New bike for Jay

Old August 1st 17, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-08-01 08:45, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:18:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
What,abt the nww bike performance ?

I find that new bike performance is limited by my old legs. YMMV

... and lungs. And ticker. Plus, the fire in my belly is largely
gone.

The fire sometimes comes back, though. We (my wife and I, riding
tandem) were on a pretty leisurely club ride a couple weeks ago. A
new young guy had showed up, and we were riding along chatting with
him. He said he rides to stay in shape for his other sports, etc.

As we talked, one of our club members who's notorious for such
behavior decided to hit high gear and crank away out front for a
while, then wait for the rest of the crew to catch up. When he did
that, the newbie suddenly ended our conversation, saying something
like "Excuse me now..." and took off.

I though "Excuse me???" and told my wife "Let's go." So we reeled
him in and were a comfortable ten feet behind when he caught the
rabbit. For icing on the cake, our rabbit guy (as he always does)
left the leisurely riders for the last five miles or so to crank in
at 20 - 25 mph . My wife and I were close behind, and the newbie
was a distant third. It was quite satisfying.

But with a tandem, terrain is everything. If it weren't fairly
flat, we'd happily ride back with the leisurely crowd.

(P.S. Don't interpret this tale as a claim that I could stick with
Jay, Tom or Duane, let alone James.)

I'm old and slow. I wouldn't ride with you because you'd be in the
middle of the road. I'd keep saying, "hey Frank, get over here.
You're going to get whacked." You would scold me for being a gutter
bunny, although I don't ride on the fog line and rarely ride anywhere
with a gutter. We'd ride up on Joerg who would have a pannier full
of water, a couple CPUs and a growler. He'd be complaining about
psychopaths in cars and the fact that his Gazelle didn't come with
factory rack-mounts and room for 35mm steel belted tires or a o-ring
chain. He'd have to stop every fifteen minutes to pee. I don't think
this NG would want to ride together.

Only one pee on a 4-5h ride. My PSA test came back 0.4ng/ml so no "urge
to go" from that department. However, I might bow out of the r.b.t.
peloton the millisecond I spot a brewpub. You son would probably already
be in the next county by then and leave us old farts behind.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 1st 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-07-31 20:33, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Well, I felt good enough to go out yesterday for a 55 mile ride with
about 20 miles of steady or rolling hills, during which time I drank
one 24oz bottle of Hammer Heed and a quarter of a 21oz bottle of water
-- plus a Cliff Bar.

My ride was about 40 miles, pretty hilly (for me), 85 degrees, sunny and
about 75% humidity. I used up two standard water bottles. I was
definitely ready for the big glass of orange juice and another bottle of
water at the end.

If "definitely ready" means you were craving liquids that is a sign that
you were quite dehydrated.

Huh. I thought it was a sign I was thirsty.

Ah well. I got the orange juice and water, so yet another tragedy was
miraculously averted.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 1st 17, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-31 20:33, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Well, I felt good enough to go out yesterday for a 55 mile ride with
about 20 miles of steady or rolling hills, during which time I drank
one 24oz bottle of Hammer Heed and a quarter of a 21oz bottle of water
-- plus a Cliff Bar.

My ride was about 40 miles, pretty hilly (for me), 85 degrees, sunny and
about 75% humidity. I used up two standard water bottles. I was
definitely ready for the big glass of orange juice and another bottle of
water at the end.

If "definitely ready" means you were craving liquids that is a sign
that you were quite dehydrated.

Huh. I thought it was a sign I was thirsty.

Ah well. I got the orange juice and water, so yet another tragedy was
miraculously averted.

Thirst _is_ a sign that dehydration has already begun. Not a good one
though because dehydration can also set in before thirst appears.

Old August 1st 17, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

My feeling on the matter is:
Do NOT drink a 12-pack of beer the nite before riding the 5 Miles of Hell trail in Utah.
Old August 1st 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

No 12-packs from the store here, it's only our own brew. The good stuff.

Old August 1st 17, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Actually, I felt fine. First I got a flat and changed it in the 100 degrees. Then shortly after that I unexpectedly puked - about a 1/2 bucket full of clear water. And I'm like OMG I needed that!!! Then it happened again.. I had just puked up more water than I was carrying. It was 9 or 10 am and still getting hotter. We were still on the "entrance exam". I took the next bailout.
https://www.google.com/search?q=5+mi...w=1194&bih=634
Old August 1st 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-08-01 13:25, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/1/2017 4:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-31 20:33, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Oh no! I just realized I'm a little thirsty right now! Dehydration has
begun!

I hope I can stumble from my keyboard to the kitchen sink without
suffering irreparable harm!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 1st 17, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-07-27 10:50, wrote:
I know 5-6 fast commuters but its expensive ...

Like this?

https://corporatejetinvestor.com/wp-.../Falcon_8X.jpg

Where was the foto taken?

No idea. Greece has a lot of such islands but I don't know where they
took the photo.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

on my screen first island may have a layer of deposited n then uplifted limestone

but the spire may be a worn plug ....

2 clues a geologist could locate with ....

find sun position

maybe tip of an archipelago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_landforms
Old August 2nd 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Wow. Was the 12-pack some of the cheap stuff that gives headaches and
such? 12 is a bit much anyhow.

Old August 2nd 17, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jay ? how's the A/C ?