New bike for Jay

Old August 2nd 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default New bike for Jay

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 12:44:31 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/2/2017 1:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On 2017-08-01 08:45, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:18:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
What,abt the nww bike performance ?

I find that new bike performance is limited by my old
legs. YMMV

... and lungs. And ticker. Plus, the fire in my belly is
largely gone.

The fire sometimes comes back, though. We (my wife and I,
riding tandem) were on a pretty leisurely club ride a
couple weeks ago. A new young guy had showed up, and we
were riding along chatting with him. He said he rides to
stay in shape for his other sports, etc.

As we talked, one of our club members who's notorious for
such behavior decided to hit high gear and crank away out
front for a while, then wait for the rest of the crew to
catch up. When he did that, the newbie suddenly ended our
conversation, saying something like "Excuse me now..." and
took off.

I though "Excuse me???" and told my wife "Let's go." So we
reeled him in and were a comfortable ten feet behind when
he caught the rabbit. For icing on the cake, our rabbit
guy (as he always does) left the leisurely riders for the
last five miles or so to crank in at 20 - 25 mph . My wife
and I were close behind, and the newbie was a distant
third. It was quite satisfying.

But with a tandem, terrain is everything. If it weren't
fairly flat, we'd happily ride back with the leisurely
crowd.

(P.S. Don't interpret this tale as a claim that I could
stick with Jay, Tom or Duane, let alone James.)

I'm old and slow. I wouldn't ride with you because you'd be
in the middle of the road. I'd keep saying, "hey Frank, get
over here. You're going to get whacked." You would scold me
for being a gutter bunny, although I don't ride on the fog
line and rarely ride anywhere with a gutter. We'd ride up on
Joerg who would have a pannier full of water, a couple CPUs
and a growler. He'd be complaining about psychopaths in cars
and the fact that his Gazelle didn't come with factory
rack-mounts and room for 35mm steel belted tires or a o-ring
chain. He'd have to stop every fifteen minutes to pee. I
don't think this NG would want to ride together.

Only one pee on a 4-5h ride. My PSA test came back 0.4ng/ml so
no "urge to go" from that department. However, I might bow out
of the r.b.t. peloton the millisecond I spot a brewpub. You son
would probably already be in the next county by then and leave
us old farts behind.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

My feeling on the matter is: Do NOT drink a 12-pack of beer the
nite before riding the 5 Miles of Hell trail in Utah.

No 12-packs from the store here, it's only our own brew. The good
stuff.

Depends where you buy your beer. My local store has an awesome
selection:
http://www.rainydayportland.com/2012...multnomah.html

Here is our Marco's Cafe, in the middle of this page:

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/gold-country-ca

Great place. Food is mediocre at best but good brews and good live
music. With dancing.

Beer is passe. There's a brewpub or brewery on every Portland
street corner. http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries You can get good
Oregon brewed bottled IPAs at Costco.

That is a major line-up. We don't have quite that selection but it's
adequate. However, since I started brewing my own it only matters during
rides. On some MTB rides far off civilization I take a home brew along.
Surpringly it stays very cool in a stainless double-wall thermos and the
constant shaking doesn't seem to harm it much.

Now it's about cannabis -- and maybe hard cider . . . or mead. Hell,
I don't know. No, no . . . its artisanal booze:
http://www.distilleryrowpdx.com/

Try their Hopka:

http://www.indiospirits.com/

Good stuff, just don't ride after too many of those. There are also in
Portland. Where else?

Hops liqueur? Blecchhhh. I'm not an atisanal liquor fan.

I don't know. My boss just brought me a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year
old small batch bourbon. They don't sell it in Quebec but she lives in
Ontario. Not sure what you mean by artisanal liquor but this stuff is
good. Makes me miss New Orleans where I can grab it at the Breaux Mart
along with my tasso and andouille.

I don't have the palate, and brown liquor tends to give me a headache. When the Scotch snobs convene, I zone out and leaf through Velo News. I follow beer a little bit because it is a big economic driver around here and basically a local pastime like Timbers' soccer or flogging Donald Trump. http://oregoncraftbeer.org/facts/

We do have a burgeoning craft distilling culture, but going to a single tasting would disable me for a week. I was getting some post-ski pizza with the family in Hood River and stumbled across a craft-ish distillery tasting room. It looked very inviting. http://www.drinkmemag.com/wp-content...-in-Oregon.jpg My wife looked at me and shook her head. Too far home on the Gorge in winter . . . at night.

