question about Carradice saddlebags (Barley)

Old April 29th 09, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Woland99

Default question about Carradice saddlebags (Barley)

Howdy - I am considering getting Carradice Barley bag for my touring
bike
(Novara Randonee). I hope that it will provide somewhat flexible
storage
- small enough to keep it on a bike for most short rides
- yet big enough for say 80+ miles unsupported ride.
My bike has Books B17 saddle.

I never had a saddlebag on my bike so I am a little concerned about
two issues:
1. bag interfering with/grazing the back of my thighs
2. bag swinging back and forth and thus dissipating energy

I know that Carradice makes SQR support that will raise the bag and
move it
back - away from legs. There is also support (with QR and permanent
mount)
called Bagman. Both might be a good addition - not only because of
potential
contact with legs but also because that would allow some unobstructed
storage
on top of the rack (duffel bag etc).

TIA for any comments/pointers,

JT

PS. To landotter: it seems that I finally saw the light and decided to
use my
TOURING bike for what it was built for - longer distance rides. Put
back the
rack on it and pretty soon it will get permanent set of fenders ;-)
Old April 30th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 29, 7:27*am, Woland99 wrote:
Howdy - I am considering getting Carradice Barley bag for my touring
bike
(Novara Randonee). I hope that it will provide somewhat flexible
storage
- small enough to keep it on a bike for most short rides
- yet big enough for say 80+ miles unsupported ride.
My bike has Books B17 saddle.

I never had a saddlebag on my bike so I am a little concerned about
two issues:
1. bag interfering with/grazing the back of my thighs
2. bag swinging back and forth and thus dissipating energy

I originally bought a Carradice for use while riding my folding bike
on vacation. I liked it well enough that I now also use it on the
bike I use for general recreation, which is a Cannondale touring bike.

First, the capacity is nice, although I've long gotten by with less
space because I use a handlebar bag (and still do). I like the look
of the Carradice, which is either classic or fredly, depending on your
viewpoint.

In standard position, the bag barely touched the backs of my thighs,
which didn't bother me. Since it straps around the seatpost, it
doesn't do much swinging either. I rode for, oh, two years or so with
the bag in stock configuration.

But the center part of the Carradice did sit on my rear fender. If I
had no fender, it would have scraped the tire. Also, my saddle had no
bag loops, so I added some aftermarket ones that clamp onto the saddle
rails. That meant moving the bag from one bike to another meant
fighting with the straps in the tight space under my saddle, a finicky
operation.

Others have addressed these problems with "Carradice hacks." See
http://www.wallbike.com/content/carradicehacks.html

This winter, I did my own Carradice hack. It's more elaborate - a
fairly simple internal tubular frame that the bag hangs from, a
bracket with inverted dropouts that stays on the saddle, a quick
release to clamp the bag to the bracket, and a standoff from the
seatpost. The bag is absolutely steady now, a load won't make the bag
touch the fender, and the bag can be removed in ten seconds. My
arrangement does what the SQR support does, but (I think) better. I
can post photos later if you're interested.

- Frank Krygowski

Question on saddlebags Smokey General 1 August 16th 07 04:29 PM
Saddlebags Slark UK 6 April 22nd 07 09:54 AM
Carradice carriers Ted UK 6 July 22nd 06 05:52 PM
Seatpacks and saddlebags... Simon Bennett UK 14 March 7th 06 11:55 AM
Brooks saddlebags David Damerell Techniques 3 January 21st 04 06:03 AM