Is this hitting races too?

Old June 22nd 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Is this hitting races too?

http://tinyurl.com/5roqus

High fuel prices put brakes on indie band tours By JASON DEAREN,
Associated Press Writer
Sun Jun 22, 12:22 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - Steven Garcia pulled into a Houston gas station
recently to fill up the old Dodge van his punk band uses on summer
tours.

For months, the 23-year-old singer-guitarist had been budgeting money
and booking show dates for Something Fierce's third tour — but
skyrocketing gas prices have put the brakes on those plans.

I know that this has been an issue with Officials, and has been
looked at by USAC, but are less racers traveling?
The only good thing is that it finally seems to have people actually
thinking about their usage.
Bill C

Old June 23rd 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 22, 3:39*pm, Bill C wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/5roqus

High fuel prices put brakes on indie band tours By JASON DEAREN,
Associated Press Writer
Sun Jun 22, 12:22 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - Steven Garcia pulled into a Houston gas station
recently to fill up the old Dodge van his punk band uses on summer
tours.

For months, the 23-year-old singer-guitarist had been budgeting money
and booking show dates for Something Fierce's third tour — but
skyrocketing gas prices have put the brakes on those plans.

*I know that this has been an issue with Officials, and has been
looked at by USAC, but are less racers traveling?
*The only good thing is that it finally seems to have people actually
thinking about their usage.
*Bill C

it appears that way this year.

i know i'm being more choosy with the races I travel too. no more
driving 2.5 hours to a ind. park crit to race for 50 or 60 min.

the race has to be good enough to justify the fuel cost.
Old June 23rd 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Jun 22, 8:25*pm, wrote:
On Jun 22, 3:39*pm, Bill C wrote:

[...]

the race has to be good enough to justify the fuel cost.- Hide quoted text -

That's kinda what I thought would be happening. It's been a crowded
calendar here in New England for years. It'll be interesting to see
just which races continue to do well. I'll be really interested to
hear how the stuff down in Pa. shakes out too. Doesn't seem to be the
time to be skimping on customer service and rider satisfaction.
Bill C
Old June 23rd 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Bill C wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5roqus

SAN FRANCISCO - Steven Garcia pulled into a Houston gas station
recently to fill up the old Dodge van his punk band uses on summer
tours.

For months, the 23-year-old singer-guitarist had been budgeting money
and booking show dates for Something Fierce's third tour ‹ but
skyrocketing gas prices have put the brakes on those plans.

Think about being in a band that's playing small clubs that only charge $5 or $10
to get in. You might not make enough to pay for gas to the next gig, let alone eat.
This is going to make blagging floor space from your fans even more prevalent than it
already is. Bands better hope they do a lot of merch - CDs and shirts can help.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old June 23rd 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 22, 8:52*pm, Bill C wrote:

*That's kinda what I thought would be happening. It's been a crowded
calendar here in New England for years. It'll be interesting to see
just which races continue to do well. I'll be really interested to
hear how the stuff down in Pa. shakes out too. Doesn't seem to be the
time to be skimping on customer service and rider satisfaction.

Seemed like a pretty good turnout for the Giro d'Jersey that just
finished up today. Quite a few cars from MD and the various New
England states. Nice race, quite fun to do a three day event for a
change and as a bonus my longest travel time was about 20 minutes.
Sweet!!

With guys running $2000++ wheelsets and $10,000 TT bikes I don't think
the master fattie fields will suffer all that much.

Mark
Old June 23rd 08, 10:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

2bowlers wrote:
Seemed like a pretty good turnout for the Giro d'Jersey

I assume the GC jersey is pollution colored ?

Old June 23rd 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Jun 22, 9:05*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,
*Bill C wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5roqus
[...]

Yeah it's brutal. my partner's kids are doing it now. One in Philly,
and one in NYC. Working at HomeCheapo and an independent coffehouse
respectively. Strangely enough HomeCheapo is actually being supportive
and allowing him a really flexible schedule to do his music. No need
to say the coffeehouse is supportive.
Bill C
Old June 23rd 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Jun 22, 12:39*pm, Bill C wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/5roqus

High fuel prices put brakes on indie band tours By JASON DEAREN,
Associated Press Writer
Sun Jun 22, 12:22 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - Steven Garcia pulled into a Houston gas station
recently to fill up the old Dodge van his punk band uses on summer
tours.

For months, the 23-year-old singer-guitarist had been budgeting money
and booking show dates for Something Fierce's third tour — but
skyrocketing gas prices have put the brakes on those plans.

*I know that this has been an issue with Officials, and has been
looked at by USAC, but are less racers traveling?
*The only good thing is that it finally seems to have people actually
thinking about their usage.

It depends upon how similar bike racing is to wearing Assos gear, or
maybe what fraction of old fat racers wear Assos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Not designed for hitting trees, either [email protected] Techniques 28 January 9th 08 05:13 AM
hitting bricks TerryJ UK 3 December 20th 07 08:29 PM
If you're tired of hitting penguins Mark McNeill UK 2 July 11th 06 02:36 AM
Shit hitting the fan. crit PRO Racing 58 April 6th 05 08:02 AM
More on Bush hitting the "trails" Raptor Mountain Biking 17 March 22nd 05 08:13 PM