Bike computer that work in the rain

Old May 27th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike computer that work in the rain

My old Avocet 45tt bike computer has died and I need to replace it. There
were several things I really liked about this computer:

1) It was rain-proof. I have ridden many hundred of miles in the wet with
it and never had a problem with it leaking.

2) It always worked in the rain (actually, the cadence feature wouldn't
always work in the wet, but you can't have everything). This distinguised
it from other bike computers I have owned that stop reading speed with the
contacts on the mount get soaked.

3) It had cadence. Silly, I realize, but I enjoy it.

4) The odometer was settable so that if you did a mid-year battery change
you could re-enter the mileage. Also probably silly, but I enjoy keeping
track of my mileage as the year goes by (about 2850 so far this year).

I am a high-mileage comuter in Seattle so stuff that won't survive rain
doesn't have much place on my bike. I suppose wireless would solve some of
the rain reliability problems, if it really works reliably the rest of the
time.

I would appreciate hearing about the experience of others with similar
requirements. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Old May 27th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"James Gladden" wrote in
:

[...]

I'm in your neck of the woods, and I commute 2-3 days a week between
Mill Creek and Redmond (35 miles RT). I've been using Sigma Sport
computers for the last couple of years and have had great luck with them
with wired mounts (but have had 2 wireless kits fail on me). I'm
currently using a BC1200, which replaced a BC800 I moved to my mountain
bike. I got the 1200 because it has dual wheel sizes, and I switch back
& forth between 28mm clinchers and 22mm sewups, depending on mood &
conditions.

I think the BC1600 would fit all of your conditions, at least 3 & 4
objectively. As to 1 & 2, like I say, I haven't had a wired mount fail
yet.

Old May 27th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Just apply some vaseline in the contact area; it prevents water doing
its shortcutting work.

Martin

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old May 27th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2006-05-27, Hank Wirtz wrote:
"James Gladden" wrote in
:

[...]

Where did you find one of these? I'm always switching wheelsets between
42mm and 28mm and this would be handy. I also would like a spare sensor.
I bet the Sigma was cheap too. My DC600 was about $10.00 and still works
great after 10K+ miles. It's just a hassle to reset every time I change
wheelsets.

Old May 27th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:14:54 GMT, chuck
wrote:

Where did you find one of these? I'm always switching wheelsets between
42mm and 28mm and this would be handy. I also would like a spare sensor.
I bet the Sigma was cheap too. My DC600 was about $10.00 and still works
great after 10K+ miles. It's just a hassle to reset every time I change
wheelsets.

At a price of $10, why not buy a second computer, and just replace the
head when changing tire size. The Sigma Sport Targa that I had, was
removable from its mounting bracket. It slid in and out, locking in
place. I think most of them do that, my Cateye Astrales both do.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old May 27th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

James Gladden wrote:
[...]

Cateye Astrale has cadence. My older model has survived many rainy
miles this year; I would expect the newer Astrale would also be rainproof.

Mark

Old May 28th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know of somewhere is the greater
Seattle area that sells Sigma? Or did you get yours mail order?

Jim

"Hank Wirtz" wrote in message
6...
"James Gladden" wrote in
:

Old May 28th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 26 May 2006 21:43:54 -0700, James Gladden wrote:

[...]

I've never had any trouble with my Shimano Flight Deck, and I get rained
on a lot too. I really like the wireless aspect because there are no
wires on the bike, except under the handlebar tape. It has cadence, BTW,
which it calculates from gear position and speed.

I wouldn't have bought a Flight Deck because it's pretty expensive, but it
came with the bike. Now that I have it I like it, and I'd buy another.
The gear indicator is nice.

Matt O.
Old May 28th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"James Gladden" wrote in
:

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know of somewhere is the greater
Seattle area that sells Sigma? Or did you get yours mail order?

Loads of shops carry Sigma. I know REI does, and Performance nee Supergo
did, too.

REI.com has the BC1200 (no cadence) in their outlet section for $23 with
the wireless mount at the moment, and you can have it shipped to any REI
store for pickup to avoid shipping charges. Try it with the wireless, and
if it gives you grief, the wired mount was $7 at Redmond Cycle, maybe
cheaper elsewhere. The BC1600 is $34 with a wired mount, but the cadence
kit may be optional.
Old May 28th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Good for you! Perhaps it's me then, but I've had a couple of Sigma
computers and a few lights. ALL of them fail intermittantly. I guess
I'm just not meant to be a Sigma usere...

My Speialized work great except in the rain - their mounts suck in rain
to the contact area like through a straw.

I've had problems with Trek as the sensor is not sealed. It's a little
tube with a rubber cap. The cap will come loose and, in the rain, it
will fill with water and fail.

My CatEye has worked in the rain so far, but it's not had very much
exposure.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
"James Gladden" wrote in
: