Drug scandal rocks Australian cycling

Old June 21st 04, 12:22 AM
Shane Stanley

Default Drug scandal rocks Australian cycling

In article ,
hippy wrote:

Why doesn't a hobby farmer pay tax? Same reason a cyclist or javelin
thrower doesn't - they are not doing it for the income?

No -- it's more related to the level of income. The gap between income
and related cost is seen as not worth worrying about.

Keep in mind that once you start getting taxed, you also get to claim
related expenses.

--
Shane Stanley
Old June 21st 04, 12:40 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
hippy wrote:

Mmm maybe if you follow the dictionary definition.. but if these guys
have a choice of taking drugs and competing at the top level or not
taking drugs and never seeing top level competition, I know which option
most will choose..

Right: they'll probably cheat too. But it's still cheating. They become
part of the reason others who don't take drugs don't make it to the top.

--
Shane Stanley
Old June 21st 04, 12:45 AM
Shabby

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Shane Stanley
hippy wrote:
Is it still cheating if everyone is doing it?

Yes.

Mmm maybe if you follow the dictionary definition.. but if these guys
have a choice of taking drugs and competing at the top level or not
taking drugs and never seeing top level competition, I know which option
most will choose..
hippy

The "everyone else is doing it" argument is a simple way of
rationalising the fact that you're cheating and don't have the talent to
compete at the top level.

It's sad that cycling doesn't make the front page of the Age when
Aussies win world championships on home soil, but does when drugs are
found at the AIS.

Old June 21st 04, 01:42 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default Drug scandal rocks Australian cycling (really nothing to do withtopic anymore)

hippy wrote:

Originally posted by L'Acrobat
Someone else wrote: you're right. You shouldn't have to pay HECS
either. Education is a community investment.

That depends on the course. A great many in the community resent paying
tax so some pretentious git can do a "gender studies" course that will
return nothing to the community.

So... where do I enrol for gender studies? Do I get to pick the
gender? ;-D

hippy

--

You can do gender studies online for free at your local library branch.
Welcome to self-education people, it's cheap and all you need is a brain

But if we're going to talk about that kind of stuff well I resent paying
money to pretty much anything that doesn't help me in some way, I think
the education we should be funding should be DRIVER education so they
don't run cyclists off the road.

Had that thing the other day where a truck veered back across in front
of me and ended up clearing me by a few cm, it was pretty scary and I
thought that if I'd had an itty-bitty helmet-mounted camera the footage
would've been great for a tv ad... so anyone who has computer/film/tv
geek friends with a little camera if you get the chance to do this
please take the offer.

Tam
Old June 21st 04, 01:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Shabby The "everyone else is doing it" argument is
a simple way of rationalising the fact that you're cheating and don't
have the talent to compete at the top level.

But they ARE competing at the top level - that's the problem.
There's no room for 'clean' riders if all the top spots are filled
with drug cheats.

It's sad that cycling doesn't make the front page of the Age when
Aussies win world championships on home soil, but does when drugs are
found at the AIS.

Doom and gloom always makes for a better cover story..

I wonder how the general non-cycling public sees this? Do they think all
the commuters they drive past are on drugs? :S

hippy

Old June 21st 04, 04:09 AM
L'acrobat

"hippy" wrote in message
Originally posted by L'Acrobat
Someone else wrote: you're right. You shouldn't have to pay HECS
either. Education is a community investment.

That depends on the course. A great many in the community resent paying
tax so some pretentious git can do a "gender studies" course that will
return nothing to the community.

So... where do I enrol for gender studies? Do I get to pick the
gender? ;-D

Think of the sort of things you could try to introduce for credit as
"recognition of prior learning".

Old June 22nd 04, 08:22 AM
macca

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 02:43:56 GMT, "L'acrobat" wrote:
I'm stunned.

Athletes, who can get huge endorsements if they win, are prepared to cheat
to do so.

"DRS" wrote in message
"A drug scandal has rocked Australia's Olympic preparations, with

explosive
claims in Federal Parliament that up to six elite cyclists used an
Australian Institute of Sport residence as a "shooting gallery"."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...245113326.html

--

A: Top-posters.

Welcome to the real world..

Old June 22nd 04, 08:24 AM
macca

hippy wrote:
Is it still cheating if everyone is doing it?

Yes.

Mmm maybe if you follow the dictionary definition.. but if these guys
have a choice of taking drugs and competing at the top level or not
taking drugs and never seeing top level competition, I know which option
most will choose..

hippy

--

So this makes it right then.??

Old June 22nd 04, 12:21 PM
L'acrobat

Yes, they'll choose cheating but that doesn't change the fact that it IS
cheating..

It isn't just the dictionary definition, its the common definition, the
legal definition and the actual cycling federation definition.

.. .

Old June 22nd 04, 02:29 PM
Marty Wallace

"L'acrobat" wrote in message
news
Yes, they'll choose cheating but that doesn't change the fact that it IS
cheating..

It isn't just the dictionary definition, its the common definition, the
legal definition and the actual cycling federation definition.

.. .
hippy wrote:
Is it still cheating if everyone is doing it?

Yes.

Mmm maybe if you follow the dictionary definition.. but if these guys
have a choice of taking drugs and competing at the top level or not
taking drugs and never seeing top level competition, I know which option
most will choose..

hippy

Oh no!!!
You top posted!