"hands-off" road test

Old July 17th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Robert Norton

Default "hands-off" road test

Test-riding a used Dawes Galaxy tourer today I found it was difficult /
impossible to ride with hands off. Frame did not seem to be out of line.
Head bearing was not stiff. A 2008 model it had the modern frame geometry
with slightly slanting top tube. It wasn't that it pulled to one side; it
was just very dicky and could swerve to either side. It had the usual 42"
wheelbase.
I love a bike you can easily ride without hands so did not buy this one.
Anyone hazard a guess as to what might be wrong? I have an older Dawes with
hrizontal top tube and it rides like a dream.
Rob N