as a substitute term, because POB has been used as a mild pejorative in my world for quite a while.

And... howdy y'all!

Oh boy, another old new face to insult. I'm sure it won't take them long. Welcome back Carter.

Cycling terminology Sir Ridesalot General 18 April 17th 07 07:55 PM
Terminology Andy Cox UK 2 February 7th 07 03:03 PM
Terminology Garry Jones General 12 March 20th 05 10:33 PM
Terminology Garry Jones Social Issues 4 March 17th 05 04:40 PM
"Cycling": A Novel by Greg Garrett - weird terminology wle General 9 March 16th 04 01:11 AM