Yep, Oregon is special, just like everyone else:
https://www.deathsdoorspirits.com/

Cool name, which from my experience is about half the battle. I'm going to this place and create my own brand. http://citrusdistillers.com/create-brand/create-vodka/

-- Jay Beattie.

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Just saw a favorite pub of mine from New Orleans on Facebook touting
some Sour Orange beer. What's this world coming to?
Old August 3rd 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

OJ with seltzer n cut O slices

Refreshing
Old August 3rd 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Marcos is kind of a dump (but about the only place you could buy
espresso drinks 30-40 years ago in PDX). I was posting the picture
of the dumpy market down the street with the massive beer collection.
They have a zillion bottles and some really arcane stuff. Even the
store that is about a third of a mile from my house has a good beer
selection. There is a growler fill place across the street from that.
You have to like to home brew as a hobby because it is super-easy to
just walk down the street and buy a good beer. I have too many other
chores to spend time home brewing, but maybe I'll try it when I
retire.

Well, here in the People's Republic of California we have myriad
nonsensical rules such as no growler sales at any place that doesn't
brew right then and there. Then myriad taxes and "fees" (a.k.a. taxes)
which makes a growler fill cost $15-$20 instead of you $10 and the whole
picture turns pretty bleak. A growler with Belgian Tripel costs north of
$20 and I can make five gallons (which equals 10 growlers) for under $60.

Money or distance isn't the reason for me. For example, yesterday I rode
up to Placerville on singletrack and had a beer at a brewery, could have
brought back a growler. However, a growler with two people mweans you'll
be drinking the same beer all night. Also, I like to experimnent a bit
with the recipes so we have some beers now that you cannot buy anywhere.

Old August 3rd 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Very normal these days. Here is the selection of beers including sours
from one of my cycling stops:

http://mrazbrewingcompany.com/beers/

Old August 3rd 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Brewing your own means you'll have five gallons of the same beer, good or bad. Don't forget to factor-in the cost of bottles, your time and other capital costs.

To show you how mundane the beer craze is, here's the growler fill selection at my local supermarket (as opposed to market). It's walking distance, too, but a longer walk. http://growlers.fredmeyermedia.com/st/burlingame Fred Meyer is roughly the equivalent of a big Safeway or Lucky store. It's owned by Kroeger (Smith's in Utah).

BTW, Hop Venom is very good if you're into double-IPAs. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23066/72750/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 3rd 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-01 16:46, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

That's actually a good thing. You now have 52-55 12oz bottles of the
good stuff that tastes like fresh from tap even after sitting there for
a month or more. So far I didn't have a batch gone bad.

We usually have 6-8 kinds of beer available at all times. Once you get
started with brewing a mix develops that suits the family's taste.
Homebrew usually has a longer shelf-life that store-bought. We try new
beers all the time. Some become favorites, some don't but are ok. Then
there is "his and hers", she likes American Wheat brewed with some
clover honey while my favorite is Belgian Tripel.

... Don't forget to factor-in the cost of bottles, your time
and other capital costs.

Our bottles are all saved commercial ones. Can't factor in time, at
least not in terms of what I could otherwise make as an engineer. It is
a hobby. A good brew requires 4-6h total but that contains other
activities. In winter I brew in the man cave downstairs and while
watching the kettle out of the corner of an eye I either learn some
Spanish from TV or use the pool table. In summer I brew outside and do
yard maintenance in parallel. On hot days I wear my swim trunks and hop
into the swimming pool once in a while.

To show you how mundane the beer craze is, here's the growler fill
selection at my local supermarket (as opposed to market). It's
walking distance, too, but a longer walk.
http://growlers.fredmeyermedia.com/st/burlingame Fred Meyer is
roughly the equivalent of a big Safeway or Lucky store. It's owned by
Kroeger (Smith's in Utah).

Ooooh, Honey Koelsch! I've got to try brewing one of those. We always
have homemade Koelsch available, it is one of the staples here.

It's good that they offer 32oz fills, that's only two pints and you can
pick another for later. Anyhow, in California the goons would soon swoop
in and shut the whole place down.

BTW, Hop Venom is very good if you're into double-IPAs.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23066/72750/

I love that stuff and 80 IBU would be right up my alley. My wife won't
drink it though.

Old August 3rd 17, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2017-08-01 16:46, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

Buying beer your wife won't drink sounds like a plan.
Old August 3rd 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-01 16:46, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

Doesn't work. Then she starts sipping at _my_ Belgian Tripel :-)