To patch or not to patch...

Old November 20th 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

Default To patch or not to patch...

I had to cut my regular night ride short when I heard a hissing sound
coming from my tire. I checked it out and sure enough there was a
puncture. I was taken down by a nail no more than 5mm long.
I'm probably going to end up trying to get this tire off (Maxxis CC)
tomorrow to patch it and was wondering how to go about taking it off.
I've searched for a thread I read talking about this issue, but I
couldn't find it again.

Also, there is a product in the bicycle section of my local hardware
store that coats the inside of the tire to help resistance against
punctures. I can't recall the name of it, but would it be recommended
to use such a product? I don't know how well it would work with a lower
pressure trials tire.

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

And get 'LOST' (www.lost.eu/69d9c).
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 09:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I'm not sure how tight a CC is on a KH rim but to get my Luna off a DX32
I needed to get some good quality tire levers. The plastic ones broke
and the cheep steel ones scratch your rim so I use levers with a steel
core and plastic outside.

Make sure that you unseat your bead by pushing it towards the center of
the rim where there is a bit of a dip giving you more room to work.

Having a spare tube is never a bad Idea, swapping tubes is faster than
fixing. I tend to swap a punctured tube with a good one if I want to go
riding again right away, then patch the punctured tube after the ride
so i have a spare again for next time.

I would suggest against the slime stuff because in my experience it
just makes a mess when you really blow your tube and it degrades rubber
over time.

After typing this little blurb up I remembered that the almighty
'Sheldon Brown' (http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html) would surely have
an article on this

Peace

ERIC

--
saskatchewanian

john_childs wrote:
The difference between 1.5 meters and 6 feet is just to do with the
exchange rate. 1.5 Canadian meters are now worth 6 US feet.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

I will give you the secret, USE DISH SOAP!

If the tire is hard to get off, Dish Soap seems to work miracles.

I have a stiff DH tire on my bike with a DX32 in the back and it's a
pain to get on and off, so I started using dish soap. My rim is chewed
though, so I just use a big spanner for a router or saw of some kind as
a tire lever.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

Well what can I say... I've never had trouble getting my CC off my KH20
besides, you only need to get half off to fix a puncture anyway - 5 min
job!

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Checkernuts

I've had quite a few tires that are hard to get off, or hard to put on a
rim. This is the method that I use.

Make sure that all the air is out of the tube ( if its punctured you
can skip this step ).

Place your tire on your lap and move the bead of the tire to the center
of the rim, start at the valve stem and work out on both sides at the
same time.

When you get to the opposite side of the rim take your tire levers and
pull the bead off the rim, sometimes you need to use both levers, other
times one lever will do the job no problem. If it is really stuck on
the rim try working the levers in oppisite directions untill the bead
pops off.

When putting your trie back on, first try to force the bead on with
just your hands, if you can avoid using levers you should as there is a
chance you can grab your tube and cause a flat in the process. As
someone said some hand soap or shampoo can also help as a lubercate
between your tire and the rim.

And never use that slime, it makes a HUGE mess.

Chex

--
Checkernuts

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H2O

* -------muni militia -------
one wheeled death squad*
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 20th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

Alrighty, I just bought a new tube and replaced it.
The guy at the hardware store told me to put all the bead to one side,
then just pull it up and off with your hands.
To my surprise, it actually worked. No levers, no soap. Just using my
hands, I replaced my CC tire and it wasn't very hard to do.

Thanks for all the advice though. I didn't buy the slime. Right now,
I'm just cleaning and regreasing parts of my uni and then I'll be ready
to go.

Old November 21st 07, 09:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

CoreTechs wrote:
Alrighty, I just bought a new tube and replaced it.
The guy at the hardware store told me to put all the bead to one side,
then just pull it up and off with your hands.
To my surprise, it actually worked. No levers, no soap. Just using my
hands, I replaced my CC tire and it wasn't very hard to do.

Thanks for all the advice though. I didn't buy the slime. Right now,
I'm just cleaning and regreasing parts of my uni and then I'll be ready
to go.

You have a KH though right? KH rim has depth to it, and it is easy to
get tires off and onto that rim, along with Qu-Ax, and Koxx.

Torker however, uses a Alex DX32. That rim has a very square profile,
making it very hard to get the tire off. I have to use three of my tiny
plastic levers, and dish soap on it. With my KH rim, I can pull the
tire off so easily.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 21st 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gabetheunicycleman

everything is better with lube

--
gabetheunicycleman

Quotes from ACA
"two out of three of our children are directly involved with selling
drugs..."
"50% of all reproductive problems are because of the man..." and
from my mum "is titanium strong?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 21st 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

poor some boiling water on it, that makes the rubber much more flexxible
and the tube will come off real easy. Also patches are the way forward,
only cahnge the tube if u cant find the hole or if ur patches screw up

--
brendan

'--- CLICK ME ---' (www.lost.eu/6b72e)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 21st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

motocycle tubes= awesome
you don't have to worry about this stuff
i have pinch flatted a tire once since i started using them a few
months back, and that was off a 12 set... i'm happy with them and they
work great! i ride through sticker burrs and occasionally thorns and
have yet to get a flat because of them. motorcycle tubes are the way
to go!!!!

PS the tube size for a trials unicycle is going to be a 15x2.5-2.75 or
15x2.75-3.0(i have yet to see one, please link if you find/found one)

the tube size for a 24" MUNI tire would be a 20"x2.75
they are awesome tubes compared to the bicycle tubes and are much
higher quality, and lighter!

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes mostly'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

The UniSLAB wrote:
don't worry about those little clown tricks called flips and wrap
arounds. We don't dance with our unis, we jump them[over trucks]

sutton629 wrote:
I honestly have a hard time believing that you are really a white guy

http://www.usenet.com

How much would you pay for a T-patch? [email protected] Racing 0 April 28th 07 03:54 AM
to patch or not to patch? Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 19 February 2nd 06 02:01 PM
Patch kits Tamyka Bell Australia 21 January 13th 06 08:12 PM
PATCH KITS Frankie Marketplace 2 December 21st 04 11:00 PM
New! MUC Uni Patch Tmornstar Unicycling 21 March 16th 04 03:17 AM