YAWTT (Yet Another World Trip Thread)

Old April 19th 05, 05:50 AM

Default YAWTT (Yet Another World Trip Thread)

Greetings,

My name is Jason, I live in the U.S. and I'm planning an
around-the-world trip for a charity (Oxfam). While I've never done
anything long-distance like this, I've been cycling exclusively for
transportation since around 1994 and I'm an improv sort of guy anyway.

Looked through the groups and while there are some good posts and lots
of great links, I still have some (mostly) unanswered questions.

I'd prefer answers from people with direct experience but I'm not about
to insult theorists in the process. So experience preferred, anyone
welcome. =)

1) Recumbent, trike or upright? I've been cycling for about 10 years
for 100% of my transportation, all of it on a mountain-style bike. My
current bike is a Cannondale and I like it, but it isn't the most
comfortable thing in the world and frankly, I think I'd greatly enjoy
the sit-back style of a 'bent and the lowered wind resistance.

If I assume that a recumbent/trike gives me 25% less drag than an
upright and that I'll be cycling at 15mph average for four hours per
day (just for comparison sake, that probably won't be my speed), my
calculations show I'll be about 140 miles ahead of an upright after
only a week.

On the other hand, there is the issue of spare parts, durability and
getting it on transportation, which I will need to do on rare occasions
(like crossing the Atlantic), but not generally.

2) Country Access. I have found the U.S. State Department list of
countries
(http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...ures_1229.html) but
I'm guessing there is an easier way of doing this. Have there been any
people who just *went* and dealt with these issues as they moved along?

3) Map Software. Currently I'm using Autoroute UK but that's only for
the UK leg of the trip. I'm considering resorting to honest-to-god
physical maps. Again, suggestions? I'll eventually have to move all
the data to a Palm (or Vaio, or whatever) so a software solution is
much preferred.

4) Terrain. Assuming I stick to major cities (Bologna, Milan, Algiers,
Paris, Berlin, etc.) and traveling between them directly, can I assume
paved roads? Are there stretches where a recumbent/trike are simply
impossible to use? On the opposite side, are there situations in which
there are ONLY major roads and bikes aren't allowed on?

That's it for now but I'm SURE there will be more questions.

Thanks much in advance,
Jason

Old April 19th 05, 02:07 PM
Mike Vermeulen

I'd prefer answers from people with direct experience but I'm not about
to insult theorists in the process. So experience preferred, anyone
welcome. =)

I haven't ridden around the world. I did take a 12-month 17,700 mile
ride through Australia, USA, India and New Zealand
(http://www.mvermeulen.com/oneyear/). I am also in early stages of
dreaming and scheming of another long ride, hopefully across Asia.

1) Recumbent, trike or upright? I've been cycling for about 10 years
for 100% of my transportation, all of it on a mountain-style bike. My
current bike is a Cannondale and I like it, but it isn't the most
comfortable thing in the world and frankly, I think I'd greatly enjoy
the sit-back style of a 'bent and the lowered wind resistance.

I have seen people do both and either can be made to work. However I
personally don't see a 25% less drag on my recumbent than on my
touring bike. In the developed world, I don't think you will have a
big difference between a recumbent, trike or mountain-style bike.

However, I personally would favor a mountain bike since in the
developing world, you'll see some rough roads and the 26" wheel/tube
is more common than others (particularly if your recumbent/trike has
different size wheels).

In any case, I'd recommend doing a "shakedown trip" or two with your
intended bicycle. For example, try a week or so ride along some
representative terrain/area before starting out.

2) Country Access. I have found the U.S. State Department list of
countries
(http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...ures_1229.html) but
I'm guessing there is an easier way of doing this. Have there been any
people who just *went* and dealt with these issues as they moved along?

Visas and health issues can be a big blocker on a trip like this, so
particularly for some of the developing countries I think you'll need
to do such legwork. That isn't to say you'll probably still be
adjusting some as you go along since that is the nature of a trip like
this.

There is a well written book, "One More Horizon" about Scott Zamek's
trip "from Ohio to Hong Kong the Long Way". Scott did some level of
just going and dealing with these issues along the way and you can
read about some of the outcomes in his book.

Ed Gennochio's recent trip from UK to Hong Kong via Russia, Mongolia,
China is also an interesting read (http://www.2wheels.org.uk/). Ed
crossed less countries and did a little more planning up front but
still had to work with the unexpected after his bicycle was stolen.

As I'm scheming about my next long trip in 2007(?), a strong
possibility is to bicycle across Russia. One of the attractions to
doing this is a new road was opened across Siberia in 2004. Hence
fewer visas to get. As I think of crossing Asia, it seems like the
"classic route" via Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan/India , China?
(or other way around Myanmar) has become more difficult these past
years, particularly on a US/UK passport. As a shakedown trip in 2006,
I'm thinking of a several week ride in European Russia to get a better
feel to plan for a ride across Siberia.

3) Map Software. Currently I'm using Autoroute UK but that's only for
the UK leg of the trip. I'm considering resorting to honest-to-god
physical maps. Again, suggestions? I'll eventually have to move all
the data to a Palm (or Vaio, or whatever) so a software solution is
much preferred.

I tend to get physical maps. If I can find them, I like them with
both English and non-English place names. This way I can point at the
map and ask a local for directions. I also sometimes find myself
writing out place names on index cards since locals don't always
understand my pronunciation.

4) Terrain. Assuming I stick to major cities (Bologna, Milan, Algiers,
Paris, Berlin, etc.) and traveling between them directly, can I assume
paved roads? Are there stretches where a recumbent/trike are simply
impossible to use? On the opposite side, are there situations in which
there are ONLY major roads and bikes aren't allowed on?

I think there is a large variety of options through Europe and others
can better describe alternatives there. The Trento Bike Pages
(http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/) are a particularly good
source there.

The key questions for me would be more in the developing world. What
are you thinking of in crossing Asia? Will you be riding across
Africa or parts of South America? Once you get east of the EU, how to
make sure your Visa's are in place, etc. I would get answers to these
questions by reading trip reports, asking in forums like this, but
particularly trying a one to three week ride in some places like
Morocco, Ukraine or Turkey to try out equipment and get more of a feel
for cycling in similar places.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen