Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Old May 10th 18, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On Thu, 10 May 2018 06:28:48 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 7:39:42 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:

I'm sure Joerg has an anecdote where thousands of unlit persons were
killed by left turning cars. All the dyno using people in NL and
elsewhere are in horrible danger

Danger, sometimes yes. I've had close calls but not terribly close.
However, like many other risks that can be reduced with lights so I use
lights. Never had a close call with the MagicShine clones. They see me
much better.

And I've never had that close call with even a 2.4 Watt halogen light powered
by a standard dynamo. I don't need them to see me better. They see me fine,
according to my decades of riding experience.

Again, riding home after teaching a night class, I had motorists up ahead of
me wait over 20 seconds for me to pass before they either turned left or pulled
out of a side street. I _never_ had any indication a motorist did not see
my headlight.

I realize I live in an area so safe there aren't even any mountain lions. And
I never heard of a death around here caused by a lack of sunglasses. But I
still don't believe Joerg's area is the death pit he pretends.

- Frank Krygowski

I believe from my own experiences that a flashing light does attract
attention better then a steady light, and tests by various highway
agencies seems to show the same thing. I believe I've told the story
about the guy with the bright orange knee socks who passed me on a
straight section of road and nearly a kilometer away you could still
see those orange legs going up and down, up and down :-)

I agree flashing lights are more conspicuous than equivalent steady lights.
I also agree the uniquely human left-right-left-right motion is very
noticeable. To carry this further, so are flipping flags on six-foot-tall
poles, as were once fashionable. (Vermont Bicycle Tours required them on every
bike on their guided tours of country roads.)

Why don't we have lots of flippy flag fanatics posting here? Only Scharf has
done that, and his flag wasn't even vertical.

I just don't think all those devices are necessary. Joerg talks with horror
about his near misses, and about hearing from friends who heard from friends
about other friends who nearly died. I ride prominently in the lane and I
have none of those horror experiences. None.

As a further benefit, I have no door zone worries, I dissuade right hooks,
I have more room to maneuver around potholes, etc.

- Frank Krygowski

I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a sensible rider.
RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time to dodge the
door if necessary. Re right hooks, just look behind you before you
reach the intersection...

I've never actually seen an auto lurking in terror because I have a
flashing light but I'm not adverse to using one as it might make some
notice me a bit sooner but on the other hand I wouldn't argue that
with out one the rider was in great danger.

I also wear bright colored jerseys as I assume it makes a rider more
visible.

I suspect that wearing a black jersey on a dark night with no lights
is not the best approach... although I've it here, done while riding
the wrong way, too :-)

The waving flag was and I think still is mandatory for motor vehicles
operating on military air fields.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 18, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/05/18 21:34, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2018 21:40:15 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 5:24:35 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:

I do agree though since most people change into cycling gear, that worrying
about putting a light on isn’t much of a hassle really.

Interesting point. I change into cycling gear only for long recreational rides.
When I jump on the bike to go to a store, etc. I'm always in normal street
clothes. For me, searching for a battery powered bike light, mounting it,
keeping it charged etc. is too much trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised to find strong correlation between always riding in
special bike garb, and preferring removable battery lights; or conversely,
usually riding in ordinary clothes and preferring always-ready dyno lights.

- Frank Krygowski

I hate to be a heretic but I suspect that type of light used and how
it is powered depend largely on what people are doing with the bike.
You mention "jumping on the bike to go to the store". When we lived in
Phuket that was a 70 Km round trip. Now we've moved (about 2 hours
north of Bangkok), it is more like a half an hour, round trip.

For at least 10 years.... more now I think of it, I've never used a
bicycle light to see with. When you are a degree or two off the
equator it is pretty easy to find enough day light to ride in :-)

I had, for a while, a sidewall generator but as I always rode in the
daytime I took it off.

If I were still living in up state New Hampshire where I grew up my
lighting would likely be radically different :-)

I have a dynamo powered head light and battery powered tail light.

I like to be able to get on and ride. If I go for a ride and it is a
foggy morning or an early start before the sun is up, or a storm blows
through, I turn my lights on. If I go for a ride in the evening and the
sun goes down before I get home, I turn my lights on. It is a 25km
round trip for me to ride to the nearest shops.

I usually wear "special bike garb".

I've gone against Frank's hypothesis, I don't do the same as you and I
have mixed batteries and dynamo!

--
JS
Old May 11th 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I used to have a battery powered flashing headlight for urban bicycle
warfare .. ahem .. riding.

When I swapped to a dynamo powered steady headlight I had fewer SMIDSY
incidents. Not zero, but certainly fewer.

