Stopping legs from stiffening up

Old August 7th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
gjt70

Default Stopping legs from stiffening up

Dear All,

I have a fairly long and hilly ride to work followed by spending most of
the day sitting at my desk. I am finding that by the time we are a few
days through the week by legs are stiffening up during the day and am I
having difficulty getting them spinning again on the way home.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any exercises I could perform at
my desk or any advice on how to stop my legs stiffening up?

Thanks,

Gordon

Old August 7th 06, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

gjt70 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any exercises I could perform at
my desk or any advice on how to stop my legs stiffening up?

1) Ride the last 10 mins into work very easy in a low gear, spinning 90rpm+
(100 would be better). This will be tricky if your last 1/2 mile is up a
steep hill mind

2) Some discreet stretching maybe? Quads, hamstrings and calves are all you
need to do.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune
Old August 7th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gordon Taylor

Arthur Clune wrote:
gjt70 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any exercises I could perform at
my desk or any advice on how to stop my legs stiffening up?

1) Ride the last 10 mins into work very easy in a low gear, spinning 90rpm+
(100 would be better). This will be tricky if your last 1/2 mile is up a
steep hill mind

2) Some discreet stretching maybe? Quads, hamstrings and calves are all you
need to do.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur,

Unfortunately last ten minutes is mainly up hill. Last couple of
hundred metres is fairly flat and do tend to spin at around 90+ rpm.
However, find it difficult to sit back and take it easy when the end of
the ride is so near!

Gordon

Old August 7th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

Gordon Taylor wrote:

However, find it difficult to sit back and take it easy when the end of
the ride is so near!

There's your problem. Can you mentally move the 'end' of the ride somewhat
earlier so you can go nice and easy for the last 10 mins?

--
Arthur Clune
Old August 7th 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

sothach wrote:

Word is, that all that 80's stretching stuff, like you see joggers in
the park doing before/after /instead of running, is mostly pointless.

Not quite. What I've read is that stretching before is indeed pointless,
but that after is good. Cycling is very specific in that it demands many
many cycles through a very limited range of movement. This can lead to
problems

A quick look at all the anciens at a AUK/CTC event will rapidly convince
most people that some form of stretching is a good thing for cyclists

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune
Old August 7th 06, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
gjt70

How long have you been doing this route? I find the stiffness passes
after a few weeks on a new route.

I have been riding the route about 6 months so I don't see the stiffness
passing on its own. Generally speaking on a Monday or Tuesday it is not
a problem. However, by Wednesday or Thursday I start to feel it (don't
generally put in many miles at the weekend).

1) Ride the last 10 mins into work very easy in a low gear, spinning 90rpm+
(100 would be better). This will be tricky if your last 1/2 mile is up a
steep hill mind

That should help, and also be sure not to free-wheel down hills after
mashing up them - ideally, do not ride a bike with a freewheel...

I suspect that free-wheeling might be part of the problem. Not helped
by a signifciant decent (in busy slow moving traffic) followed by an
accent in the last couple of miles.

Unfortunately I suspect that without a freewheel I would not make it to
work at all!

2) Some discreet stretching maybe? Quads, hamstrings and calves are all you
need to do.

Word is, that all that 80's stretching stuff, like you see joggers in
the park doing before/after /instead of running, is mostly pointless.
I have read (sources on demand) that a light stretch like a cat does is
all that is needed. I gave it up, and have noticed to adverse effects.

I also remember reading the papers on the pointlessness of stretching.
However, not sure I am convinced! I suspect that a few stretches at the
end of the ride to work and before setting off home might make all the
difference.

Thanks for the help,

Gordon

Old August 7th 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Schneider

Maybe you need to get up from your desk and walk around more ?

Nothing physical but I find it almost impossible to sit at a desk for
more than about an hour without a quick walk.

Jon
Old August 7th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

gjt70 wrote:
I have a fairly long and hilly ride to work followed by spending most
of the day sitting at my desk. I am finding that by the time we are
a few days through the week by legs are stiffening up during the day
and am I having difficulty getting them spinning again on the way
home.

If this is not a good excuse to have your secretary give you a massage, I
don't know what is!

~PB

Old August 7th 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

gjt70 wrote:

I suspect that free-wheeling might be part of the problem. Not helped
by a signifciant decent (in busy slow moving traffic) followed by an
accent in the last couple of miles.

Leave your ego at home for the first 2-3 days of the week and ride this
last ascent at a nice easy pace. This is of course much easier said
than done if someone looks like overtaking you! It will help though.
Then if you still feel good, clobber the last couple of days.

I also remember reading the papers on the pointlessness of stretching.
However, not sure I am convinced! I suspect that a few stretches at the
end of the ride to work and before setting off home might make all the
difference.

Afterwards only, not before seems to be the current best advice (*)

Arthur

(*) Actually best practice is to ride for 10-15 mins, then stretch,
then ride, the stretch at the end. I can't see that happening on a
commute though and I certainly never do that!

--
Arthur Clune
Old August 8th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
gjt70 wrote:

How long have you been doing this route? I find the stiffness passes
after a few weeks on a new route.

I have been riding the route about 6 months so I don't see the stiffness
passing on its own. Generally speaking on a Monday or Tuesday it is not
a problem. However, by Wednesday or Thursday I start to feel it (don't
generally put in many miles at the weekend).

1) Ride the last 10 mins into work very easy in a low gear, spinning 90rpm+
(100 would be better). This will be tricky if your last 1/2 mile is up a
steep hill mind

That should help, and also be sure not to free-wheel down hills after
mashing up them - ideally, do not ride a bike with a freewheel...

I suspect that free-wheeling might be part of the problem.

So don't stop pedalling. Just because your legs aren't providing motive
power on descents doesn't mean that you can't keep them spinning, which
helps clear lactic acid from your muscles. If you have somewhere at
work that you can store and use one then a turbo trainer or set of
rollers would provide the warm-down that you're missing.

Long back and short legs Beemer UK 21 August 4th 06 08:10 PM
Stopping Smoking Not Responding UK 30 January 17th 05 12:13 PM
Emergency stopping - clipless Badger_South General 4 November 1st 04 06:05 PM
Braking Was : Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station? DavidR UK 167 August 21st 04 07:17 PM