Changing of the season

Old October 15th 18, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Changing of the season

Today is washday, and my weight-lifting gloves are in the second load.
From last week until April or May I'll wear the plastic bicycle gloves
that fit under fuzzy gloves, and I like things to be clean when I put
them away for the winter.

The cotton backs of the gloves have faded to gray, but they still
bleed like a stuck pig -- presumably from the black leather. So I've
got a very small load consisting of black socks, one pair of black
gloves, and one pair of dark-brown grubbies.

I wonder whether "grubbies" for clothing worn for dirty work is
dialect or idiolect? Definitely not very common -- it's not in my
spelling checker.

I must not be taking my writing seriously. I don't even know where
the very cheap quick-reference dictionary I used to keep beside the
keyboard is. Now and again, I wanted to use a word that I wasn't sure
all my readers would understand, so I'd look it up in that small book,
and if I didn't find it, I'd define it on first reference.

# asterism #

Gloves hanging in the laundry room -- I hope that I remember to put
them away before spring! I also washed my sheer linen scarf and put
it away -- I'll wear fuzzy cotton-linen until silk-scarf-with-a-wool-
liner season. We skipped over medium-weight linen season, and it
hasn't been more than two weeks since I put away the white linen
do-rag.

In addition to laundry, I managed to finish cutting out twenty-eight
parts for a sewing project -- almost. I had marked the last few
pieces with a dying pen, and hadn't noticed. One piece -- I *think*
it's *one* piece -- is so faint that I couldn't see to touch it up, so
I've set it aside until I see what's missing.

Lovely evening out there -- I may go for a walk after supper.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com

Old October 21st 18, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

A premature season change: I washed clothes on Monday, rode to the
hospital on Tuesday, and rode to Goodwill on Thursday. On Saturday I
discovered that I have only two pairs of thick wool socks. I wish I'd
known that when I stopped at Big R on my way home from Goodwill.

My Fox River socks are thin on top, and the ragg-wool socks were
exactly warm enough, so I wore one of my two pairs of purple "wool"
woman's socks. They are no thicker than the ragg socks, and have only
traces of wool among the mystery fibers, but I also have a pair of
gray man's socks of the same fibers and weight, which fit nicely over
the purple socks. If I were to put a newspaper sleeve over that, I'd
sweat in a blizzard.

It's way past time to sort out my winter clothes and see what I've
got. I'm *sure* I have some non-cotton tights! But the weather
stayed sunny and dry until I got back from the farmers' markets. We
had a wind-wall storm during my afternoon nap.

But I don't expect to find pieces of willow all over in the morning.
We had the weak bits trimmed off it last summer. The Chinese-
porcelain effect of the remaining half still looks odd to me.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

---
https://www.avg.com

Must Be The Season of the Mud Tom Kunich[_4_] Racing 3 September 21st 17 11:09 AM
open season ray Australia 7 August 10th 08 11:47 AM
First Bug of the Season Stephen Harding General 13 April 21st 06 02:54 PM
Changing small change Mountain Biking 9 February 15th 05 03:27 PM
Know what I like about season over [email protected] Mountain Biking 5 September 17th 04 04:33 PM