1 foot wheel walk. need tips

Old November 2nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

Default 1 foot wheel walk. need tips

timbob1907 wrote:
Im learning now! I can almost do it consistently. Im sort of working
on gliding at the same time by kicking harder and sliding my foot on
the tire to slow myself down. If you can call that gliding. Im pretty
close but one question: how do you go straight from riding to gliding?
do you put your foot on teh frame first or on the tire to slow
yourself?

you move both feet at the same time.

--
torkerdx

their are 2 types of unicyclist. ones who can suck it up and go for
things and ones who can't. guess which ones become good?

some people live a hundred years without truly living 1second
torkerdx's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12543

Old November 2nd 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timbob1907

how do you know you cant do it! Probably from watching BC... you must
really look up to him

--
timbob1907

Cheers,
___Tim
Post 110110 on MR 'My 777th post that got me into MRIS'
(http://tinyurl.com/ylckes)

forrestunifreak wrote:
I'm addicted to placebo's. I should stop taking them, but
it wouldn't matter anyway.

Ducttape wrote:
A cx? yeah..... the seat isn't really a seat it's a brick in
disguise.....

timbob1907's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13425

Old November 2nd 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

phlegm wrote:
Once I learned to 2-foot WW -slowly-, 1-foot WW seemed almost trivial.
I suggest that you practice 2-foot WW more slowly.

1 foot wheel walking was not almost trivial for me. I hate you.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Dirty Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old November 2nd 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

john_childs wrote:
1 foot wheel walking was not almost trivial for me. I hate you.

Well, if it's any consolation, I spent several months learning
2-footed. So, perhaps I just waited too long to try 1-footed.

To smoothly transition from riding to gliding, I put my tire foot out
front a split second before my frame foot leaves the pedal to rest on
the frame.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old November 2nd 06, 08:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

phlegm wrote:
Well, if it's any consolation, I spent several months learning 2-footed.
So, perhaps I just waited too long to try 1-footed.

My hate was in jest. I don't hate you.

I do, however, learn new skills like wheel walking slowly. It takes me
a while. I'm also lazy about practicing and don't put in full effort
(or sometimes even a partial effort) to learn new skills so that's part
of the reason it takes me a while. The other reason is because I'm a
bit of a klutz.

My next goal is to learn to glide. To make the goal reasonable I'm
going to go for glide b4 50. I've still got a few years left.

Old November 2nd 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dan de man

phlegm wrote:
I mean that it followed naturally without much extra effort. It took me
several months to learn 2-foot WW, but it only took me a week at most
after that to pick up 1-foot WW.

hear hear

--
dan de man

\"underestimate zombies and you get eaten\"
i got post 77000&99000&11001 in 'm'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27264)'r'
(http://tinyurl.com/m6hs6)
'.' (http://tinyurl.com/gsfgg)'.' (http://postsecret.blogspot.com/)'.'
(http://tinyurl.com/f7bag)
pm me to rent a . any site you want (nothing rude though)
kington99 wrote:
Easy, a fencepost made out of cheese is worth nothing, as it is entirely
unsuitable for its chosen task.

Belive almighty \"Jerrick\" the wise
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

Old January 6th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1wheelwonder

I can't lean back, I fall off but when I lean forwards, I fall off
anyway, any tips?

--
1wheelwonder

I got my new nimbus freestyle, and it's like learning to wheel walk all
over again!
Old January 6th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

1wheelwonder;1164957 wrote:
I can't lean back, I fall off but when I lean forwards, I fall off
anyway, any tips?

If you fall when you lean back and you fall when you lean forward, then
obviously you need to not lean.

There's plenty of good advice here already. Keep practicing.

--
phlegm
Old January 6th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

1wheelwonder;1164957 wrote:
I can't lean back, I fall off but when I lean forwards, I fall off
anyway, any tips?

Leaning slightly forwards is the right thing to do, but you need to make
the wheel catch you so give it a reasonably strong kick or push forwards
with your foot. Then unlike two footed wheel walking you don't have
another connection with the wheel with your other foot, so you need to
apply some pressure to the wheel as you drag your foot back to it's
initial pushing/kicking position. The dragging on the wheel will slow
you down slightly at first (cos you don't yet have fine gliding control)
but with a strong enough kick you will eventually get the feeling of
control from your foot dragging on the tire.

Learning gliding is extremely fun so I recommend learning one footed
wheel walking to anyone who cannot do it yet. Persist and it pays off!

--
Rowan
Old January 6th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nimblelight

Rowan;1164959 wrote:
Leaning slightly forwards is the right thing to do

I would like to note that it most definitely feels like you're leaning
backwards, not only because of the drag effect in between strokes at the
beginning but also because your leg is much further forward and you have
to compensate for that.

It is also easier to slow down(leaning back) than to speed up(leaning
forward).

The main thing isn't really the kick, either, until you get the hang of
doing it without contact with the wheel between kicks. To me it was the
semi-gliding bits.

Note: my opinion might be influenced by the fact that I learned 1ft
wheelwalk downhill.

--
nimblelight

It doesn't really matter, because I am an afoodist who unicycles for
food.
'Colorado Unicyclists click here'
(http://z13.invisionfree.com/Colorado_Unicycles/)

Need help with Wheel Walk Uni-D3 Unicycling 10 May 4th 06 07:55 PM
backwards wheel walk amanda.gallacher Unicycling 15 July 6th 05 01:29 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
The Basics of Wheel Alignment and Wheelbuilding Jeff Napier Techniques 338 August 23rd 04 09:17 PM
Coasting learning progression... andrew_carter Unicycling 2 October 26th 03 08:40 PM