Hydrate or Die... or

Old April 17th 05, 05:28 PM
Zoot Katz

17 Apr 2005 03:49:35 -0700,
. com, "Absent
Husband" wrote:

bbaka wrote:

"I raided an
orchard one time thinking I was eating small plums and they turned out
to be prunes. "

snip

Errrrrrrrrrr - aren't prunes just dried plums???????????????

Yes, but don't tell bb.

"Prunes are a group of plums chacterized by an oblong shape, dark
purple skin (often with a blue, waxy "bloom" or coating) and a very
high sugar content (the high sugar allows for sun-drying without
fermenting at the pit). These are generally referred to as European
plums or prune plums, to distinguish them from Japanese and hybrid
plums, which are generally rounder in shape and with watery flesh."

- Douglas Justice
Associate Director
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

There used to be a beauty on the rental property at the end of my
block. The tenants never picked them so the birds shared them with me
and I shared them with friends. The house was torn down last year and
the tree is gone. I've still a few jars of plum jam.

My favourite cherry tree is gone now too. It was huge.
--
zk
Old April 17th 05, 08:47 PM
bbaka

Absent Husband wrote:
bbaka wrote:

"I raided an
orchard one time thinking I was eating small plums and they turned out
to be prunes. "

snip

Errrrrrrrrrr - aren't prunes just dried plums???????????????

Absent Husband...

Supposedly.
But I found out that the old wives tale about them cleaning your pipes
is true if you eat too many of them. These were too small to be of any
use for sale as plums so it may be that there is a variety grown to be
used as prunes.
Beats the crap out of ex-lax.
This one caused me to exercise caution as to what I eat on the longer
rides in the country, and to take some emergency 'paper', not of the
reading kind.
Now I take Water, tools, minor med kit, food, and the above mentioned
supplies. When I go out I am sometimes over 30 miles from even a
roadside bar/grill.
Bill Baka
Old April 17th 05, 11:16 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

AustinMN wrote:

Largest study ever done (about 4 years ago) on sodium vs. lifespan
found that (almost) across the board, people consuming more sodium
lived longer.

If you're referring to the 1998 Alderman study, it's not that simple:
they did find an inverse association of mortality with sodium intake,
but also a positive association of mortality with sodium-to-calorie ratio.

[Lancet 1998; 351: 781-85]

Old April 17th 05, 11:27 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Werehatrack wrote:

I believe there is an old saying, "Moderation in all things,
and all things in moderation."

It's from Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics".

--
"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks." -- Robert A. Heinlein,

Old April 18th 05, 12:23 PM
Doug Huffman

And "correlation is not cause."

"LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m" wrote in
message news:BeB8e.29803$A31.26319@fed1read03...

Old April 18th 05, 03:30 PM
Peter Cole

Werehatrack wrote:

I believe there is an old saying, "Moderation in all things,
and all things in moderation."

It's from Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics".

--
"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks." -- Robert A. Heinlein,
"Time Enough For Love" (1973)

Seeing how this is marathon day here in Boston, I think it's
appropriate to say few words in defense of unnecessary, but "heroic",
efforts. I think the same motives drive people to ride centuries,
double-centuries and beyond, and run marathons. It's not just
machismo/bragging rights or some latent masochism, but rather the human
need to test ourselves.

It's easy to mock much-less-than-world-class athletes as they struggle
with their individual limitations, viewing them as deluded "Walter
Mitty" types, but that's a sad and impoverished perspective. It's
marathon day, I salute them all, those running for the prize and those
running for the painful joy of having done it!