--
JS
Old May 11th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2018 6:15 PM, John B. wrote:

I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a sensible rider.
RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time to dodge the
door if necessary.

Um... no, that's not sensible.

Consider what happens if you're riding just 15 kph and a driver pops his
door open as you pass his rear bumper. There's no way to stop in time.

If you're lucky, you'll hit his door squarely and crumple beneath it. If
you're unlucky, you'll snag the door edge with your right handlebar, the
bike will steer to the right, your body will be thrown down to the left,
and the motor vehicle you were worried about will run over you.

Unlike mountain lion attacks, dooring really is a danger. Most states
don't record it as a car-bike collision, because they record those only
if the car was moving. But Chicago did keep track, and found that
something like 20% of car-bike crashes were doorings.

Don't ride in the door zone. Just don't.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 18, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

And we have a $1000 fine for causing an accident by dooring -- and the
cops write the tickets.

on't ride in the door zone. Just don't.

Yeah, you live in smallsville. If I don't ride in the door zone, it
takes me three times as long to get to work.

--
sig 22
Old May 11th 18, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 10 May 2018 23:06:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Funny, I can't remember ever having problem with "door zones" and
there was one area, actually a small bridge in a village I used to
pass through where cars congregated. There was a bank just at the edge
of the bridge which had ATM's there were always cars parked there. I
never gave it much thought but what I think I did was to move out
further into the road. I do remember having a couple of people open
their door just a crack and peer out at me and then close the door and
wait for me to pass.

One thing that is difficult in discussing traffic in different
countries is the different laws and customs. In Thailand, for example,
if you were to open the door of your car into someone's path and they
literally ripped your door off and punted it down the road that would
be your fault and you would be liable for both repairs to your car,
the "door ripper" and any damage the door did subsequent to being
ripped off.

But something that is happening in Bangkok at the moment might be of
interest in the U.S. Bangkok is literally covered with surveillance
cameras which are now being programmed to stop the rather reckless
lane changing one sees in Bangkok. As of yesterday, in one day, they
caught 750 vehicles making illegal lane changes and providing the
program gets the go ahead traffic tickets will be mailed to the
miscreants.

The news article emphasized that each lane change is a separate
offence so ten illegal lane changes equates to 10 tickets. Which, if
the news article was accurate would equate to about 10,000 baht in
fines. As a comparison, minimum wage here is 300 baht a day, at the
moment. 10,000/300 = ~33 days of minimum wages.

If the U.S. would install and program surveillance cameras to
recognize bicycles and to identify those who break the various laws
that control them it might put a large dent in the numbers of bicycle
accidents.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 18, 10:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. wrote:

If the U.S. would install and program surveillance cameras to
recognize bicycles and to identify those who break the various laws
that control them it might put a large dent in the numbers of bicycle
accidents.

If everyone feeling threatened by cager-staffed revenue enforcement unfairly
interpreting those "various" laws switched to riding the bus, driving,
ordering stuff from delivery outlets with their "highly qualified" drivers, yes.

Statistics at work. Congratulations!
Old May 11th 18, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Be careful what you wish:
https://futurism.com/facial-recognit...social-credit/

This will not end with lane changes and jaywalking.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 11th 18, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-09 10:08, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Flashing rear lights are great and I use them. They make a cyclist more
noticeable than a car at the same distance. There are some that turn
into flash mode when power comes on (without pressing the button) so
with some simple electronics up front they could also be useful for
dynamo-only situations. Though then they will go out when stopped which
is not good.

Why don't we have lots of flippy flag fanatics posting here? Only Scharf has
done that, and his flag wasn't even vertical.

I just don't think all those devices are necessary. Joerg talks with horror
about his near misses, and about hearing from friends who heard from friends
about other friends who nearly died.

The usual nonsense because you don't read carefully. These were friends.
People I hung out with all the time. And yes, they were hit by cars
while cycling. Then there is the wife of a guy I regularly met on our
dog walks. She was on a road bike and run over (literally) by a large
pickup truck. It took years of medical attention and special training
before she could even sit on a road bike again.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 11th 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/11/2018 7:36 AM, Joerg wrote:

Flashing rear lights are great and I use them. They make a cyclist more
noticeable than a car at the same distance. There are some that turn
into flash mode when power comes on (without pressing the button) so
with some simple electronics up front they could also be useful for
dynamo-only situations. Though then they will go out when stopped which
is not good.

For front lights I'd like to see the same law for bicycles as we have in
most states for motorcycles, daytime running lights are mandatory.
Modulated or flashing is better, but even solid is okay.

For rear lights, most riders already use flashing rear lights.