Idiots on the A1

Old August 16th 07, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Robert Peffers.

Default Idiots on the A1

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:59:36 -0000 someone who may be Geoff Lane
wrote this:-

if
someone finally lost their temper and drove over them and their bloody
bicycles it would be hard to condemn them for their actions.

It is always interesting when the mask slips and the "poor
downtrodden motorist" is revealed in their true form.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Perhaps if the two abreast idiot cyclists had known the law the motorist
would not be so upset about cyclists in general. Only two minutes ago I saw
two pass my gate riding two abreast ON THE PAVEMENT.
--

Robert Peffers,
Kelty,

Old August 16th 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Clive George

"Robert Peffers." wrote in message

Because, you bloody idiot, the complaint is about the ones illegally using
the roads.

Which ones would that be?

clive

Old August 16th 07, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Simon D

After serious thinking Robert Peffers. wrote :
"Martin Dann" wrote in message
Artleknock wrote:
Before I start a rant - I have been a cyclist all my life.
On Sunday morning the 5th I was driving down the A1 about a couple of
miles short of the first A1M after Scotch corner when I joined a long
tail back of traffic. On finaly reaching the hold up it was a bloke on
a bike, drop handle bars, crash hat, lycra budgie smugglers, the
works, riding on the carriageway!! A bit further on there was a
marshal at the next turn off. The idiots were doing time trials on a
major trunk road on the same day that all the holiday makers were
heading home from up north.

I regularly ride on dual carriage way A roads. In fact I commute to work on
a dual carriage way. I have no choice about this as my company is placed
next to a dual carriage way.

Do you object that I have to ride in the carriageway, or do you expect me
to get off and bow as you pass.

If you truly are a cyclist as you claim, why are you ranting about cyclists
legally using British roads.

Because, you bloody idiot, the complaint is about the ones illegally using
the roads.

Perhaps you should check the law? You could then reconsider who the
idiot in this thread actually is. It'll be the Cycle Racing on Highways
Regulations 1960 (with 1980 and 1995 amendments) that you're looking
for.

--
Simon

Old August 16th 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Raven[_3_]

Default N

Robert Peffers. wrote:

Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.

Except the law doesn't. Of course if you think I am wrong feel free to
cite the relevant Act or Regulation.

Tony
Old August 16th 07, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Raven[_3_]

Robert Peffers. wrote:

Because, you bloody idiot, the complaint is about the ones illegally using
the roads.

Which would those be and why?

Tony
Old August 16th 07, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Robert Peffers.

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... wrote:

I crawled along behind two cyclists on a narrow Devon lane recently.
They were the epitome of 'smug' - dressed in bloody silly lycra costumes
with daft pointed pixie helmets and wrap-around sunglasses as they
slowly rode two abreast up a hill, preventing anything from passing them.

The emanations of self-righteous 'greenness' coming from these two gaily
coloured carnival performers was almost overpowering! - and if someone
finally lost their temper and drove over them and their bloody bicycles
it would be hard to condemn them for their actions.

You sound just like the caravanner's best friend, Jeremy Clarkson.

Tony

Look, I'm all for live and let live, but let's face it, there are a lot of
cyclists out there who flout the law and give reasonable cyclists a bad
name.It is long past time they were made to pass a test, pay road tax and
insure themselves for at least third party.
--

Robert Peffers,
Kelty,

Old August 16th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
David Hansen

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:12:16 +0100 someone who may be "Robert
Peffers." wrote this:-

Reading between your lines, and particularly your second paragraph, I
suspect that if you could have "squeezed past" you would have - even
though
that would have been unsafe. So, IMO the cyclists' are completely
vindicated.

Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.

Which law is that then? Feel free to post chapter and verse, so we
may check the veracity of your assertion. If you cannot do so then
we may laugh at you.

FYI someone claiming to be a driving instructor once came to
uk.rec.cycling and stated that there was a sign which indicates that
cyclists must use a cycle route. When this assertion was challenged
he was not able to produce chapter and verse, because he was
completely and utterly wrong.

Of course you would not know that as cyclists do not pass driving tests -
and it shows.

The man claiming to be a driving instructor posted something similar
and ended up looking foolish when he could not back up his
assertion.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old August 16th 07, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article .com,
says...
On Aug 16, 11:47 am, Rob Morley wrote:
In article , Artleknock
says...

Before I start a rant - I have been a cyclist all my life.
On Sunday morning the 5th I was driving down the A1 about a couple of
miles short of the first A1M after Scotch corner when I joined a long
tail back of traffic. On finaly reaching the hold up it was a bloke on
a bike, drop handle bars, crash hat, lycra budgie smugglers, the
works, riding on the carriageway!! A bit further on there was a
marshal at the next turn off. The idiots were doing time trials on a
major trunk road on the same day that all the holiday makers were
heading home from up north.

20mph safe stopping distance is 12 metres
70mph safe stopping distance is 96 metres

20/70 x 96/12 = 16/7 so the road has over twice the capacity (that's
throughput, not parking space) at 20mph than it has at 70mph.

Twice the capacity if both lanes are used, but I assume the cars stuck
to the right hand lane, so about the same capacity, but still a valid
point.

I should have said the /lane/ has over twice the capacity, on the
assumption that everyone in the nearside lane was doing 20mph and
everyone in the offside was doing 70mph

I don't think the cyclists would be at all happy with cars
filling the 1 minute gap between each cyclist.

When I was time trialling I always used to wish that motor vehicles
would give me less space, for a better tow. :-)

2 miles at 70mph takes 103 seconds
2 miles at 20mph takes 360 seconds
so the most that anyone will be delayed is about 4 minutes. That's not
4 minutes sat still in a traffic jam, just 4 minutes driving slowly.

Where does 2 miles come from?

"a couple of miles short of the first A1M after Scotch corner" - I
assumed he was turning off there, but maybe not.
Old August 16th 07, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Rob Morley

In article , Robert Peffers.
says...

Because, you bloody idiot, the complaint is about the ones illegally using
the roads.

What exactly do you think the cyclists were doing that was illegal?