Air Quality

Old September 15th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Air Quality

They said that spending the day outside is like smoking 8 cigarettes.
Old September 15th 20, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 10:17:13 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
They said that spending the day outside is like smoking 8 cigarettes.

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/portland/ It varies by the hour. We're hazardous but trending toward unhealthy. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go for an unhealthy ride this evening. It may even get to "unhealthy for sensitive groups" around 6:00 -- and then back to hazardous.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 15th 20, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 1:03:40 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 10:17:13 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
They said that spending the day outside is like smoking 8 cigarettes.

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/portland/ It varies by the hour. We're hazardous but trending toward unhealthy. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go for an unhealthy ride this evening. It may even get to "unhealthy for sensitive groups" around 6:00 -- and then back to hazardous.

-- Jay Beattie.

Since my lungs have had enough for one lifetime I won't ride until we have descent air quality. Maybe an easy ride this weekend.
Old September 16th 20, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 9/15/2020 1:03 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 10:17:13 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
They said that spending the day outside is like smoking 8 cigarettes.

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/portland/ It varies by the hour. We're hazardous but trending toward unhealthy. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go for an unhealthy ride this evening. It may even get to "unhealthy for sensitive groups" around 6:00 -- and then back to hazardous.

-- Jay Beattie.

Definitely changes fast. aqicn.org (currently) doesn't even try to
forecast more than three days in advance for Salem, and only seems to
update the forecast once or twice daily. Consequently, I've taken to
assuming the worst rather than basing too much on the forecast. So far,
I've been right. Yesterday's forecast for *now* was around 150, actual
is 412 ("Hazardous").

I don't blame them; I suspect their models are essentially weather
models; what we have going on right now is not exactly "weather." I
think the fires even screw up the wind pattern forecasts.

Mark J.
Old September 16th 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/16/2020 3:45 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 9/15/2020 1:03 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 10:17:13 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
They said that spending the day outside is like smoking 8 cigarettes.

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/portland/Â*Â* It varies by the hour.
We're hazardous but trending toward unhealthy.Â* Hmmm. Maybe I'll go
for an unhealthy ride this evening. It may even get to "unhealthy for
sensitive groups" around 6:00 -- and then back to hazardous.

-- Jay Beattie.

Definitely changes fast.Â* aqicn.org (currently) doesn't even try to
forecast more than three days in advance for Salem, and only seems to
update the forecast once or twice daily.Â* Consequently, I've taken to
assuming the worst rather than basing too much on the forecast.Â* So far,
I've been right.Â* Yesterday's forecast for *now* was around 150, actual
is 412 ("Hazardous").

I don't blame them; I suspect their models are essentially weather
models; what we have going on right now is not exactly "weather."Â* I
think the fires even screw up the wind pattern forecasts.

Just as a point of interest, I'm 2500 miles away and seeing visual
effects of your smoke. Skies are all hazy because of it, and the setting
sun was a dim orange ball last night.

But here it's all in the upper atmosphere. No breathing problems.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 16th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Up here in British Columbia, it is now somewhat uncomfortable to stare
directly at the sun. I’m taking that as good news.

Old September 17th 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 9/16/2020 1:41 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Glad it's not down on your level where you have to breathe it. Just to
be fussy, I think you're seeing southern California's smoke, based on a
satellite photo I've seen (band of smoke direct from So Cal to upper
midwest).

For a while ours (Oregon) was going out to sea and building up quite a
"reserve" so that when the wind reverts to a more normal westerly
direction, we'll still have smoke for a few days. Oh fun.

Current local AQI: 394; Over 300 is "Hazardous."

Mark J.
Old September 17th 20, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 4:19:49 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Time for a ride! Cough, cough. I will go roll around easily if I get my lawn mowed after work.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 17th 20, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:03:37 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/portland/ It varies by the hour. We're
hazardous but trending toward unhealthy. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go for an unhealthy
ride this evening. It may even get to "unhealthy for sensitive groups" around
6:00 -- and then back to hazardous.
-- Jay Beattie.

Thursday morning (9/17/2020), Portland air still looks really bad:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#9.14/45.4645/-122.6204
The hourly variations in smoke levels seem to be about 2.5 times.
Click on any of the purple dots and you'll get an AQI history graph
for the previous four days.

Satellite photo still shows considerable smoke over most of the left
coast:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus_band.php?sat=G17&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12

Even Indiana is seeing some smoke:
https://gispub.epa.gov/airnow/

SF Bay coastal area were fairly clear yesterday, but have become worse
today:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#8.87/37.3508/-122.0335
Calif Sierras are as bad as Portland:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#6.89/38.138/-120.995

At AQI = 250 or worse, I would think twice about doing any riding.
When we were running AQI = 150, I was coughing a little, had a
continuous mild headache, was regularly clearing my sinuses, and was
using eyedrops to reduce burning eye problems.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 17th 20, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yesterday I took a short ride out to Alameda and back. The air was as good as you could want.

Chainring quality Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 1 September 12th 10 03:50 AM
quality John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 8 August 10th 08 12:00 AM
Better quality back rim [email protected] General 5 April 15th 08 03:32 AM
Better quality back rim Tom Sherman[_2_] Techniques 0 April 14th 08 12:02 AM
FS Top quality [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 11th 07 08:38 PM