MA3 or Open Pro?

Old August 7th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bryan

Default MA3 or Open Pro?

Looks like my trusy old MA40 rim is about to pack up (one of the spokes
seems to be pullin the rim away from the sidewall :-( ) So I'm going
to need a replacement. Should I get an MA3 for £20 from Spa or spend
more on an Open Pro from Wiggle for £34 of £37? And while we're at it,
what's teh advantage of the CF version over the plain one?

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old August 7th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Bryan wrote:
Looks like my trusy old MA40 rim is about to pack up (one of the
spokes seems to be pullin the rim away from the sidewall :-( ) So
I'm going to need a replacement. Should I get an MA3 for £20 from
Spa or spend more on an Open Pro from Wiggle for £34 of £37? And
while we're at it, what's teh advantage of the CF version over the
plain one?

Open Pro is superior as it has double eyelets, as well as being lighter.
You might find it cheaper elsewhere.

I guess you mean "CD" cos I didn't know there was a carbon fibre version!
:-)
The CD version is the hard anodised one - same sort of surface your MA40
has; more corrosion resistant but arguably more prone to cracking. The
Ceramic version (much more expensive still) is supposed to last longer and
provide better braking in the wet when used with the appropriate blocks.

I think you'll need different length spokes with either Open Pro or MA3
:-( An MA2 would be right with the same spokes if you happen to find old
stock.

~PB

Old August 7th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Pete Biggs wrote:
snip
An MA2 would be right with the same spokes if you happen to find old
stock.

I don't think there's much chance of that now - too many people think
they're better than the "new improved" Mavic rims.
Old August 7th 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Rob Morley wrote:

An MA2 would be right with the same spokes if you happen to find old
stock.

I don't think there's much chance of that now - too many people think
they're better than the "new improved" Mavic rims.

True, except they occasionally pop up on eBay. Usually 32h though.

~PB

Old August 7th 06, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bryan

Pete Biggs Wrote:
Bryan wrote:
[...]

Damn keyboard changing letters around for me, yes I did mean CD not CF
:-)

Looks like it will be the Open Pro then, I can't really grumble about
the old wheel, it's done way over 8000 miles :-) Now all I need to do
is get the spokes, and find time to build a new wheel up.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old August 7th 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
garryb59

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:11:13 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Bryan wrote:
Looks like my trusy old MA40 rim is about to pack up (one of the
spokes seems to be pullin the rim away from the sidewall :-( ) So
I'm going to need a replacement. Should I get an MA3

Am I right in saying that the MA3 has been superceded by the Open
Sport? Is the Open Sport a different rim or basically a renaming of
the MA3?

Garry

Old August 8th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

garryb59 wrote:

Am I right in saying that the MA3 has been superceded by the Open
Sport?

You're right, I forgot about that.

Is the Open Sport a different rim or basically a renaming of
the MA3?

I think it's virtually the same rim but with a wear indicator.

~PB